Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ariellasdaddy

Chicken Soup

Guest ariellasdaddy

I know this has probably come up a zillion times throughout the years, but what's the deal with chicken soup? How many points per 8 ounces if i skim the fat? Does that make it chicken broth? And what about the vegetables in there, like the carrots, celery, zuccini, etc. Thanks!

Mmmmm... i love soup!

My WW books lists chicken soup, without matzo balls, as 1 point for 1 cup.

If you have a recipe and know what's in there, you could point out the whole thing. (i.e., if you use FF broth, and only 0 point veggies, it would be 0 ... but if you use lots of chicken, peas, potoatoes, corn, etc ... it would be more points).

For example, the ever present can Campbells canned Italian Wedding soup that i have at my office desk, in case i forget to make my sandwich is 110 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 2 grams fiber for each 1 cup serving. There are 2 - servings in the microwavable bowl. That is 2 points for each serving ... or 4 for the entire container.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

Guest ariellasdaddy

Thanks for answering. Actually, it's homemade. We use a chicken, and add carrots, celery, zuchini, sweet potato, and sometimes parsnip along with spices (black pepper, some Mrs. Dash, paprika, etc.) and after bringing to a boil, we let it simmer for about four hours. We let it cool, put it in the fridge, and then use a skimmer to take out the fat. Now granted some of the veggies in there will cost some points, but without the fat, I would think it becomes fat free, and if I have just the soup without the vegetables, I guess that would be one, in accordance with your book. Thanks again!