Health Discovery Network
Guest Newliferva

Runners thread July 14

YES TAWNYA! You are insane!!! But very, very cool!!!:bcbsalute

So noone wanted to answer my question?:sobbing: ;)

I'll re-ask it:

I am now running 10k in a little over 1 hour. Should my next step be to try to improve my time, or to run longer? I am considering doing a 90 k ski race in februry (I was supposed to have done it last year, but I hurt my back) so for that, I guess an increased mileage would be right... What do you think?

Anyone?

Going to the gym today, then run friday and saturday evening or sunday morning. Depends on the weather. If it's to hot sat I'll go sunday.

See you!

H

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

Guest Newliferva

Hey Texas-insane? yes but in a good way as in comitted. I understand the addiction thing tho. when ever we go away for the weekend I always have to find out how and where I can get in my Saturday morning run. We are planning on going on a cruise for Christmas and one of my requirements is that they have a running track,LOL!!! My area is flat so I haven't taken on any hills yet. My doc. says that running up hill is bad for my achilles tendon, so I probably will avoid those for a while! Carry on, I know you will do great at your next race!!!!:kiss:

Christa-1-1 sounds like a nice way to get back into running. Is the TFL close or part of the hip flexor??

Hi Hanna-since I don't run races I would'nt know how to answer you.

Cassie-I know what you mean my DH thinks I am inflexible when it comes to my exercising. Yet he doesn't do any, we used to argue about it but heck there are enough things to argue about in a marriage. I stopped. He will realize soon, I hope that exercise will speed his weight loss and make him healther! Now my contribution is to make his lunch so he can stay out of the fast food joints:bcbsalute I am doing well, ran yesterday on my old route in the neighborhood still at 30 minutes, I clocked it and it seems to be almost 3 miles. Swelling is down and pain is pretty much gone:D

Katie

Katie, I don't run races either! I'm doing a cross country ski race in February!! :crazy:

I just want to keep improving on my running!

H

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

Guest Newliferva

Hanna-Oh well in that case IMHO I would improve on my duration. Speed is not important to me tho. :bcbsalute Katie

Christa-1-1 sounds like a nice way to get back into running. Is the TFL close or part of the hip flexor??

Yes and it's working out well. Yesterday we ran 1.5-1 for 40mins - it's really working out well. Eventually when my strength is up we'll start to eliminate the 1min rests. The TFL is on the side of your leg. I posted a diagram somewhere in this thread. Are you haven't problems with your hip flexor?

Recommit - Jan 2008

Highest weight - 170

170/142(ww)/137(pg)

Guest 1texasmom

Hanna - I go for distance, too. I just want to do it all. I'm not in a hurry to get there. I enjoy the journey.

Did my 18 miles!!! It took me 4 hours and 12 minutes. (See Hanna, no speed!) Nothing seems to hurt at the moment - well, except my toes and those always hurt. My legs and feet were just very tired afterwards.

Way to go, Texasmom! That is amazing.

Hanna--I go for distance as well. I run 5ks every now and then for speed, but any other race I do is just to finish. For me, the accomplishment of running longer distances is more fulfilling than being able to run fast at shorter distances. Of course I would like my times to eventually improve, but I'm not worried about it.

Well, runners, I have not checked in this past week because I have taken a break. I did not mean for it to last an entire week, but I have been on vacation (including 2 amusement parts) and about 2 days in the car driving. I have seriously been thinking about my goals while I've been "off." I know that I will not stick with running (or anything) if I do not enjoy it. Lately, I have not been enjoying it. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that it has become so scheduled and technical or what. I enjoy running when I can go out and just see how far I can go---not looking at the time, calculating the pace, or concentrating on speedwork. I just like to run. I love to race as well, but not for time or even performance. I want to do a marathon because I want that accomplishment. I'm not trying to win or qualify for a bigger race. Starting this week, I am switching back to my original training plan---the one I received from the track club I am in. It gives the mileage for long runs as well as a weekly mileage that you can run as you please. I am still going to incorporate walk breaks on my long runs to avoid injury. I am doing everything I can to get back into this. I have missed running this week, but have dreaded going back to "the schedule." Running is my sanity and I need it.

Also, I am doing a triathlon in 4 weeks. I have been practing swimming and biking as cross training with my marathon plan. It is very short---0.25 mile swim, 8 mile bike (flat), and 2 mile run. I have been back and forth about it because I wanted to wait until I had really trained for it better. But if I keep putting it off I will never do it. My goal is to finish, even in last place.

I have another even scheduled for October--a duathlon with a 5k run, 40k bike, and another 5k run. DH and I are also thinking about doing the MS150, since one of the races starts in our hometown. Of course I would only do the "fun ride" but Dh would probably do the whole thing.

Well, I'm back on board runners! Everyone have a good week!

Christena

SW: 193

CW: 193

GW: 130

Guest Newliferva

Hi Runners!

Crista-No I am not having any problems with my hip flexor now but was years and years ago when I did aerabics classes, all those knee lifts and step classes also:( I was thinking about the TFL and looking at the diagram that you included in your post and it just clicked that the hip flexor was somewhere near there.

Christena-I know how you feel when it comes to the schedule! Shake it up, girl!

Have a good weekend all!!

Katie

Question: what is everyone doing about the HEAT????

Last night I did 4 miles at 7:00 pm. It was miserable. I was sick the entire time. Today is supposed to be my 11 miler and I got up at 5 and headed out the door and it was already unbelievably sticky-hot so I didn't go. It is supposed to be close to 100F today with 100% humidity. I think the heat index here is 110F. I guess I will put it off until tonight but I will have to start at 6 pm in order to be finished before it gets dark. I don't have anywhere well-lit to run by myself besides my treadmill. I can't imagine doing 11 miles on the treadmill.

Other than the heat it was a good run. I had to walk several times but I was well-hydrated and my legs felt good.

Christena

Guest 1texasmom

Christena - I get up at 330am to run at 4am. For me even running in the evenings is too hot. With the heat index we were over 100 everyday last week and it seems like they were all level red days, too. Which for asthmatics is just a killer and I can't deal with it. I will say that I've been doing my short runs on the "dread"mill due to the heat.

I didn't have anyone to run with either, until I activally searched. I found the website for the runner's club and posted for a buddy that runs at my pace. I also did this at my gym. I also found that all of the runner's stores have run clubs. I ran a few times at each and made some friends. Now those are the people I run with. We've kind of formed our own group. We are 7 ladies and 2 men. We all run a 8:45 5k and a 10:30 long run. This was important because we didn't want to leave anyone behind or be too slow for others. Having someone to meet at 4am sure makes getting up a lot easier.

Guest CarefreeCas

Not a good week.. and I don't understand why. Any advice is welcome.

I increased my weekly running mileage from a little over 10 miles to 12 miles. Did my weekly speed training as well. I actually did the weight lifting thing twice this week as well (I haven't done that in months).

So overall I increased my exercise. My ww points usage was the same as past weeks in which I lost weight. Today was weigh in, and I actually gained .5 lbs.

I did not eat as many veggies as I had been, and my mom is convinced this is the reason. I know .5 could be water weight, but it is still killin' me. And I cannot blame it on the montly water retention visitor either because that isn't a factor.

Not a happy camper..... :ugh:

Cassie

Increasing exercise (especially adding weight training) can cause your muscles to retain water. If I do a long run at night and try to weigh in the next morning (Sat) I am always up.

Christena

Guest Newliferva

Hi runners!

Christena- the heat is a tough one! It has been over 100 here in Ocean View. I usually run on my treadmill in front of the TV, Golden Girls and the Nanny keep me company:mad: after work or get up early and run my usual route in the neighborhood across the street. Even in the evenings it is hot, hot, hot!!! On Saturday morning it can be especially challenging because my dealership where I bought my car does "free" car washes. You have to get in line and sometimes it takes a while to get to the head of the line. Once my car has been taken, I go through the neighborhood behind the dealership and run. It can be extemely hot by the time I can go. I increased my distance a little this weekend, now running for 35 minutes instead of 30. About 3 miles.

Cassie-I know how frustrating it can be gaining ANY amount of weight, it is just temporary, try to not to be concerned about .5 probably water weight from the weight lifting. Shoot that could be the weight of a cup of coffee or something.:kiss: I have been craving salt lately, I think it is the hot weather, so my weight has been up slightly.

HeyTexas- dreadmill is a good name for it, it can be sooooooo boring!! Our TV is on its last legs so sometimes I'll be running and it dies!! Getting up at 3:30am?? Boy you are good! Isn't it dark then? Having someone to run with is a good idea for safety.

I gotta go pay my taxes now, don't know where my extra checks are!!

Hey go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, saw it last night and Johnny Depp is abolutely brillant!!!:bcbsalute

Katie

Cassie-I know how frustrating it can be gaining ANY amount of weight, it is just temporary, try to not to be concerned about .5 probably water weight from the weight lifting. Shoot that could be the weight of a cup of coffee or something.:kiss: I have been craving salt lately, I think it is the hot weather, so my weight has been up slightly.

I agree. With the warmer weather, your body is probably trying to hold onto the water more. I think the key is to drink more water isn't it? I don't think .5 is anything to be concerned about. If it was 3-5 suddenly then that's a bigger issue.

As for running in the warm weather, my friend and I have been running in trails to get out of the heat. We've got some beautiful trails in our area which are pretty cool regardless of when you run. For me, the heat makes it hard for me to breath. I feel like the air is thicker and more difficult to take in. Anyone else have this problem?

Recommit - Jan 2008

Highest weight - 170

170/142(ww)/137(pg)

Hi TexasMom-I'm a neighbor-in Plano. I run with a group, too, and it makes all the difference. I'm intrigued by the Danskin Triathlon. I'm just starting training for WhiteRock Half Marathon. This will be my 3rd Half.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Thanks for all of the input concerning the heat. Last night I headed out at 7 pm and checked the heat index before I went---it was 98! I was so paranoid about heat exhaustion that I stopped at 2.5 miles. My pace was terrible but I'm just trying to get used to the heat.

Most of my short runs this week will be on the treadmill, unfortunately. At least I'll keep cool!

Have a good running week!

Christena

Guest 1texasmom

Dianne - Plano? Wow! You'll have to come run with us some weekend. What group do you run with? My group has splintered off of the FWRC and Arlington's The Runner.

I'm recovering nicely from the crazy 18 miles I did friday morning. My last 4 miles were a horrible pace of 14mins. Did I tell you that? Yuch! Hey, at least I did it. My toes are looking better after a major pedicure. I did my own though as they were so bad I didn't want anyone to see them. The ACL is a little fatigued. I'll be doing slow easy runs to recover again and taking ibuprofen for inflamation.

Cassie - I bet we're all doing that this time of year. I know I do. Everytime I run in the heat, I rehydrate, I gain - for a short while and then it evens off. Make sure to drink plenty and if you've increased activity, make sure you're eating enough. I struggle with this all of the time. The best advise I can give you is to hang in there. I've got to where I really only pay attention to my WI once a month. I still WI, but I try not to really look at that number. Instead 1x a month I WI and take my mneasurements. It's made a huge difference in my outlook. Last month, I lost 8 pounds. I'f I'd saw that tiny average loss - or roller coaster - every week with all of the running I do, I would have been depressed. But 8#? That sounds pretty good in my book!

I run with Run-On. For marathon training we run on Sunday mornings in Dallas at Mockingbird/Central. September - May they have classes for all levels of runners at all of their locations. Richardson, Coppell, Mockingbird.

That is how I started running almost 3 years ago. I took their beginner class and was hooked.

I'm paranoid about pedicures when I'm training for a race. Through the summer I continue to have them, but I ask them not to make them too smooth. Runners can have really ugly feet, can't we?

Dianne<br />Lifetime!