Health Discovery Network
True Me

Stuffed Cabbage Casserole

Hi! I am polish and grew up on stuffed cabbage. I got this out of my Betty Crocker cookbook. It is easy and my family LOVES it (including my 3-yr-old).

1 pound of 96% ff ground sirloin

1/2 cup instant brown rice

1 can of tomato soup

1/4 cup of water

4 cups of cabbage or cole slaw mix

1 large onion chopped

1 clove of garlic minced

salt and pepper

preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Brown the sirlion. Drain. Mix everything else into the sirloin. Pour into an ungreased casserole dish and cover. Bake for 45-60 minutes.

YUM!

Dawn

215.8/199.5/125

Sounds good to me. My DH's grandpa makes delicious stuffed cabbage, but I'm intimidated by the cabbage breaking if I tried to make stuffed cabbage "cigars" myself. Making it as a casserole is a great idea -- thanks. :)

:salut Karen

Mom to 2 girls (Jun. '03 & May '07)

LT Member -- Lost 55 lb. in 2001

HW (12/2000)....182.2

PP (5/2007).......172

Recommit..........164

Current.............160.5 (-3.5)

Goal.................137

Guest sodacracker

Sounds like an easy dinner dish especially if you have pre-browned ground beef sitting in the freezer. I might try this in the pressure cookerr so it would be just a few minutes of cooking itme. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Karen: I am polish and have grown up on stuffed cabbage but I am also intimidated in making it myself. I love this casserole and think it tastes just as good!

Sodacracker, yes, please let me know how the pressure cooker works. I would love to shorten the cooking time and also eliminate the heat of the oven!

Dawn

215.8/199.5/125

Does anyone know the point value for this per serving? Thanks. I, too, hate the thought of turning on the oven in this heat. Might save this one for the fall.

JeanetteSki

I am so going for this. I do not have to worry about the oven heat, as we live on the Oregon Coast, and if it gets over 74, well, thats a heat wave. The wind off the ocean keeps its cool. God is faithful. I have been baking away through the summer, and am eternally thankful to God for calling me to a place I can support my passion for cooking through the summer!

MrsD

I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174

current weight 161

recommittment loss 3 pounds

Guest HappyBunny

I make a similar recipe, and love it!!! Very easy, filling, and yummy!

Unstuffed Cabbage

1 tsp oil

onion, diced (about 1 cup)

2 cloves minced garlic

1 small cabbage – thinly sliced (about 20 oz) 136 cal, 0.6 F, 13 fiber 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes w/ juice 90 cal, 0 F, 3.5 fiber

8ozl can of Tomato sauce 75 cal, 0 F, 0 fiber

1/2 teaspoon salt

pepper to taste

1 pkg Boca meatless crumbles 120 cal, 0 F, 6 fiber 1 pkg TJ’s frozen cooked brown rice 216 cal, 1.8F, 3.5 fiber

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on med-high. Add scallions and garlic; cook 2 min or until softened. Stir in cabbage & cook 5 min longer or until lightly browned. Mix in tomatoes & juice, salt, pepper & crumbles. Reduce heat to low; cover & simmer 20 min or until coleslaw is tender. Stir in rice.

Whole recipe is 13 points. Divide the batch into the portion you want, and count the points that way. 4 servings = 3.25pts, 3 servings = 4.3pts, 2 servings = 6.5 pts.

Both recipes sound great!

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Guest cowpatty

I made the Stuffed Cabbage Casserole tonight. It was wonderful. Even better yet, my son and nephew (both 17) loved it!!!! There is only one serving left!!!! Kind of sad because I was counting on it later!!!!! But thanks for the great recipe and no I am not Polish!!!!

I hesitate to turn on my oven these days as we have been stuck in an endless heat wave (for here, anyway... :embarrass ) but I think I'll give it a try in the crockpot!! Sounds great!

Gracie :strong:

Queen Sassy Mouth :p

"Don't EVEN make me come up there!" - Sal :buddysmoo

"Bye-bye, Miss American Pie. Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry..." - Don McLean, as sung by the Florida Fabbies 2007

I fixed this last night and had to fight my DH for it!!! The man doesn't eat veggies so it really suprised me that he would inhale so much cabbage. He added Frank's hot sauce to his. I think next time I'll add red pepper flakes to mine. Perhaps some vinegar...take it from Polish to Asian.

DELICIOUS

04/02/07 - 200 pounds

Goal - 140 by 12/31/07

Guest eeyore-mn

I too am Polish. In fact, I was born in Poland! I also would love to have the point value for this so I can give it a try. It's cooling off in my neck of the woods (Minnesota) so I love to have all these warm comfort foods in the oven. If there is anyone who can run the points on this, I would GREATLY appreciate it. THANKS!

Also Polish here....and I make a tray of Halupki at least twice a month. My DH jokes that he married me because of my cheesecake and halupki. I am curious for you polish gals...what is it that intimidates you about making cabbage rolls?

:exercise: Arlene Dallas

STUFFED CABBAGE CASSEROLE (6 servings quessing)

1 pound of 96% ff ground sirloin

1/2 cup instant brown rice

1 can of tomato soup

1/4 cup of water

4 cups of cabbage or cole slaw mix

1 large onion chopped

1 clove of garlic minced

salt and pepper

preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Brown the sirlion. Drain. Mix everything else into the sirloin. Pour into an ungreased casserole dish and cover. Bake for 45-60 minutes.

I ran this thru Mastercook and got 268 cal 14g fat and 2g fiber...

I did this with 6 servings.....

Havent got my Mastercook fixed to e-mail yet.................

"When we go back to the Old way of eating ,

we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown

Dawn

Thanks Dawn1943 for running it through MC!

Arlene, I am just not sure about the actual rolling of the cabbage. I have done it before with my mom's help but have never tried it on my own. I'm sure that if I tried it, it would be okay (I think). :)

Anyways, I happen to like the casserole better because I get a little cabbage with each bite and it is very tender. Better yet, my daughter doesn't "see" the cabbage in the casserole and eats it all up! If the cabbage were all in one big piece, she probably wouldn't eat it.

Dawn

215.8/199.5/125

100% Polish here! I love cabbage rolls. I'm not intimidated to make them - I have the fear of them not tasting like moms! My mom makes them for me everytime I see her. I'm not sure of the points - but I must say 1 is not enough! I will have to try the casserole!

-- Linda --

Start date: 4-5-11

Start weight: 224.6

Current weight: 224.6

Please do Linda and let me know what you think. I'd be happy to hear of any suggestions to make it even better! :D

Dawn

215.8/199.5/125

I made the stuffed cabbage casserole tonight and we LOVED it!!!! I had no ground sirloin on hand, so I used ground chicken instead and it came out great! My husband devoured two huge plates of it and kept saying "I can't believe this is cabbage!!!"

Thanks for the great recipe! Will be a staple in our home!

:jump_jack

JK

I made the Stuffed Cabbage Casserole last night, and OMG it was absolutely delicious!!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Melissa

Started WW...12/18/08...6th time.

AGE 39

HEIGHT 5'3"

WW SW 193.8 (12/18/08)

CW 187.2 (01/02/09)

WW GW 135

:wave: SAYING GOODBYE to the 190s...

My aunt was married to a Polish man. She always made halupki and brought them to the family reunion. I loved those. I'll have to try this casserole. DH probably won't eat it because he doesn't like cooked cabbage but I will be able to take it for lunch!!! Thanks!!!

Starting over: 06/12/07

Goal Wt: 180

How I feel is within my control!!!

weight.png

[/url]

I made a version of this dish tonight and really enjoyed it. Very filling and tasty!

Update: I've been eating the leftovers from this dinner for the past couple of days. I've been adding some FF cottage cheese on the side. (I mix in a bite of cottage cheese with the casserole here and there...) Really tasty and only an additional 1.5 points for 1.2 cup. I've enjoyed this dish more than anything I've made since I began WW 11 weeks ago. Yum.

Unstuffed Cabbage

medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)

2 cloves minced garlic

16 oz bag shredded cabbage

14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes - drained

29 oz can of Tomato sauce

1 teaspoon salt

pepper to taste

1.5 lbs ground turkey (93% fat free)

1 red or green bell pepper, diced

1 cup (uncooked) brown rice

2 Tablepoons Dried Tarragon

Preheat oven to 325.

Prepare rice in advance. (2 cups water to one cup of rice for approx 35 minutes over low simmer…)

Brown turkey on stovetop in large dutch oven.

After draining turkey, add onion, peppers and garlic. Saute for 3 or four minutes.

Stir in cabbage & cook about 5 minutes

Add Rice and Spices.

Mix in tomatoes and sauce.

Move to oven and cook for 30 minutes or so.

I weighed the entire batch and plugged everything into the WW online recipe builder. Here are the results:

2 oz serving - 1 point

4 oz serving - 1.5 point

6 oz serving - 2.5 points

8 oz serving - 3.5 points (8 oz is about a 1 cup serving.)

Started: 9/18/06

SW: 341.6

CW: 263.2

Lost so far: 78.4

GW: 215

Projected Goal Date: July 23, 2007

My Progress

Guest minniepackfan

I used to make stuffed cabbage and roll them... the trickis to boil the head of cabbage, and remove leaf by leaf as they soften... once cooked, take a knife and trim the bump

after a while, I started to make this, without rolling the leaves, but layering the the leaves alternating with the meat/rice mixture... like a lasgna...

but now, the way to combine everything is the best way to do it...

Guest designsbybriana

YUM, this one is a great recipe!! I'll be making this one again!! :bcb_bravo