Health Discovery Network
lacks

I love samosas--do you have a recipe?

Hello,

Does anyone have a good low fat or pared down (perhaps difficult) recipe for somosas?

Most grateful

Bonjour!

I found one in an old WW cookbook. I have never made it but it sounds like it could work.

Spicy Chickpea Samosas

Makes 8 servings POINTS 3.5

These delicious bite-size turnovers are a popular Indian snack. They're usually made with potatoes, but chickpeas add a healthful protein boost. Traditionally, samosas are deep-fried; here baking makes them every bit as delicious without adding calories.

Dough

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

3 tablespoons low-fat (1%) milk

1 egg white

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Filling

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1 teaspoon curry powder

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 onion, finely chopped

One 1" piece gingerroot, peeled and minced

1 garlic clove, minced

One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

1 tablespoon chopped green chiles

1/2 cup thawed frozen peas

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon salt

1. To prepare the dough, in a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; pulse to blend. Add the cheese, milk, egg white and oil; pulse until the dough begins to hold together. Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (The dough may be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 2 days at this point; let stand 1 hour at room temperature and proceed with recipe.)

2. To prepare the filling, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the curry and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas, chiles and 3/4 cup water; cook, stirring gently, until most of the liquid is evaporated, 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash until fairly smooth. Gently stir in the peas, lemon juice and salt, taking care not to mash the peas. Let stand 30 minutes.

3. Preheat the oven to 425° F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle a work surface with a little flour. Place a small bowl of warm water by the work surface.

4. Divide the dough into fourths and roll each between your palms into a ball. Roll each ball into an 8" round and cut each in half. Moisten the straight edge of a dough half with a few drops of water. Fold over the straight edges, forming a cone, and press firmly to seal. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the cone, then moisten the cone's open edges with a little water; firmly pinch the edges together. Repeat to make 8 samosas. Place the samosas on the baking sheet and spray them lightly on both sides with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned.

SERVING PROVIDES: 1 Bread, 1 Protein/Milk, 1 Fat.

PER SERVING: 192 Calories

6 g Total Fat

1 g Saturated Fat

3 mg Cholesterol

286 mg Sodium

26 g Total Carbohydrate

3 g Dietary Fiber

7 g Protein

81 mg Calcium .

Let me know how it turns out.

~~Marie

SW 179 / CW 138 / PG 139 / WWG 145 On Maintenance since Jan 05

Pregnant and Still Loving Core!

Bon courage!:strong:

So funny! I just came onto BCB looking for some good Indian recipes. Thanks!!

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Yum! Suzie, those sound fantastic! Hopefully I'll have a chance to make them next week :D

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

Thanks a million Marie for taking the time to find it for me, you're a sweetie, I will write you with the results.

Lacks

Initially when i started weight watchers...i thought it would be tough trying to stick to my usual Indian cooking....but surprisingly...a lot of Indian food is low points ! Here are some of my favourites !

Lentil Stew (Dal)

1/3 cup letils (green,red or any lentils)

2 Cups water

1 tomato (or / and 1/4 cup spinach)

1 jalapeno or less according to yr spice preference

Add all the above ingreditents to sauce pan and add about 2 cups water and let it cook until the lentils are all mushy and reduce heat and mash with a big spoon, add salt according to taste (maybe 2 tsp), u can add cumin powder about a tsp or curry powder (1 tsp) to add flavor, cook for another 5 minutes and yr dal is ready.

1 pt for whole recipe, but u can eat it atleast for 2-3 times...so effectively less than a point and high in protein ! Can be eaten with a whole wheat pita (2 pts) or a cup of rice or simply eaten as a soup !

Hope u like it.....if interested i can post more !

Guest MOON

wow are there other indian members on WW .......

It's a little late but WW has a book called Take Out TOnight. It has 150 + recipies from different places you may get take out such as a deli, chinese food, greek, mexican, sushi, italian, thai, and indian. The indian recipies include keema samosas, mulligatawny soup, tandoori chicken, seek kebab, shrimp vindaloo, lamb biriyani, saag aloo, chickpea and cauliflower stew, Dal with rice and vegetables,Dal with spiced tomatoes and potatoes, Pulloa, Chapati,Cucumber Raita, Fresh mint chutney, and mango lassi. I haven't tried any of those recipies, only because I'm not familiar with them, but I have tried many of the greek, mexican, chinese, and italian recipes and they have all been wonderful.

Kristen

SW 245/CW 153/GW 150/

Guest Amira

i love samosas too- does anyone have any middle eastern recipes or points for them? :)

Thanks a million Marie for taking the time to find it for me, you're a sweetie, I will write you with the results.

Lacks

Guest ShaeSim
Hope u like it.....if interested i can post more !

Please post more - or are they posted in another thread?

Shae