Health Discovery Network
yoda258

how to calculate points for recipe

I was wondering how you figure out the points for a recipe.

I know what the points are for each item seperately, but how do you figure out the point value for them combined? Different amounts for each item are used in the recipe, so I know doing a percentage won't work.

Thanks!

:dog: Anita/Yoda258

WI Sunday

SW (Aug. 1, 2005) 166 :(

CW 161 :D

GW 127 :strong:

-5 lbs.

The Week One book says on Page 13:

Find the POINTS value for the serving size of a recipe using the POINTSFinder slice and the calorie, fiber and fat information given. No nutrition information? Find the POINTS value for each ingredient, total them, then divide by the number of servings.

So you can either add up all the nutritional info for all the ingredients and divide by the number of servings or add up the points for all the ingredients and divide by the number of servings.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest Tessaroo

When I cook a big meal, I figure out the points for each ingredient I use with my slider, and then add it up into a grand total. Then, I figure out how many portions I can get out of the whole thing, and divide the TOTAL number of points by the number of servings.

So, for example, if you make 4 stuffed peppers and the total points for all of the food is 24 points, I would divide 24 (total points) by 4 (number of servings) to get 6 points per stuffed pepper.

Thanks! I didn't even think of that and it is so logical.

:dog: Anita/Yoda258

WI Sunday

SW (Aug. 1, 2005) 166 :(

CW 161 :D

GW 127 :strong:

-5 lbs.

I prefer to take each ingredient and total the calories, fat and fiber. I do not include 'free' items like vegetables and seasonings. In my opinion you might save a point that way and a point is a point.

Ann

ann p

Get the MasterCook it is great!!!

Keep up the good work!

" Fat your out of here"

Have a great day!!!

۩۝☺♫░ﮝﭲ☻▲▼╫≈₪₪

Kim

5'8

SW: 204--Sep 1, 2004

CW: 175.5

GW: 150

۩۝☺♫░ﮝﭲ☻▲▼╫≈₪₪

Also if you hoin ww online or etools- the recipebuilder does it for you. You plus in number of servings, ingredients and their amt.

Do you have to pay for mastercook?

Arlene

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

ditto the Mastercook!! I would be so lost without it! I can't remember how much I paid for my software. I got the newest version. Overstock.com has it for just under $15 and their shipping only $1 for the next day or two! That's a great deal!!

Deborah