Health Discovery Network
Medb48

Exercise beginner

I tried to check a few weeks in the threads to make sure this question hadn't already been answered. SO...

This is only my 4th day of exercise. I'm using the WW CD for Moderate Intensity. The workout is only for 1/2 hr. I thought today I'd try it twice. Once in the morning and once at night.

I thought I once read that you had to do one day off/one day on with exercises. Is this correct?

I'm sort of on a roll and I am afraid that taking a day "off" at this point might make me lose my momentum.

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

Guest mesaana

Hello

I don't know what the WW cd is exactly but you should not do resistance/muscle training daily. Your muscles need a day to heal. It's ok if you exercise different muscle groups, though. You can also do cardio daily.

However, if you are just starting out, I think you should schedule rest days. A lot of people start exercising, go all out and then stop...

There are a couple of pros on BCB, hopefully they'll answer you.

It is only weight training that you alternate days- all the other stuff you can do every day. So...GO FOR IT!!

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

Thanks, ladies,

The WW tape is mostly cardio. Today I'm doing the beginners in the morning and the moderate workout this evening. I'm even enjoying it. :)

Grainne

weight.png

Guest GingerIsMyPuppy

Med - I used to exercise everyday, doing cardio daily and weight training about 4 times a week. I took days off when I couldn't possibly get to the gym, but I know at the time I was over doing it, so stay moderate.

Beverly

I agree with Beverly. Don't overdo it. Remember, we're trying to build habits we can sustain for a lifetime. Is it realistic to build TWO workouts into your routine for the long haul? Also, you don't want to get bored. There's nothing TECHNICALLY wrong with your routine (as long as it's mostly cardio), but be alert to any signs that it is becoming too much, or too boring.

You'll know you're overtraining if you start feeling tired all the time, or have trouble sleeping, or feel sore most of the week. If that happens, cut back your workouts. If not, and you continue to enjoy twice a day workouts, then by all means, continue! It's just that, in my experience, two workouts a day is not sustainable for most of us. If and when the time comes that you have to drop back to one, that's fine.

At some point, when you have gained strength and endurance, you may find the WW workouts too easy (sometimes this manifests itself as boredom). You'll definitely want to add variety then, and there are many ways to do that, especially with video/DVD programs.

I personally change my workout routine every 4-6 weeks, and do so for my clients, as well.

In the meantime, it sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep up the good work!

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

I used to use the WW tapes... what I did was alternate between the 3 workouts everyday. There is very little weight training in them so it's definitely something you could do everyday. I only did 1 workout a day... 2 always seemed too much for me, but it's your perogative to workout whatever amount you want.

Lele

Lifetime since July '06

SW: 193.4/ WWGW: 132 / CW: 120.2 1/4/10)

Weight loss is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but the results are beyond rewarding.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I'm doing the 2 workouts (morning and evening) to try and build some stamina for a 45 minute workout. At 57 I'm trying to get that metabolism working again. I know I won't have time to do two workouts once school has started but doing it twice a day right now since I have the time has really helped loosen me up. At the moment I only have the one workout tape. I'll do that for the next two weeks and then be back for some suggestions.

Grainne

weight.png

Hey, Grainne,

When you're ready to expand your "repertoire" of videos, don't forget that your local library probably has some workout tapes/DVDs you can borrow,for free. Also, some of us here subscribe to Netflix, which is a convenient way to rent exercise videos, especially if you want to "try before you buy." Another good source is http://www.collagevideo.com

Sounds like you're doing great. I work with many older clients (50 and over) and I am constantly surprised by how fit and strong we can be as we age - IF we keep our bodies moving :-) Many problems we associate with growing older are really more a function of gaining weight and being sedentary for so long. A lot of that is surprisingly reversible.

Happy sweating,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png