Health Discovery Network
Guest StephanieIN

When do you exercise?

Guest StephanieIN

Hi guys,

I'm a relatively new poster and wanted to introduce myself on the exercise board. I am a returning lifetimer and certified personal trainer (not practicing, I just have the certification b/c I love exercise) who got away from fitness and gained some weight while carrying and then caring for magnificent twin sons (now 20 mos). I'm working really hard to get back in the saddle, and I'm doing great. But, I struggle to fit in exercise -- which I love. Prior to kids I went to the gym religiously after work and my schedule was built around it. Now I rush from work to get the kids from daycare and the last thing in the world I want to do (and flat out won't do) is put them in childcare at the gym since they've already been in childcare all day. My greatest success has been working out at lunch, but that's a bit of a pain (change clothes twice, hot sweaty, and it always runs more like 90 mins).

I'm curious to know when all of you work out? Do you do it in the am before work? I've done that before, but I'm not sure I"m up to it again (4:45 wakeup to make the 5:15 Spinning class -- ack!).

Sure would love to hear your thoughts and get to know you!

Stephanie

SW: 193

CW: 179

GW: 167

I HAVE to go in the evening after work. I can't seem to make a habit out of waking up early enough for exercise. I don't have kids though. You may want to take them with you on walks or something, or to the playground and run around with them. It will be fun for all of you!

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

I do mine right before bed everynight and then shower for the next day. I like to sleep in. You would not believe how great I sleep since I started this but with twin babies getting up in the middle of the night (if they still do) that may not be the greatest thing for you.

BRANDY

HW~226

SW~217.5

CW~197.5

GW~ 140

If I didn't have to work :ugh: I would prefer to exercise mid morning an hour or so after I've had breakfast, but that's not feasible, so I work out directly after work and before dinner. That's when I can be most consistent.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I work full time and have a 3 1/2 yr old and an 11 mo old. It is the hardest part of my day to work in exercise. Now I walk 15-20 min for my morning break Mon-Fri at work. I do it with a co-worker which makes it great because it's added incentive to walk. I don't want to have to make up an excuse to her for not walking! And if I can't make the morning walk, she always tells me that she will meet me in the afternoon instead. Great friend, huh?!

At home, DH knows I really want to use our new treadmill. He has been great about letting me do that. He watches the baby, gudgingly some nights when he wants to watch a show, but he does it. My older daughter comes with me. The treadmill is in the corner of our porch. I have it blocked off so my DD knows not to come closer to it that that line. It's great time with her actually, because with the music on she dances while I walk. Then afterwards, she loves to do the stretches with me. ("Am I dong it right Mommy?" She's so cute!)

I started telling her how nice it was that she is my new excercise buddy. She beems with pride when I say that! I get my workout and get to spend some good time with just her. Plus what a role model I'm being for her! Something I've always hoped I could be for my girls.

Joanie aka Jo Skinnie

It's all in the attitude, baby!

:work_out:

Joanie - I love your story! I began exercising in earnest again when my daughter switched to one nap a day, and I could bring MY oldest (at the time, 3 1/2) down to the basement play room with me for my cardio workout. I would get on my ancient NordicTrac ski machine while he played with the model train layout or the other toys down there.

I still tend to work out while my daughter naps, but then I have that option, since I'm a stay-at-home Mom. When I worked full-time (before children), I usually went to a gym near my office in the city for a step class. Total time amounted to an hour, usually (10 min walk to gym and change, 30 minute class, 10 min walk back).

My daughter, however, is showing signs of giving up her nap, so I may have to resort to an early-morning timeslot to get my workout in (like, 5-6am, since the kids are up by 6:30, usually - ugh).

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

6:30! WOW. I must be one in a million. My almost 5 yr old daughter never gets up before 9:30 and most of the time sleeps til about 10:00am. SHe even goes to bed about 10pm.

I usually get to workout while my daughter watches cartoons in the morning, she never gives me any trouble. The phone gives me more trouble than she does.

Kerri :p

SW- 250

CW- 250

GW- 160

*~*~*~*~*~*

I'm a teacher, so in the summer I walk/jog the neighborhood (2.5 miles) in the morning. I eat 1/2 pts of dry cereal and a small diet coke right when I wake up, then I change and go. In the desert it can be close to 100 degrees already.

During the school year, I get home at 2:00-ish, and I change immediately and go out. If I sit down even once, I'm down for the count. Those 13 year olds take it all out of me! Then I come in and watch Dr. Phil and do my sit ups and push ups.

5'2" SW-144.0 CW-136 GW-129.0

My personal preferance is to exercise first thing in the morning. However, I start work at 6:30a.m. and am not getting up any earlier than I already do, so work days, (I don't count my cycle commute to work as exercise). I workout after work.....usually between 4 and 5p.m. I don't like to do it any later than that or I am bouncing off the walls all night. On weekends and days off, I am usually out running by 7a.m.

I guess the best time to exercise though is the time that you will be able to fit it in and stick to it.

Ann

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Guest blbforus

I am a stay at home mom so I have all day to exercise. However, I tend to do a mile on the treadmill in the mornings anytime between 6 and 7, I do another mile before lunch, and one more mile around 7 or 8 every night. It wakes me up in the mornings, and helps me sleep at night. It just gets me out of breath for a few minutes at lunch. I am hoping to add some resistance and strength training along with some WATP exercise this week. Hope you find something that works for you.:work_out:

I exercise 2x a day - in the mornings, I take D:dog: for a walk at 5:45 or so for about 30 minutes, then I hop on either my recumbant bike or my Gazelle that's in my home gym for about 15 minutes. Of course, this walk is more for the doggie than myself! My main workout is when I get home - I give myself 30 minutes to check email & snail mail, then I'll do a FIRM workout or other workout I have planned.

I've heard many experts say that it's best to work out in the morning. Then there are those who say it's best to work out at night. But something I read in a magazine hit the nail on the head. It said the best time to work out is the time you schedule it, no matter what time of the day!

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

I've been doing 1/2 hour in the morning and 1/2 in the evening to help build up stamina for a 45min to 1hour.

I teach so I have more freedom in the summer. Once school starts, I'm up at 5 already so I am NOT getting up earlier. I don't get home until 6 so I'm planning on exercising around 8 after dinner is done. :bcbsalute

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

when I did water exercise and also when i did Body For Life at a gym I went for their 6:15 am opening. of course my dh was great with the kids- would eventually wake them up, get them ready for school and even usually have a big ww breakfast ready for me- I would eat and then drop the kids off at school. great DH!! Now I usually walk the dog at 6 a, or 6:30 for an hour- and nowthat we have a second puppy sometimes the dh starts out with me. Again I get back before the dd's go to school. When I was not working this year I would drop them off at school and then go to the gym. Now I work from home so in addition to walking the dogs morning and evening I do weights or abs usually in the morning. Always works for me to have the exercise out of the way- the I feel great with the whole day ahead of me. My dd's were not twins but they were 11 months apart.

Good Luck.

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

Stephanie,

Belated congratulations on the birth of your sons.

I have an absolutely crazy work schedule so I'm at the gym at any and all times. I've been at the gym at 6am to as late at night as 8pm. I work out primarily with my DH and we just get there when we can, but on no time schedule whatsoever.

My favorite work out time is first thing in the morning. I'm a high engery morning person, where DH is early evening. When I get to the gym first thing, I have an amazing amount energy throughout the day. I also love knowing the rest of the day I can do whatever I want and be ready for what might come up that could interefere with MY gym time.

Hope you're able to find a schedule that will work out well for you and your family.

~Tammy

SW - 140

CW - 132.8

this weeks WI -1.6

GW - 123

Pain is temporary, but quitting is forever -- Lance Armstrong

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.

I have to say I love all the lazy...um...people who love to sleep as long as possible...on this board. I feel right at home. :bcb_bigsm

I, too, would LOVE to say that I could commit to an am workout. I have a friend who goes at 5:00 am. I did it ONCE. :bcb_yuck: And, while I can say that IF you can get past that initial 5 minutes of getting up, getting dressed and braving the cold at FOUR FORTY FIVE in the morning, it would be REALLY great to be DONE for the day and be able to spend your afternoons running errands or just relaxing after work. BUT, and that is a big BUTT (pardon the pun), I am NEVER going to be able to do that on a regular basis. :bcb_grrrr

So, to finally answer your question, I do an afternoon workout 4 days a week and then a Saturday morning (at 8:45...much more reasonable).

Good luck.

mollypb :bcb_bigsm

HW - 174.4

CW - 167.2

GW - 145

My workday is long and exhausting - every time I have tried to work out after work I completely lack the motivation to do it. It just doesn't work for me.

So for about a year and a half I've been dragging my butt out of bed at 6am to work out 1st thing in the morning. It's the only time that's mine before the day gets ahead of me. I was NEVER a morning person, but it's the only thing that's really worked for me (and now it's so routine I don't think about it!!)

SW: 240 lbs (Oct. 2003)

PG#1: 200 lbs (reached June 2004!)

PG #2: 170 lbs (reached Dec. 2004!)

PG #3: 150 lbs (reached May 2005 - GOAL REACHED!)

CW: Ah, the constant dance between 150 and 155...

Late afternoon - if I had to get in the habit of exercising mornings, it would never happen. :bcb_yuck:

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

As a fellow twin mommy (5 yo dds), I know how difficult your life is right now! My hat's off to you!! I used to exercise in the early morning (around 4:30) but lately I just can't get up so now I do it after the children are in bed.

Good luck!!:)

Deborah