Health Discovery Network
Guest StephanieIN

Question about vacuum sealer

Guest StephanieIN

(I posted this on the daily as well)

Hi guys,

I'm going to try to do some more make-ahead cooking for the freezer and I wondered if any of you have one of those vacuum sealers. If so, do you like it? Is it worth it? I just don't want my lovingly prepared meals to get freezer burnt and I wonder if this would help.

How expensive are the supplies to replace (bags, etc) and can you find them easily?

Thanks for any insights,

Stephanie

PS: I love that Oprah says she uses one to bag up big pots of soup that she makes herself. She says Stedman teases her that America would never believe she cooks and uses a vacuum sealer. :D

I love my vacuum sealer. I wish I had gotten the one with the attachment to vacuum seal jars. I can get the bags easily at Sams and Walmart. I don't think they are really expensive, but I can't remember exactly how much they were cause I bought my last box at Sam's quite a while ago.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I got my food saver last year and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My mom got it from WalMart. I either get my refills from WalMart or Costco's. I used to throw out so much food b/c me and my DH didn't really eat leftovers. So what ever is left over, i food save it. That way when we're getting home late from a softball game or shopping, instead of going fast food we pick what we want from the freezer. Cheaper, healthier, and might I say more tasty. Plus you can pre cook your foods and seal by points. Like I said, I love it

SW:262.6 HW:263 CW:213.8 Total weight lossed so far 48.8

I love mine as well. And it REALLY DOES preserve the foods better than regular freezer bags. Easy to use as well! I get my refil bags from SAM'S or Wal-Mart, but unless your bags are messy or contained meat, poultry or fish, you can wash and re-use them over and over.

(Momma25) Momma to five

http://www.realfoodliving.com

In remission from Acute Leukemia

Diabetic, low GI and no FRANKENFOODS!

218/in-between/125

I love my vacuum sealer! Food really does stay fresher. The jar sealer feature is nice, if you can afford it. I have no problem finding bag, and do re-use mine when I can.

Stephanie

Life is hard; food is easy. I'm learning a better way.

SW: 188 / BMI 34.5

CW: 180.4 / BMI 33

GW: 135 / BMI 24.7

I am on my third. I use mine so much that I keep upgrading the features on mine. I have also given one to my mom and both of my sisters. This model is nice becuase its stainless and goes with my stainless appliances. It also folds up if you dont have a lot of counter space, has the "soft seal" feature so you can do breads, etc, the canister attachment and the jar attachment-I use this alot when I make my own salsas and soups. We use the seal attachment to reclose just about everything from cereal to chips, crackers, etc. I cant say enough about this product. Like everyone else, I buy my bags in WalMart.

[/url]

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FisItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&CLASSLEVEL=&txtDesc=k5493&SearchClass=

I buy my meats in bulk (whatever is on sale) and and vacuum seal in one pound packages. I also precook hamburger with taco seasoning or onion and seal so I just need to take out of the freezer to make a quick meal. I buy whole chickens when they are on sale, rotisserie them in my oven and then shred the meat and package. Poached chicken breasts shredded are also great for vacuum sealing.

:exercise: Arlene Dallas

Love it! I find it less expensive than buying all those zip locks, and you do it in the size you need. I use it to reseal frozen veg quite a bit. When I just need a little broccoli, I take out what I need and seal the bag. They stay much fresher. I find the bags at Kmart, Walmart, Meijer, just about anywhere. I find that the roll lasts a long time.

Karen

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why can!

I have been thinking about getting one, my question is.... a few of you said you reseal things. Can you reseal stuff in the bags they come in. Such as cereal in the cereal bag, veggies in the veggie bag? Or can you just reseal their bags? I almost bought one but I wasn't sure if this could be done.

Becky

"Every moment is an opportunity to succeed."

I use mine to reseal all of the bags that things originally come in, especially chips, cereal, crackers and frozen veggies. You wont ever regret having one. I LOVE MINE and a day doesnt go by that I dont use it.

:exercise: Arlene Dallas

Arlene thanks for answering that for me. Now I am going to get one for sure!

Thanks

Becky

"Every moment is an opportunity to succeed."