Health Discovery Network
ellen1954

Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup

Wow--this is yummy and filling and only 0.5 POINT per cup! :crazy:

I got it from a site called WW Recipes & Tips (http://groups.msn.com/WeightWatchersRecipesTips/menuplanners.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=162&LastModified=4675405158052773249)

Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Bisque

8 cups ½ POINT/cup

1 butternut squash (approx. 2lb or 3 cups cooked)

1 head of garlic

1/2c each chopped onions, celery and carrot

1 t ground/dried sage

4 c. fat-free veg. or chicken broth

1 c. skim or 1% milk

salt + pepper to taste

Cut squash in half and remove seeds and pulp. Wash and cut garlic in half crosswise (so that you are slicing all cloves in half with one cut) Place 1/2 garlic in hollow of each squash half, and place face down in 9x13 pan. Add 1/2c water, cover with foil. Roast 45 min. in 425F oven or until squash is soft when pricked.

Coat a large soup pot with non-stick spray. Sautee the other veggies until onions are soft. Add broth and sage and simmer until all veggies are soft. Scoop out squash and add to broth mixture. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins (should pop out easily). Mash with a fork, then add to the soup. Puree in batches until very smooth. When ready to serve, reheat on med-low and add milk. Add more broth if it is too thick. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Ellen

SW: 205.4/CW:200.4/GW: 140

Wow, I think I can really taste this one just reading the recipe! I've never made squash soup, but I think I'll try this one. Thanks for the idea!!!

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

This soup is amazing, I loved it. The DH didn't though, oh well more for me!;)

The sage taste made it remind me of stuffing which I love.

I recomend this soup if you like sage, it doesnt even taste like sqaush.

This makes for a great low point lunch when you want to have a yummy dinner.

Thanks for posting it. This is probably the best soup I have ever had.

1st goal: 120lbs

Goal weight: 105lbs

"WHAT YOU DO TODAY, WILL MAKE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TOMMOROW. CUZ WHAT YOU DID YESTURDAY, MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TODAY!" --unknown:workout:

Guest hesavedme

This sounds yummy...i plan to make this very soon.

Guest queenmum

just made this for lunch and it is VERY good. a couple of minor changes i made was roasting all the veggies, instead of cooking the onion, carrot and celery seperate. i also added a reg. potato. added to the creaminess. and the sage is important. really gives it good flavor as does roasting the veggies. alll in all a very good soup and one i will make again. thank you for sharing this with us here!

p.s. my squash was much smaller than the one in the recipe. about 1 lb. but it seemed to work just fine.

i'm trying this recipe out tonight.. i'll letcha all know how it went:bcb_salut

UPDATE: okay.. so it's a fairly plain soup.. but i cheated multiple times during the recipe. I didnt' roast.. because I made it at 8pm.. and was almost ready to hit the hay.. didn't want the crank the oven again.. i steamed the squash in the microwave with a bit of water.

I used storebought roasted garlic, omitted the celery (cos i didn't have any), left out the sage (didn't have any either) and only made about half the batch. Yup.. it's good enough to make again. I didn't take exact measurements.. and sauteed my onions in a bit of evoo.. so i'll count 1pt/ cup. I got 7 cups of soup out of the recipe!

Jackie ~SW: 160/CW:155/GW: 130