Health Discovery Network
Guest frosti87

I need food ideas!

Guest frosti87

So...at school I find myself skipping lunch do to the fact that I don't want to buy greasy fast food, and I don't want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I need some creative ideas for brown bag lunches. Also, after school is when I lose all of my points, due to the fatty foods I am surrounded by at my friend's house. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

I find putting salad dressing in a bowl and then veg. on top a salad stays nice, stir when you are ready to eat.

Cup of soup in low in points and filling.

The nabisco 100 calorie packs they sell have 2 points.

Pretzels and a wedge of laughing cow cheese and a piece of fruit.

Just a few.

I sometimes get wendys cup of chili and their small fruit cup for 6 points total

Karen

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why can!

Do they not offer healthy lunch options at your school? :confused:

Maybe you could buy a bag of FF pretzels or something for your friend's house.

Either take them with you or ask if you can leave them there.

Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

For school lunch, the possiblilites are endless! A little pre-planning is what it takes. First thing that comes to mind is a turkey breast sandwich on whole grain bread with a slice of 2% American Cheese. Delish and so good for you. Get some of those tiny carrots and put a handful of them in a ziplock bag for something crunchy.

For afterschool, how about slipping a bag of 94% FF popcorn in your backpack with a diet soda? Pop it when you get to your friends house and ask for a glass of ice. There ya go!

Apples travel well, as do oranges. Good luck, with a little planning you can do this!

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

well: plan. Buy 1 pt tortillas- buy low fat lunch meats or veggies meat substitutes- you can keep that in the tortilla and keep lettuce tomato separate to keep in a baggie and put it in just before you are going to eat it. bags of carrots, cuke slices, red and green pepper slices, celery, broccoli, cauliflower can be for lunch or after school- a baggie of mini crackers that are low pts for either as well- bottled water or a bottle to fill with water- fruit. Make a bean salad in a container. put a salad in a container and put dreessing in a small container to put on afterward. Other toppings for you tortilla wrap or bread that is 2 slices for a pt are: tuna, salmon, hummous, ff cream cheese, ff cheese slices, low fat pb and low cal jam, ff cream cheese and low cal jam, etc etc. there are many choices you just have to think about it- shop for it- ie plan it and prepare it. Good Luck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

I'm a teacher so I know what you mean by school lunches. I take my lunch to school everyday. I noticed in your profile you're 18 so you probably don't have access to a fridge like I do. However, you can put a re-freezable pak in your lunch bag and it will keep your food cold until lunchtime. I plan all my meals, including lunch, the night before. Sometimes, I even pack parts of my lunch the day before. Without a little preplanning you can have a variety of things to eat throughout the week. Below is one week's lunch menu for me (I'm currently at 22 target points and I do use most of my weekly allowance points) I usually have my fruit as a mid-morning snack- if I'm not able to do that I add it to my lunch.

Monday

tuna fish sandwich made with 3 oz tuna, FF mayo, pickle on 2 slices lt 12 grain bread (3) *I don't like soggy sandwiches so I put the tuna fish/mayo in a little container and make the sandwich right before I eat

carrots/snap peas (0)

FF/SF yogurt (2)

water

Tuesday

2 slices FF ham, 2 slices FF turkey, 2 slices FF cheese rollups (4)

carrots/snap peas/broccoli (0)

FF ranch (1)

FF/SF yogurt (2)

water

Wednesday

Turkey Subway no cheese loaded with vegies *I always buy a foot long Tuesday after weigh-in and have the 2nd half of it for my Wed lunch

2 tsp olive oil on my sandwich (2)

1 oz FF potato chips (1) or 1 oz baked lays (2)

FF/SF yogurt (2)

water

Thursday

Ham & Cheese Melt made with 3 slices FF ham, 1 slice FF cheese, FF mayo/mustard, 1 lt whole wheat hamburger bun (4) *if I didn't have access to a microwave I would just eat it cold

3 bean salad made with canola oil and spenda (1) *I count 1 tsp of oil everything else is 0 pts

FF/SF yogurt (2)

water

Friday

salad with extra vegies added (0)

3 oz tuna (2)*I buy the individual foil packets-makes it easier to pack and there is no water to squeeze out

FF Ranch (1)

6 FF saltines (1)

FF/SF yogurt (2)

water

For the afterschool snacks, I would probably take 94% fat free microwave popcorn because it takes a while to eat. Or I'd take a big bag of baby carrots and FF dip or Kashi Go Lean Chocolate Caramel Karma Bars *big, filling and only 2 points.

Good luck in your journey- its hard enough when you're an adult to do this but when you're a teenager I think its even tougher.

Deb