Health Discovery Network
Medb48

BMI issue - help

I checked the BMI chart and for my weight and height and my BMI should be 24. My scale shows 31 instead.

I asked my doctor about this and his only response was that I have a small, light frame. He said that he wouldn't necessarily call me "obese" but I could afford to lose a little more and tone up. I know I still have another 7 to go to be at the top of my weight chart but here's the question to you "exercise" ladies. My concern is that both of my parents had coronary problems and while I don't want to obssess over this, I do want to get healthy.

Would I do better to use weight training or aerobics to work on this toning? I'm 57 and don't do regular exercise. I teach Early Childhood so I'm running around all day and to be honest I'm exhausted at night. I need a suggestion that I could actually stick with.

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

Guest trainerforinfo

This is what i would suggest. I understand you run around all day with the kids and that is great. But your body has gotten used to that workout and it needs a little kick to start burning the calories again. I would say start off with a 15 min walk everynight. If you feel you would like to do weight training we can do basic exercises 2-3 sets of 15 with a very light weight. because we all know the more muscle we have the more calories we burn. and if we can build a little that will belp burn alot.

Thanks for the info. What sort of sets are we talking? I have 5 & 10 lb weights.

Grainne

weight.png

Guest trainerforinfo

i would start out with the five pound weights with basic tricep extensions. bicep curls, side raises and such. and to start just do 2 sets of 15 for a week or so and see how your body recats. we do not want to much pain or you wont want to do it ever again right.

Would I do better to use weight training or aerobics to work on this toning? I'm 57 and don't do regular exercise. I teach Early Childhood so I'm running around all day and to be honest I'm exhausted at night. I need a suggestion that I could actually stick with.

Hi there,

While I am sure you get a general "workout" just chasing after the kids, I agree with Brandon (TrainerInfo) that you should do some weight training. Not only will it help with toning (and, by this, I mean "strengthening") your muscles, but weight training is VERY important as we get older, for all sorts of reasons. It helps us women, in particular, preserve our bone mass (especially through menopause and beyond). It helps maintain, and even improve, flexibility throughout the range of motion for all our joints, and it simply helps us stay "functional." On top of that, of course, muscle mass burns more calories at rest, so that helps with weight control.

I know the feeling of being exhausted at the end of the day, as I myself have a 3 and 6-year-old that keep me running all day. So, for consistency, you should examine your week and PLAN at least two, 30-minute "appointments," on non-consecutive days, with yourself for weight-training. If weekdays are tough,plan one for a weekend day.

Next, decide HOW you prefer to exercise. Can you do it at home with free weights (e.g. dumbbells)? Or would a video be better so you have someone's visual example to follow? Would a gym be better, either on your own/with a class or with weight-stack machines? Some people need the accountability of a class, while others are great at keeping "appointments" by themselves. Some people know how to use free weights with good form. Others prefer the guidance and safety of weight machines.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are LOTS of different ways to do weight training, not just with dumbbells onyour own. Once you decide WHEN and HOW you will do your weight work, you just have to STICK WITH IT. If you're consistent, you'll see a marked gain in strength in just a few weeks. Visible muscle definition may take several more months, as well as continued fat loss.

All this will definitely improve your muscle and bone health. But, to really lose any additional fat, you'll need to do higher intensity aerobic exercise. Chasing after kids is a good start, but you should also try to do some other exercise, at least a few times a week, that elevates your heart rate for around 20-30 minutes. Walking is a good start, as Brandon suggests. When the weather gets bad, maybe you can find someplace indoors to walk. The shopping mall near me, for example, opens early in the morning just for "mall-walking," before the stores officially open.

Also, there are lots of exercise videos you can try, either through your library, or Netflix, or that you can preview and buy at http://www.collagevideo.com.

For optimal health, and to maintain a healthy weight, you'll need BOTH aerobic exercise (3-5 times a week, 20-30 minutes) AND weight training (twice a week, if you can, once a week, minimum).

I hope this helps.

-Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

PS Grainne:

I work with MOSTLY older clients (40s, 50s, 60s), and I wanted to emphasize that, whatever your age, you can ALWAYS get stronger. (Don't let anyone tell you different!)

-Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Brandon and Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your advise. Is there a good website to go to that might show images of what "basic tricep extensions. bicep curls, side raises and such actually are"? I'm a bit of a novice in this area.

Grainne

weight.png

Guest bensmomshelly

Just FYI......based on the info in your sig line (ht 4'11", weight 122), your current BMI is 24.6. That is within the normal weight range. Getting to your goal weight (115#) would just bring it down to 23.2. Not that you shouldn't lose a few more pounds (I have no idea, since I don't know you), but I'm guessing it's nothing to stress about. Your original post made it seem like you thought your BMI was 31.