Health Discovery Network
dardee

shepherd's pie and egyptian rice

hi everyone

i saw mentioned that people were trying a recipe for egyptian rice and also shepherd's pie that were core? does anyone have these recipes? i will be grocery shopping tomorrow night and would love to get the ingredients to try these two recipes next week for dinner. i wish weight watchers would come out with a CORE RECIPE BOOK. i love trying new things. everyone here has been great about sharing their favorite recipes. i am spoiled now and come here all the time looking for more. thank you.....

dardee

on core and loving it:headover:

11/06/2006 159

ww goal-145lb

lbs lost so far 24

i can do this!

i will do this!

Core Recipe

Servings | 8

Preparation Time | 25 min

Cooking Time | 50 min

Level of Difficulty | Moderate

main meals | Creamy mashed potatoes, seasoned ground turkey and vegetables smothered with cheese: Homemade comfort food at its finest!

Ingredients

1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)

8 medium uncooked red potato(es), peeled and quartered

5 tsp olive oil, divided

1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk

3/4 cup Kraft Free Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, or other brand, divided

1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste

1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

1/2 cup onion(s), chopped

12 oz uncooked ground turkey breast

2 cup zucchini, or yellow summer squash, sliced

14 1/2 oz canned tomatoes, chunky pasta-style, undrained

6 oz canned tomato paste

1/4 tsp black pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8 1/2 X 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover potatoes. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and place back in pot. Add 2 teaspoons of oil, milk, 1/4 cup of cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Mash until fluffy; set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining tablespoon of oil and heat until sizzling. Add onion and turkey, and cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes; drain off any fat. Stir in squash, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper; bring to a boil.
  4. Spoon turkey mixture into baking dish. Spread potato mixture over top of turkey mixture, covering it completely. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake until potato mixture is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Egyptian Rice

1 lb Core-acceptable ground beef

1 small onion, chopped

2 cans beef broth

2-3 Tbs soy sauce

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 jar sliced mushrooms, drained

1 cup raw brown rice

salt and pepper to taste

FF Plain yogurt or sour cream

Brown hamburger & onion. Add remaining ingredients to the mixture. Cover and simmer until rice is done. After plating time, serve with a dollop or yogurt or sour cream. This is a very simple recipe

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Guest bearland53

The Shepherd's Pie was listed on the WW website last week - it was really good - a little on the bland side - I would add more spice (garlic and/or rosemary) - also I would only use 6 potatoes. It was really good. I might also consider using soy cheese as it melts much better.

This was my first time using chopped turkey - even my family liked it.

thank you! doing core is so easy with all of these wonderful recipes! i don't think i have ever spent so much time in the kitchen cooking. don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining. it is like having a new hobby! plus, this new hobby is making me and my dh healthier. core is not a diet......it is wonderful new way of life!

dardee

on core and loving it:headover:

11/06/2006 159

ww goal-145lb

lbs lost so far 24

i can do this!

i will do this!

I made the Egyptian Rice yesterday and GOSH it was good! (Used ground turkey breast and lotsa' fresh mushrooms). DH was "wild" about it. Me, too!

Anxious to try the Shepherd's Pie (need more ground turkey breast :rolleyes: ). Thanks for the feedback on the recipe. It always helps~ :bcbsalute :buddysmoo

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile