Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Great CORE-N Bread

I just made these and they are absolutely FABULOUS. They are just as good as any corn bread recipe I've ever had.

Blueberries sounds AWESOME, what a great idea!

The only thing I did differently was cooked it just a bit longer than called for and added a little extra splenda since I like my cornbread sweet.

I wanted to make muffins but couldnt find my muffin cups so I just used a regular pan.

I'm amazed how good these are!

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Guest dannyboy272

i just made this as well. i diced up two cloves of garlic and a can of hot diced chiles as well.

this is way better than the jiffy corn bread mix i used to make.

Back to the top. Have it in the oven now.:bcb_bigsm

Phyllis

Highest Wgt 255.5 July 7, 2006 :bcb_mad2

Restart Wgt 231.5 Sept. 29 2008:bcb_blush

Current Wgt 231.5 :bcb_blush

Goal wgt 140:bcb_up

I think I'm spoiled on Grandma's cornbread, dense but buttery and salty, because this was a too sweet and tart for me. It was good crumbled into chili, but by itself didn't work as cornbread to me. I did it in a cast iron skillet, started on the stove in a teaspoon of olive oil for a nice crust (just like Grandma does, but she uses bacon drippings) and the crust was fantastic. I'd make this again to go with chili, but not to eat on its own.

Locavore on Core, eating local, organic farm-fresh foods, avoiding "Frankenfoods," and blogging all about it!

BUMP!!! :D

I add corn to the recipe, as well, and use it for a base for chicken taco bake!

(ff ref beans; onions, taco sauce, chicken breast chunks, soy cheese!) Served with salad...I usually eat it every day until it is gone!!

High Preg Weight- 223

Start August '08- 208.2

Current- 199.0

Sept Goal- 194.0

Oct '09 Goal- 160

I think I'm spoiled on Grandma's cornbread, dense but buttery and salty, because this was a too sweet and tart for me. It was good crumbled into chili, but by itself didn't work as cornbread to me. I did it in a cast iron skillet, started on the stove in a teaspoon of olive oil for a nice crust (just like Grandma does, but she uses bacon drippings) and the crust was fantastic. I'd make this again to go with chili, but not to eat on its own.

Remember! Tastebuds change... :bcb_smile If the yogurt is too tangy, try the sour cream.

And the applesauce might be the sweet you taste. You could use something unsweet like pumpkin instead.

But like most CORE "baked goods", you're going to get something that is dense, substantial, and something you will most likely not overeat. :bcb_smile Or, at least, that's the hope. :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I make a different CORE-N Bread. I'm not a fan of Cream of Wheat and I didn't like the applesauce taste, plus I'm not an artificial sweetener person... I make the recipe below, taken from a time when I was on a board that was working on sugar addiction. The recipe is from The 20-Minute Natural Foods Cookbook by Sharon Claessens.

Cheddar Corn Bread

Preheat overn to 375

2 cups corn meal

1 cup shredded cheddar (I use soy or lowfat (points))

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

2 Tbsps canola oil

2 eggs

1 tsp baking soda

Mix cornmeal and cheese in a large bowl. Place an 8 X 8 inch Pammed glass baking dish or cast iron pan in the oven to heat up.

In separate bowl mix buttermilk, oil, eggs, and baking soda.

Mix wet and dry ingredients together until smooth. Take the preheated baking pan out of the oven and pou in the corn bread batter.

Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

I think you can add a couple of spoons of chopped green chilis to make this have a more Mexican flavor, and/or you could add corn kernels. I really like this bread but it is different, not at all sweet, obviously.

I have another recipe from the same site which I also like but it has 1/2 cup of ww flour in it so is not Core. Few points though. I can post it if anyone would like to see it.

andi

I just made the recipe again that I posted earlier and it tastes awful with soy cheese, in my opinion. So if you're going to try it, use reduced fat or the real thing and count points... I threw the whole batch away. Sigh.

HUGE HUGE HUGE hit tonight at the dinner table. I made core chili with ground turkey and a bunch of peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes.

It was so moist and yummy. Definitely going to make it again. Thanks Carol for the great recipe!!!!!!!!!

It was awesome!!

Guest designsbybriana

I made this and it was really great. My husband, who usually doesn't like corn bread, enjoyed it - as did my 3 year old. Thanks for the great recipe!

i like this recipe for a treat, its good but when i want an old fashion cornbread i make this one;

i c cornmeal

i take a one c and add add about 2-/3 yogurt -1/3 sour cream

1 egg

1 t baking powder

1/2 t soda

spray a small pie plate with baking spray and bake for about 20 to 25 min. untill goden brown. i then slice it into 6 pieces and have one with my meal and refridg. the rest. after that when i want a piece i pop one in the toaster oven for 15 minutes. it gets nice and cruncy. i usally make one batch a week. marie

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]:bcb_march Marie

I have just switched to Core and decided to try as much as possible for Thanksgiving. I love my cornbread stuffing and have made the Great CORE-N bread to which I'll add chopped apples, onions, celery and thyme. Took a little taste and think it will work fine. I'll be taking the recipe to WW meeting this week to share.

marge

there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206

CW: 162.5

40# 2/5

HW: 146

weight.png

I want to try this recipe but i have an apple allergy and I want to use creamed corn instead... but creamed corn is not core.

Someone (i forget who please forgive me!) mentioned making homemade cream corn with corn, skim milk, and ff sour cream in the blender... i'm a complete idiot when it comes to making stuff like this out of the blue... What would be the portions of each ingredient for this core homemade creamed corn?

Thanks so much, i'm looking forward to trying this out!

Celesta

I made this last night, doubled the recipe, cooked it for 45 mins in a 9X12 pan and it came out great.

Has anyone tried putting blueberries or cranberries in it?

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Can any one tell me what grind of cornmeal you used for this recipe? I have coarse and fine and don't know which to use......:bcb_confu

thanks!

JK

You can use either, but I would use coarse. :)

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

I made it at Thanksgiving for cornbread stuffing. Although I liked it as a piece of cornbread, I did not like texture it achieved in the stuffing.

marge

there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206

CW: 162.5

40# 2/5

HW: 146

weight.png

I made this last night with chili. I thought it was "okay", not great but definitely not bad (best corn bread I've made when doing CORE)! This morning though, it was much better. Even my DH grabbed a piece and said "this is much different than it was last night"! I toasted it with a slice of canadian bacon and some scrambled egg. Yummy!

JK

I finally tried this tonight! :bcb_up Yummy! This will definately be made again.

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

I am new to Core. At Christmas my aunt made something called Mexican Corn Bread. I asked for the recipe. I am a southern girl and have never liked corn bread. But I would rather have her Mexican corn bread as cake. Anyway I tried this recipe and said this is amazing. So I made it again and added the diced red and green sweet peppers, onions and jalapenos, with a little ff cheddar cheese in the middle. Honestly this was every bit as good as hers. Hers was not diet friendly but it had the cheese and peppers and onions which was what I liked about it. This recipe has great texture, great flavor. I really would rather have it as cake. And it is diet friendly. Thank you!!!