Health Discovery Network
Guest CarefreeCas

Runner's Thread ** 10/24/2005 **

Guest CarefreeCas

Happy Monday!

Alright, so I'm *really* sleepy this morning. It is starting to get

cold out there. I had great plans to keep running outside no matter

how cold it got. After this morning, I'm thinking about buying a

treadmill. It was in the 30s, and I know it will get much colder!

Any suggestions/recommendations on treadmills?

I figure the long runs will still be outside (and on the weekends

during sun shining hours). The 3 milers or so I can do on a

treadmill without getting too bored.

The best laid plans of mice and men.. yada yada yada....

How is everyone today?

cassie

Guest Tianzi

Hi Cassie...

This is my first winter as a runner...It is so cold to me, not freezing, but it hurts your lungs. i may do alot of treadmill running. My problem is...I just got the treadmill about 5 weeks ago..it is very narrow and I'm afraid to run without thinking I'm gonna step off balance and bust it!!!! I don't like holding onto the bar either. I get about 1.5 and get really bored. I'm gonna stick with it though.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!:kiss:

Make an investment in GOOD insulated clothing. Last year I bought insulate pants and my members gave me a gift certificate that I used to buy an longer sleeve (it covers my knuckles with a thumb hole). I ran with this all winter last year and it gets pretty darn cold in NJ.

Today I couldn't decide whether to bike or run so I did both. Rode 10 miles than ran 4. I am definately planning on a tri next summer! There I put it in writing so I guess I am now committed.

Lani

I have been bestowed the title

"Queen Mother of Exercise" :exercise:

Guest 1texasmom

Performance wear is a must. Get online and look for bargains. Down to about 30 I run in shorts with a long sleeve performance top, gloves and a hat or band that covers my ears. Below that (which in Texas is like 1x every 10 years or so) I do tights instead of shorts and add a fleece vest over my performance shirt. The rule of thumb is to be slightly uncomfortable when you head out so that during the run you're warm but not too hot.

I have asthma so the cold weather on my lungs burns, too. During the winter I never miss a preventive treatment and I use my rescue inhaler prior to every run, carrying it with me for the longer runs.

Treadmills are fine, I jst get bored and will be tempted to stop. In fact I call them the dreadmill. I've actually come to love running in the cold, especially after running in 100+, high humidity weather all summer. I'm ready for the break.

Also, just because it's cold...don't forget to hydrate.

Guest travelingop

Hi Everyone,

Well, since I live in San Diego, I'm fairly fortunate to not have to worry about temperatures which go that low:-) However, I am from upstate NY and when I was in New York City last week it brought back my short lived memory of how cold it can get.

I was always told to dress in layers.. so that might be a suggestion. I actually do all my maintance runs on the treadmill and my long Saturday runs are outside. So, I don't mind the treadmill.

I forgot to tell everyone... I had my longest run ever two weeks ago.. 14 miles! It was supposed to be 12.. but being navigationally challenged I got lost and probably added 2 miles on the end of the run.. oh well. This past weekend was 8 which seemed like a breeze. Next weekend is another long one.. 14.

I am having a knee issue though.. which is stressing me out. It has been a cronic problem for awhile(bursitus) and I was getting cort. shots, but it did nothing. So, I had an MRI and that showed a little fluid, but nothing of significance. So, today I went and made an appt. with a chiropractor. I have trained to hard and to long, not to do this marathon. I did buy new shoes as well and things seemed to be worse.. so I will have the Dr. look at those as well.

Hope everyone has a great week. Im not traveling this week which is great. So, I can get back to my routine!

Elizabeth

Guest Newliferva

Hey everyone!

It was cold and windy here today too! I managed to do my four miles, tho. Yesterday we had to take our dog to the emergency vet, she lost her battle with bone cancer:sobbing:. I am very sad today and ran to take my mind off of the situation. It worked!

My Problem, is that I keep loosing weight! A WW friend, has a trainer friend who says running will keep me thin but takes a toll on my joints, I keep hearing this, it is very disturbing, since I have been running for about a year and love, love, love it! I don't want to quit running. I hope that this joint thing is just wrong. Please runners tell me what you know and feel is right!

P.S. I added 2 more points to my daily points and will see how that works for my maintainance.

Katie

First of all, Katie, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I know that has to be hard for you and your family! I can't even imagine...I will be thinking of you!

This is also my first winter as a runner. I started running last Jan, but didn't really do any outside runs until March. I'm pretty lucky here in AL---it never gets too terribly cold, but really, cold is relevant. It was 50 today and I almost froze to death! Up north that may be warm. When it is cold I run in a t shirt and cotton pants. I LOVE running in the cooler weather...I feel much more invigorated. We'll see how it goes when it gets below 50, though.

Elizabeth and Tawnya, I know how you feel with the injuries. My IT band is injured. The worst thing is that it only hurts when I run, so I don't *feel* injured until I'm about 2-3 miles into the run. I am going to get some other new shoes (going back to New Balance 766) tomorrow and scale back on the mileage and stretch. *sigh* However, I am very motivated by your marathon training Elizabeth! I was training this summer for a marathon in Nov but had to stop due to scheduling and the heat. I am determined to do one next year, though!

Besides the injury, I started my first sinus infection of the season today...I have chronic sinusitis with about 3-4 really bad flare ups/year. Two yrs ago I put off going to the doctor and it became pneumonia so I have to go to the dr tomorrow.Otherwise, I think I may have compulsive exercise syndrome or whatever it is called. Even knowing my IT band is injured I had to talk myself out of running all day long. I have a sinus infection and feel terrible, but I didn't want to eat, I wanted to run! I never thought I would be this person!

Sorry for the whining. Have a good running week everyone!

Christena

SW: 193

CW: 193

GW: 130

Guest CarefreeCas

Katie -- sorry to hear about your dog. I was watching a movie the other day (What Dreams May Come) and someone (while speaking about a dog that was sick) said, "She's going where we all go, so it can't be a bad thing." I know you'll miss her, tho :(

Anyone doing the Rock n Roll marathon.. here is a coupon code...

Save up to $25 off Your Entry Fee!

We don't trick about Virginia Beach...the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon entry fee is about to rise! And now for the treat...you can register through October 31st for $45, a savings of $15 off the early entry fee and $25 off the regular entry fee.

To take advantage of this monster deal, you must register online by October 31st. Type in the coupon code "EARLYVB" on the payment page and you're in for only $45. Starting November 1st, the price will rise to $70. So, for killer savings, register today at www.rnrhalf.com.

As far as running and joints goes, many of the newer running books I have read say that over training and improper shoes cause injuries and joint issues (not actually running itself). Running itself actually gets the body to create new cells in the joint areas and make them more flexible which is beneficial.

Read http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/01nov/osteoarthritis.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/masters/a/051704.htm

I did a 6 miler last night. Last week's 7 miler was a bit uncomfortable so I went backwards for the week. It was cold and started to rain, and I thought about stopping at about 2 miles. So the I figured I'd run a bit longer to see if it would stop drizzling, and it did. I ran into two other women runners shortly afterward which really boosted my spirit to keep going as well. It was dark way too early. Looking forward to daylight savings time change so at least it should be light in the morning. Going to check out some treadmills this week as well.

cassie

Guest 1texasmom

Elizabeth – congrats on the 14! That’s awesome!! Sorry about the knees. Get it checked out for sure.

Katie- so sorry about your dog. On joints, try running on a track or something other than concrete. I do all of my training runs on gravel trails and it makes a huge difference. As far as maintaining, I’m afraid I know nothing. I can’t seem to lose and train.

Christena- sorry about your IT and the infection. Both are treatable so don’t give up yet. As far as running with the IT band issue, I don’t know why you can’t. There are several folks in my running groups that have this issue and they continue to run. Has someone told you not to?

Cassie – good for you, not stopping. Sometimes I even make bargains with myself to keep me going…just a little bit farther and then you can surf the net for 30 minutes when you get back, just to that tree and then you can read for a while tonight….it’s funny how it works. I end up never stopping…if you’ve gone this far, then go this much further….and I never “accept” the reward/payment. I feel to good for finishing, that in it’s self is my reward.

Guest Newliferva

Hey runners!

Thanks for all the words of support on the passing of my dog. :kiss: Ever since, my cat Dino has been stuck to me. I guess he knows I need extra TLC!

Cassie-I like the idea that it is not the running itself that wears on the joints. Texas-I will try running on gravel. Boy, running clothing is so expensive. I was just at Dicks and it seems that pants and a shirt both cost about 50 bucks! I also need some new bras, the ones I have are more for Aerobics, inside. They do not wick the moisture away. I do have one pair of those 50 dollar pants.

Forgive me, but how many miles is a marathon? I think I will start out with a 5K, that I know is just 3 miles!

Happy running, gals!

Katie

Guest travelingop

Katie--Hugs out to you! So sorry to hear about your loss.

Well, I got the diagnosis from the Chiropractor who actually is a runner himself. It is my miniscus which I injured 9 years ago and had repaired. I'm frustrated because my health care provided continously mis-diagnosed the problem and choose to just inject me with mulitple cortizone shots. I hope this isn't a huge set back. The Dr. made me agree to take this week off, but that i could do the long run on Sat and I could cross train, but no running until Sat. I have 2 more appts with him this week and then I will see him again next week. And sure enough.. all out of pocket:-(

I know that this what my body requires it is just hard to sit back and not exercise. Especially since the scale hasn't moved in about a month. I believe it is probably due to some muscle, but I would like to see the 120's before the marathon.

Anways.. just had to vent...hope everyone is doing ok this week. The sun finally showed its face here this afternoon after being grey for 3 days(not typical San Diego) So, hopefully that will improve my spirits.

Elizabeth

Tawnya--gosh I hope I can run on an injured IT band---apparently I've been doing so for a month! :) I was trying to talk myself out of running yesterday only because Sunday was my "long" run (although only 5 miles) and I needed a rest day, esp. with the sinus infection.

Got the new shoes today and am relieved! When my old 766s (new balance) wore out, I got the 718s b/c they were cuter. :) Unfortunately, after talking with the salespeople, the 718s do not have adequate stability or support for my gait, causing the IT troubles. I'm just glad I found a shoe that is perfect for me...it makes all of the difference.

Christena

SW: 193

CW: 193

GW: 130

I'll just share a recent positive experience of mine. Last year I had to drop out of marathon training due to IT band problems. This year the same pain started up again when I got to my 2 1/2 hour run. I immediately went to a chiropractor who does Active Release Therapy. I've never been to a chiropractor before and am really skeptical. This is a guy who has spoken on several occasions at my running store. He is a triathlete-started life as a personal trainer, became a massage therapist, then chiropractor with specialization in ART. After 4 visits, it is healed. Basically, an irritated IT band can get adhesions to the muscle. Using extremely deep pressure while stretching my muscles in various positions, the adhesions are loosened. I did a 2 hour 40 minute this weekend with no problems.

For the person who asked about running with IT problems, mine was so painful that I couldn't tolerate the pain. Also, if it bothers you enough that you change your gait, that create new problems.

I've got 2 Dr.'s in my running group and I use an orthopedist and physical therapist who travel with the olympic track team. All of them say that joint problems are largely hereditary. Also, for runners who aren't on the elite level, it is misuse as opposed to overuse. Shoes are critically important-get fitted at a running store. Pay attention to your body. Pain is giving you a signal.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest 1texasmom

Elizabeth - well, at least now you know. Hang in there and take that much needed rest. Sending strong vibes to you...:crazy:

Christena - I'm so glad you got new shoes. I know when I "upgraded" it made a huge difference and my feet stopped hurting. I hope the long run goes well this week.

Diane - good info! I agree on the shoes. After being tested and ercorded on a video for diagnosis, they offered me 1 pair of shoes. They were perfect! I am completely sold on good shoes - but only if they come with expert fitting. The wrong pair of good shoes can be just as bad as a bad pair. So anyone who hasn't - please go to a running store to get fitted before you lo too many miles and start feeling the effects!

I'm still xtraining and testing my running occasionally. I made the mistake of wearing a small heel to work yesterday and that only aggravated the injury - not smart! I signed up to work as a volunteer at the Half on Nov 6. It was the only way I was going to be a part of this one and I wanted to be there for my groups. This will be different being on the other side for a change.

Guest CarefreeCas

Ran this morning and it was rough. I felt really draggy. It was cold

and dark which didn't help matters. Did manage to go 3 miles.

Generally I enjoy the run. Today I didn't enjoy it until it was over.

Ugh. Neeeeeeeed motivation...

Dianne -- I've read about ART. I heard it can help get rid of scar

tissue. Wish there was someone around here who did. I'd send my

bf as he has scar tissue from back surgery.

cassie

Guest travelingop

Texasmom-- Thanks for you support. Yes, I need those good vibes for sure!

I decided to take the week off completely even though the Chiropractor said I could cross train. The knee is sore and I have a 15 mile run on Saturday, so I would prefer to take the break.. I just hope not having the maintance runs in will make the run really tough.

I just hate not exercising.. I still have the mindset that no exercise means weight gain! I will just have to be super careful!

Cassie.. sorry to hear you had a tough run. We all have them and I can imagine with the cold weather it is tough, but kudos for doing it and running.. It's so hard when you don't want to.

I'll check in again tomorrow after my next dr. appt. Hopefully better news.

Elizabeth

You should be able to lay off for one week without seeing a decline in your cardio capacity. Good luck with your upcoming long run.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest CarefreeCas

:help: Okay, so I will be running a half marathon in April which is as far as

I ever planned to run. I have really just never had any desire to run

26+ miles so I figured I would just do half marathons.

So anyway, I was on the jeffgalloway website and started reading

about his run/walk program. And at first I'm thinking, okay, in the

Army walking was for wimps. Then it dawns on me that no one was

going 26 miles for a run. So this walk/run thing is now something

I'm considering should I decide to ever try 26.2. I still really

have no desire to run that far, but I'm thinking a run/walk might

keep my mind engaged (watching the clock, changing things up a bit).

Although I believe I could *run* that far, I just flat don't want to.

My question, have any of you ever tried this program? If so, how

did it work out for you? They are claiming people actually have

better times this way... and I'd like to know a bit more.

cassie

There is a walk/run training group at my running club. They seem to do pretty well on time. The head coach told me that his third best marathon was walk/run. Could you train with a group? I think that would be key with any marathon training.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest 1texasmom

Cassie - I did Galloway and loved it. I don't know about better times, because I'm so slow to begin with. If you can find a group that's already using it, go out with them a few times and see how you do. Which half will you be doing?

W2G - I've not been assigned a station at the WR Half yet. I forgot your in my area. As soon as I know where I'll be, I'll let you know. I promise to give you a big old cheer as you run by!!

I have signed up the do the White Rock Marathon Relay in December. I'll be doing a 5 mile leg around the lake - the flat part. DS1 and the 2 ladies I ran Chicago with are on my team and we've asked a new runner that we've met, too. We don't expect to come anywhere near winning, we're just there to have fun and make a new friend. But, the ladies and I have decided that DS1 will run the leg with the most hills. lol!!

Guest travelingop

Cassie,

I am using the Jeff Galoway method to train for my marathon. At first I was hesitant like you.. thinking.. walking is for wimps! But what I have found out is that yes.. you can get a better time and gives your body a minute to rest. I am doing 4:1.. Run 4 min.. walk 1 min. Last week when I ran 8 miles.. It ended up being a 10 min mile even with the walk!

I highly suggest it!

Elizabeth

Guest sunnym145

Hi,

I signed onto this board a few weeks ago and then forgot to come back!

I did an 8 miler this morning with a friend from the gym. She's a fast 5k-er and I'm a slow distancer so it was a nice "middle length run" at an avg pace of 9:17 which is fast for me. I'll be doing my LR tomorrow at 6AM. I'm stepping back this week to 14 miles (last two weeks LR's were 16). I'm training for the Disney full marathon Jan 8th, 2006. It will be my firstfull marathon:headover:

texasmom I checked out your website and loved it! I really love what you say about being "an athlete in training" rather than talking about exercise. It hadn't dawned on me, but I love saying "I'm in training" now! Motivation is key!

Sunny

Guest CarefreeCas

Welcome, Sunny! I know what you mean about the "in training" thing. I signed up for the Country Music Half Marathon and my ww leader gave me a "bravo" sticker and then asked if I was already training. When I sent out an email to the group of gals that will be running as well, I started it with "Okay, half marathoners"... and that sounded cool to me....

cassie