Health Discovery Network
Guest CarefreeCas

Runner's Thread ** 10/24/2005 **

texasmom-I'll be running a 1/2 at The Rock also. 2 years ago I did the relay there. It was a lot of fun. Have you done a relay? I know a few teams that had problems with the next runner being at the expected point so some runners ended up doing 2 legs.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest 1texasmom

Diane - never done a relay. This is new to us. Is there a shuttle and that was the problem? Or do we transport ourselves? We've got some homework to do. Lucky thing is that we've run this route - or most of it before. We all ran the Big D last spring, we've trained at the lake some and I've done a couple of bike rallys on this route. That should help us...at least we know where to go. We will check it out, thanks for the head's up on that.

Hi, Cassie, Sunny - if I didn't say so before - welcome. This thread has really taken off. It's good to have you here.

I'm planning my first LSR, since Chicago, tomorrow morning. It's not actually that long, only 6. I just don't want to over do it the first time back out. I made out a training schedule today that will take me through the Turkey Trot 10k all of the way to the marathon relay Dec 11. I had promised myself that I wouldn't get obsessive, my goal until Jan 1 is to lose weight. I'm only planning on running 3x a week and then only up to 45 minutes, then bike 2x a week and lift 3x a week. I think that's fairly sane. No overkill, just some good endorphine pumping workouts to keep up my cardio and boost my metabolism. If I can have some fun with a couple of races along the way, well then even better. Just knock me on the head though if I start doing 2-a-days again or something crazy like that!!

Welcome Sunni! I'm so excited that we have so many people on board these days! I would love to do the Disney marathon one day! I think it sounds like so much fun. They have triathlons there in the summer as well that DH is interested in.

Cassie, I tried the Jeff Galloway method when I was training for the marathon this summer before I had to drop out. I did not like it BUT I was doing 7:1 instead of 4:1. Since my IT band is injured and I'm having to do a run/walk combo anyway, I think I will try the 4:1 on my run this morning.

Tawnya, your training plan sounds great. I need to make something like that up for myself. I have just had so much trouble with injuries since I started running: blisters, plantar faciitis, IT band syndrome--I KNOW it is because I do not have a sound training plan.

Elizabeth, good luck with your long run and let us know how it goes!

Weigh to go, thanks for the advice! Did I read on another thread that you are a running coach? How cool!

Well, everyone, I'm headed out to do as much as I can without hurting myself. Last night I ran around the parking lot and yard with the dog and my knee didn't bother me for a long time. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes....I just checked the temp at it is 37F at 6:55am on a Saturday. I know I say this all the time but I cannot believe I am this person!

Christena

SW: 193

CW: 193

GW: 130

Texas-The Runners will have to get themselves to the relay points. I'm not sure what the problem was. I think they just didn't have their timing right in terms of what time they would need to be in place. If people would wear something bright colored or unusual, it would make it easier to spot one another. The points get really crowded with people looking for their team mates.

Christena-I've been coaching for about 2 1/2 years now. I was a certified couch potato until I started running about 4 years ago. Mostly, I coach brand new runners who have never run any race before. It is really fun to watch people become runners.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest 1texasmom

Lived thru my LR. When I was finished I didn't really want to stop. It felt good once I got past that first mile and all of those phantom pains. I was really sore/tight last night but seem fine today, but I'm sticking to my plan to rest so that I can meet my training goals for the rest of the week.

Sometimes the things that I'm doing hit me. Me? A runner? In trainning? Who would have ever thought that? Not me! But then again, seeing is believing. And believe me, when I'm on training run and pass by those people..you know...those people...the ones who look like runners...they always give me a look. A look that says, wow it doesn't look like she should be able to do that. I know that's probably not what they are thinking. They probably aren't thinking about me at all. It just feels like it. Another body/self image thing to overcome, I'm sure.

Tawnya, glad you were able to do your long run! My life just gets out of balance when I'm not running consistently. I also know what you mean about other runners. I feel the same way and always have. I run across town in a park that is in a very affluent neighborhood. It's a nice trail and safe and lots of students run/walk there b/c it is right aross from the university. However, I run in to so many snobby runners there. The women run in really cute/expensive jog suits or sports bras and shorts, etc. It is so crazy...sometimes when I go and I'm walking, they will not even look at me. If I'm running, generally the runners at least smile but I always think that they are thinking "she's not a real runner." I even have a paranoia about wearing my Country Music Half Marathon shirt around...I'm thinking people think "she really didn't do that." I'm working on it though.

Saturday morning I had a great run! I walk/jogged 5 miles...jogging as much as possible and walking if I felt my knee feeling funny. It was SO cold! I ran in a sweatshirt and yoga pants. This weekend is my 10k and I'm nervous about it! I just hope I can finish without walking, but I will walk if I need to.

Christena

Guest Babe Ruthless

HI Runners!

Just checking in to say "yes, I am alive!". I haven't run since the end of July - the 10k at the World Masters Games was my last run. I started having severe foot pain but was too busy with the move (or lazy) to do anything about it. I finally got orthotics made for my fallen arches and am back to walking with the plan of getting back to running soon.

So, now I'm MUCH heavier than I was last year AND somewhat out of shape. You'd think that running up the 16 steep steps to the second floor of my house 10x per day would have helped keep me in shape during my lay off but obviously not. I get out of breath really easy and my asthma has gotten bad again. Obviously its time to get back to the exercise again!

I went for a good walk today - about 5k and enjoyed it. My feet did not hurt, for once, but my hip got pretty tight half way through and then loosened up again. I have a long way to go but I'm determined to do the Triathlon I had to miss this year due to illness.

Looks like you girls are running up a storm and as usual, I am so impressed with you guys!

Hope you don't mind me jumping back in after all this time but you gals motivate me to do better!

Have a wonderful OP week!

Tamara :work_out:

Guest CarefreeCas

Tamara - Welcome! or Welcome back :)

Tawnya *only* did 6 miles? Slacker... (okay, so the farthest I've gone so far is 7 and my long run tonight is 6 so I though I'd pick on you...)

I think this is a great time of year. The cold weather forces us to change up our routines. We get so caught up in running that we forget that cross training burns calories, gets us in shape, and uses different muscles. (I don't know about you, but I have no desire to have huge legs and arms that are string beans like some of the professional runners do...)

Do anything long enough, and your body will get used to it. So, when you decide to jump on that bicycle or elliptical trainer a couple of times a week rather than run 6 days a week -- no need to feel that we doing less. (I know I have tendency to sometimes dismiss cross training as less than running.)

Enjoy the change, ladies!

Guest 1texasmom

Cassie - pick away!

Tamara - welcome back! Haven't heard from you in ages. I'm glad to hear you're ready to try running again. What tri are you going to do?

Guest travelingop

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would update you on how my long run on Saturday went. Well, it was 14 miles...but because of all the hill work, I was told it was like 16. The first 1/2 wasn't to bad on my knee except going down the hill, I had to walk..However, coming back was almost agony. I had been doing 4:1(run 4 min.. walk 1), but the coach wanted me to go to 2:1 on the way back because of my knee. He also wants me training in a pool intead of the treadmill. Any of you done any water running?

I feel very defeated right now. Having trained for so long and now this! I realize my goal is just to complete the marathon which I will do.. if I have to crawl, but I would prefer to enjoy it. My chiropractor assures me that running on it can't hurt it anymore than it is, but yesterday and today it just hurt without doing anything.

I'm trying to stay positive, but its hard. I'm away on business again and there is a treadmill in the hotel...and I so badly want to get on it. So, I will try 30 min and see how i feel. I did take last week off with exception of the long run and then Monday, and I could tell cardiowise from my long run. The marathon is 5 weeks away, so I hope I can get to a place where the knee isn't terrible.

I have also decided that this might be the last marathon I do:-( I will stick with 1/2 marathons, 10k etc because of my knee.. unless I can get it back to normal.

Anways.. that is what is going on with me.. so sorry to be so down.. I just knew you all would understand.

Elizabeth

Guest 1texasmom

Elizabeth - sorry your run was so painful. I really feel for you, but I don't think there is an easy answer. I had two injuries come up about 2 months before my marathon - I developed tendonitis in both knees and I pulled a ligament in my left ankle. I underwent PT and was on anti-infamatory meds for about 6 weeks. Although I was not reduced to complete rest, I was told to taper early. Like you I'd trained with Galloway doing a 4:1, but I never made it up to the 22 mile run. I had it scheduled but was only able to complete 20. I was in pain and I didn't see any reason to continue suffering through a training run and hurting myself more, possibly ruling out the marathon. But, I'd also promised myself that no matter what I would finish the marathon. During the event I started hurting in mile 10, but I was mentally prepared and just put my mind into moving forward. I didn't hit the wall until mile 13 (early for some), but looking back I know that it was mental and I used the injury as a reason to whine during those miles. AT mile 16 I dug down and found some new resolve that I hadn't drawn on yet and picked it back up. I did have to change around from a 4:1 to a 2:2 and at one time even a 1:4, but I kept going and eventually worked back to a 4:1. Other than the hamstring I tore sprinting to the finish line (dumb move on my part and I'm still recovering!), I'm in no worse shape today and I met my goal to finish the marathon. All I'm really trying to say is that you can do this, but only you can decide how much you're willing to compromise and what you hope to get out of it. I learned a lot from my experience. I know my limits now and will better be able to build a training plan that fits the needs of my body. Hope this helps some.

I did elliptical last night and some weight training. My leg was tight by the time I went to bed, but I think I'm past the pain stage. It really didn't hurt. I could tell that it was a little swollen and it was very stiff. I couldn't bend or straighten my leg fully. I'll have to continue to work on the stretching. Maybe that will help with the flexability as well as the range of motion. Tonight I plan to try a 20 minute run on the treadmill with about 20 minutes of walking for a 40 minute cardio.

Guest travelingop

Texasmom,

Thanks so much for your response! It really helps reading what other people have gone through. I have so much invested in this marathon not only physically, but emotionally. It is not only my first marathon, but one I am running in honor of mom who died 20 years ago to cancer. I have spent the last several months not only training, but raising money for the City of Hope.

I am totally committed to completing this run.. I would prefer to keep the 4:1, but my coach feels at 2:1 would be better for me because of my knee. I guess you are right.. what is the sacrifice here. My goal is obviously not to win, but to finish. I will keep in mind that a lot of this is mental.

I did run 3 miles today as a maintance run.. felt ok.. during.. afterwards.. not as good, but I just loved the cardio feeling.. I have been missing that trying to take off and heal.

I actually won't do the 20 mile run either.. 18 will be the most for me, but cardiowise I feel fine..I just hope the knee holds out!

Thanks sooo much for your response.. It really helps!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth-I'm so sorry. I feel your pain. Last year I was training for a marathon and developed a problem 3 1/2 months into my 5 month training. The PT suggested deep water pool running for the same amount of time I would be running. I just couldn't do it. Running in place for 3 hours in a pool just wasn't happening. I had to drop out of training altogether. I really think I went into depression. I had planned, trained, told everyone and built some of my self-image around being a marathoner. I thought I would never run again. I was sitting in an ice bath with a sweater and hat on just completely sobbing with my DH (not a runner) trying to figure out how to comfort me. Months later I started running a little bit again. I promised myself I would never attempt a full marathon again because I didn't feel like I could risk disappointment like that in case of injury. I talked to a trainer at The Cooper Institute who advised me to lay off myself and do a few more half's (halves?) and not consider that somehow less than a marathon-just different. That is what I'm in training for right now (this weekend and another in December). Yesterday, I was with the chiropractor who does ART and told him that I felt like he had "healed" me, and if I am right I would try a full marathon next year. He said, "Why next year? Don't lose your base. Do a marathon this Spring." For some reason, that had not occurred to me. I came home got on the internet and found OKC on 4/30/06. God willing, I'll be there.

Just make sure you are really doing the medically smart thing and not letting the disappointment of DELAYING your marathon, make you do something that you'll regret. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Elizabeth, I'm sorry for the disappointment as well. I have had 2 "false starts" on marathon training, but I have never gotten to the point where you are. In fact, injuring my IT band about 5-6 weeks ago was my 2nd false start. I think you are amazing for keeping your determination and doing what you have so far. Follow your trainer's advice for sure and know that we are here at BCB rooting for you!!! You are so sweet to run in memory of your mom.

This weekend is my 10k and I found out yesterday that several of the people I thought were running it aren't and some others haven't been training adequately, so if I have to walk I will just walk. My knee is feeling better every day since I have been incorporating stretching, warm ups, and walk breaks into my runs. This weekend I am planning on doing 4:1. Wish me luck!

Christena

Guest sunnym145

I can relate to the "runner's thoughts" syndrome. I often feel like runner's are looking at me and wondering "how is that large woman running this distance and this pace". I was hoping finishing my first marathon might put those old voices to rest once and for all, but it sounds like maybe I'll just have to just keep actively silencing them!

I'm starting to feel knee pain, too. Its not new, but its getting worse and lingering longer as my mileage climbs (40+ miles per week now). So I made an apt with an ortho and got myself a knee band. I did an easy 7 mile run today and quickly elevated and iced when I got back. I did 70 minutes of elliptical trainer last night to spare the knee. Talk about boring! And I thought the TM was boring!!!!!

Keep up the great work everyone :)

Sunny

Guest 1texasmom

Diane, I'm a course timer this weekend for The Half. I don't know my mile marker until race morning. I'd love to get a chance to at least give you a high five as you run by! Look for me (or listen, since I'll be yelling out times). I'll wear a bright yellow LiveStrong cap with my black/rasberry Chicago Marathon jacket. I was hoping that I would be at the start or finish areas. One of the ladies that I trained with all 2004/05 and ran Chicago with has moved to N Dallas from FTW. I was hoping to hook you two up so you could introduce her to the running groups in your area. Maybe next time - at WR - and I'll be running that one, too. Good luck!!

Hi there -

I'm not sure if I'll be a runner, ever - but I've started making baby steps.

My DH has always run, and did the Boston marathon a few years back. Now that we live in the southwest (with its perfect climate right now), I've started to run - jog? with him.

It's really freaking hard - but it does get a little easier every time. I'm not sure how far I got in a given spurt - maybe an 1/8 of a mile before I start to wheeze? My recovery is getting a bit better, so now it's 1/8 jog, 1/8 walk, jog,walk,jog, walk until the end of the trail.

I have 2 problems. First, I'm terribly uncoordinated. When I think too much about it, I'll have issue walking, mush less running. DH is helping me with this, but sometime I tense up anyway. Any thoughts?

Second, my knees are not the best. I've never been treated, as the've neevr gone out - but they creak and now they ache a bit. My left knee (which I twisted badly years ago) feels a little weak soemtimes. Is this similar to sore muscles, or should I be very careful? (Mother has arthritis in her knees and was nearly incapacitiated while living in the damp Midwest, Dad has had knee surguries, but because of soccer injuries).

Thanks all!

5'6" ReSD 11/3/05 SW:161.5 ** CW:157.0 ** GW:150

**Tracking journal** Old journal

Texasmom-That sounds like an easy outfit to spot. I'll look for you. I haven't decided on my clothes yet, but I'm bib #2006. For your friend, I can't recommend Run-On highly enough. Mockingbird Lane Sunday mornings at 6 AM we are training (about 100 runners) for half or full marathons. http://www.runontexas.com

Lit Chick-I would be very careful about running with your Mom's history of arthritis in her knees. Maybe an orthopedist WHO IS A RUNNER could advise you.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest travelingop

I want to thank everyone for their words of wisdom and support. Iappreciate it more than you know! It has been a tough week emotionally, but I just went the Chiropractor today and I always feel better after seeing him.

I also need to stay off the internet trying to diagnose myself and figure out what other runners are doing with the same injury. I need to trust my Dr. who is a runner himself and believe that his advice is best.

I have a short run tomorrow.. 8 miles, so hopefully I won't be hurting to badly.

I hope everyone has a good weekend!

Elizabeth

Guest 1texasmom

Elizabeth - glad you're better. The internet thing...good luck, it's like a disease. I can't stop. There is just too much information out there. I'm sure my doc sees me coming and hides! lol!!

Stay off the internet! :)

This is coming from a girl who has made a fool of herself multiple times in the doctor's office and vet's office because of symptom surfing on the internet! The last time I went in with a cancer scare with my dog (I know, I know...), the vet told me not to be on the internet anymore....the only people who post have the worst-case scenarios...like runners who are sidelined for years from plantar faciitis (yup, read that) or get stress fractures from overtraining. No one posts about common injuries or diseases that heal up properly.

:) :) :)

Christena

TexasMom-I'll be looking for you tomorrow. I bet you won't be needing that jacket. I'll be wearing a sleeveless, medium-blue "Trained by Run On" shirt with black shorts. Probably a neon yellow hat.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Today must have been Race Saturday! I did my big 10k this morning and there were tons of people there. It was a really good course, though and I finished in 1:01. So I was pleased with that. I had taked to some girls at work who were running it and we had agreed to meet and I was so nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them. But we all ran the same pace and it was fine and made the race go by so much faster---I'm not used to training with others. My knee started hurting at about mile 3.5 but not very bad. I finished out and was fine.

How did the other races go?

Christena

Wooo Hooo! Great time. I know that nervous feeling about not being able to keep up. It always turns out fine. My race is tomorrow.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

I've been walking for 4 months. I was getting bored, so I decided to jog and walk. Today, I walked 1.25 miles, then jogged 1 mile (very slowly), then walked for 1.75 miles. How do I know when to increase my pace and mileage?

What advice would you give to a jogging newbie? What made you want to run in the first place? Did you find it a lot of fun when you first started? I didn't feel this way about walking, but jogging (even slowly) felt invigorating and freeing.

Thanks for your time,

mrss

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone