Health Discovery Network
Guest CarefreeCas

Runner's Thread ** 10/24/2005 **

Guest CarefreeCas

mrss,

Welcome to the runner's thread! I really started putting some effort into running when joing ww back in March. I thought it would be a good weightloss tool, and I also wanted to get back into shape. It did the trick, and now I enjoy it a great deal. Not only do I enjoy the run, but I also enjoy doing my training schedule, reading about tips on improving, and chatting with others about it (this is a great thread on bcb!).

Quite a few of the women have recommended starting with the Couch to 5k plan. I have never personally done this plan, but I have heard great things about it.

You can find this plan at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Remember, plans are guidance so if joints, feet, etc. start to hurt, you can always back off a bit or find places to run other than the road (dirt trails, local highschool track). Also, you need a good pair of running shoes. They can make a world of difference (speaking from knee experience here). Running is a lot like weight watchers in that it is a good idea to have little goals along the way to help you keep going.

Hope this helps!

Cassie

Cassie, thanks for the link and your advice. :)

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

Guest Babe Ruthless

Tamara - welcome back! Haven't heard from you in ages. I'm glad to hear you're ready to try running again. What tri are you going to do?

Hey there! I am going to do the Coronation Triathlon again next year in May. I have a long way to go since I've gotten so out of shape AND gained so much weight but I have to start somewhere and its good motivation to work out.

I've discovered that I'll have access to TWO gyms downtown - one for free for 4 months, and one that I don't know how much it will cost. It can't be any more than the cost to my health and self esteem by NOT exercising!

I'll continue to touch base here and see how hard you guys are working towards your goals. It will be snowing here soon (maybe tonight!) so that will be interesting to run in.

Have a wonderful OP week!

Tamara

Guest 1texasmom

MRSS - welcome! I also started running to lose weight and then I got hooked on races. The more I run, the more I like it. There is just nothing like running across a finish line - even if its to the chering crowd that I've only got in my head. I also have a great time with the running groups I've joined and the new friendships I've made while training for longer races. It's become as much of a social outlet for me as it is a way to egt in shape. Besides "trainnig" is so much more fun than "exercise."

I ran 3 miles Saturday, only half of what was scheduled but it just flat out hurt too bad. I drove to the gym and finished on the elliptical to get my cardio time in. I was sore and swollen the rest of the weekend. I know I have to build back up these weak muscles to come back from my injuries. I just want to be back in shape...YESTERDAY!