Health Discovery Network
Guest CarefreeCas

Runner's Thread [[ 11/07/2005 ]]

Guest CarefreeCas

Time for a new thread. Hope everyone had a great weekend! Thought I'd start this one off with a question:

Why did you start running and what is it that inspires you to run now?

cassie

Guest Tianzi

Hi Everyone!

I guess I get to be first to answer today's question...

I started running because It would be a challenge for me, not alot of people can even do it, whether they just think they can't or for some health issues they simply can't. When a Run/Walk clinic became available in our small town. It was my chance to do it. A few people I knew laughed and said Running? It challenged me even more and I did it!!! Ran a 5K in May and have been running ever since. I also knew it would help me lose weight. I keep doing it because I know it's very good for my health and keeping my weight off, i also like it when i tell people I'm a runner, most are impressed and it makes me feel like I have really accomplished something. I have a picture on my fridge...my head on a runners body, my friends and family used to laugh, now they don't and my DH says you'll look even better than that! It makes me sleep better and feel better...What about you all?????:)

Guest travelingop

I began running because it was the one exercise the just took the weight off fast. It was also a form of exercise which I could see improvments. Last January I was only able to run 1 min on the treadmil, now I am training for a marathon in 1 month.

Running has done amazing things for me not only physically, but emotionally. It has given me confidence and well as the inspiration to set lofts goals like a marathon. I never thought I would be considered a "Runner." I still struggle with that title. I say.. I'm not a runner.. Im just training to be one:-)

Completed my 8 mile maintance run this weekend.. Still a bit of pain.. but I did a 5:1 vs. a 4:1 or 2:1 which was actually better.. less time on the road.

Next week we jump up in miles again.. 16.. hopefully I can make it through.

Thanks again for all your support!

Have a great week everyone!

Elizabeth

Guest 1texasmom

Why I started running...I started walking to lose weight. My SIL invited me to a 5k and that was the most boring thing I'd ever done, I kept trying to jog. After 45 minutes I told her that I wasn't doing one again unless I could run it. She replied, "ok, so when is the next race...let's start getting ready now." I did. I started with this tiny little walk/jog thing (I now know this is called couch 2 5k - and here I thought I made this up!) and gradually was able to run the full distance. I signed up for another race. I ran the whole thing, crossed the finish line and heard people cheering. Ok...so if they cheer now, what will happen if I run it faster...what if I run a longer one??? I was hooked. I got a little faster and when I was satisfied with my speed I started increasing my distances until I am where I am today. Now I stay with it because I made new friends, joined two running groups, it gives me more confidence in myself, it releives stress, and I'm having fun! I also like when I overheard DH bragging on me to a friend of his or when my kids want to enter a race with me so that they can try to beat me. I like that as DD gets older she has a role model that I never had - so maybe we're preventing her becoming overweight along the way.

Guest Newliferva

Hi Runners!

Why I started running...I just got bored with walking fast so I started jogging a little until I worked up to the 4 miles I currently do. I was recovering from an achilles tendon repair so I had to start real slow, stretch, stretch and stretch first. Afterwards I liked the way running was shaping my body and it helped me drop the weight fast! Also gave me more confidence and reduced stress. Sometimes I think I am adicted to running. It is important to me and when I can't run I can think of nothing else except when I can run again!

Katie:crazy:

Guest sunnym145

I started exercising to lose weight. I quickly gravitated towards the faster calorie burn choices and running was right at the top. In my teens and 20s I tried running many times but could never get past 2 - 3 miles because I always started out full speed ahead and pooped out. This time around I leanred to jog/walk (wog). Increasing miles gave me confidence and made it more exciting. Then increasing speed made it even more exciting. Now I lose weight (or try to at least) to support my running. My entire life has been reorganized to support my running. Its my anti-depressant and therapy as well as exercise.

Unfortunately, I hit the wall last Monday. I trained hard all last week and ran a 5K on Sunday. Monday I tried to run and could barely make it 4.6 miles. Monday night I tried to do my normal weight lifting and absolutely couldn't do it. I stayed home from work yesterday because I could barely move. Today I'm still not running and I feel soooooo depressed. But I keep telling myself this is temporary and I'll feel great as soon as I get back out there.

I'm scheduled to run an 11K on Veteran's Day. I hope I can do it. Its pretty neat: 11K on 11/11 starting at 11:11 in rememberance of veterans.

Sunny

Guest CarefreeCas

Thanks all for posting replies. Seems we all started pretty much the same way!

Sunny - be careful, woman! Maybe you might want to try tapering down before a race rather than doing the hard training thing the week before (yes, I know it feels like slacking off, but it isn't!)

So I have been doing my training schedule with 1 to 2 days of a rest a week since early March. The other day I was reading a running magazine. They recommended at least once a year taking a bit of a break. I realized I might need one 1. for my body and 2. for my mind so i could look forward getting out there again.

So... this week I am trying to back off as I have a 10k race on Nov 19th. It feels really weird. Next week will be even less miles and more mentally difficult (you know the deal, I feel like I'm gaining weight, losing tone, etc.). I decided to take an entire week off from running the week after the race. I'm excited about it really. Since it is scheduled, I am telling myself I can't feel guilty. Seems to be working so far. I have a feeling, though, that when that week is over I will be ready to get back to it.

So sometimes it is good to take a break and regroup :)

cassie

Guest 1texasmom

Cassie, just saw your site. Great pictures! What type of dog do you have? And don't you just love Her Sports??!! I hear you about the break. Sounds like a great plan.

I've been mostly xtraining this week and last. I'm only running on Saturdays for my LSR. The only upcoming commitment I have is 5 miles of a marathon relay on December 11. Since it's only 5 miles, I've given myself permission to take a break from training, too. I'm still working out, but it's more about having fun, getting healthy and losing weight. I'm trying not to push myself, if I hurt I back off, if I'm tired then I pull back. When I'm training I don't allow that, so for me this is way different.

Guest CarefreeCas

Thanks, Texas. I'm really not sure what kind of dog he is. The vet said she thought

he was partly giant schnauzer, but who knows? He does like to run, though I've never

taken him over 3 miles (mostly because I am worried he will get overheated). I

may try further with him since it is starting to cool off a bit.

I enjoyed reading the stories on your site. I noticed you haven't updated with your

marathon pics/stories. Let me know as soon as you get a chance to post, I would love

to read about it!

Tonight is a 7 miler with the DBF. Tomorrow is a day off from work. Woohoo!

So, Jennifer has inspired me. I decided to start studying for the ACE personal

trainer cert. I am also currently taking a class on Brain Basics (the brain, nervous

system, etc.) Our bodies are amazing! So an interesting thing, when you feel like

you are not getting enough air or oxygen while exercising, it *isn't* because you need to take deeper breaths. It is because your body cannot deliver oxygen

to your cells fast enough. Training and aerobic exercise actually increases the number of capillaries that do oxygen exchange with the cells and increases the density of mitochondria. (Mitochondria is what produces ATP using oxygen. ATP is the muscle energy source.) So all this time I thought maybe my lungs were too small or something. Turns out that doesn’t appear to be the case at all. Also, when you start to breathe hard and begin to feel like you aren’t getting air, your workout has changed from aerobic to anaerobic. If you are doing a distance training run, this means slow the heck down. If you are doing intervals, and keep with the pace, you are training you anaerobic system rather than your aerobic system. Cool stuff.

cassie

Guest stampinmiss

Hi

I started running for weight loss but I haven't lost any!!

I am getting a little discouraged by it. I am a lifetime WW at healthy weight but not really where I'd like to be. I run with my neighbor & that is what keeps me going because without her I don't think I'd really keep it up. We have been running since April & it's still really hard for me. We run 3x's week 3 miles, 3 miles & 4 miles. We did a 5K in Oct, my time was 36 min. My neighbor is much faster than me & stronger. Any advice for me improving my time? I think I don't have a "runner's body" & sometimes wonder if I should look for another excercise. I do enjoy one route particularly that we do out in the country.

OK, this is run on. Thanks for reading.

Guest travelingop

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in before my long run on Saturday.. 16 plus miles. I'm a bit worried with the knee issue, but determined to run through it.

I'm on the road all next week, so it will only be treadmill running as I will be in very hot Texas(Rio Grande City).

I have decided to get a 3rd opinion about my knee and go back to the dr. who did my surgery 9 years ago. My current ins. company doesn't think I have a problem.. The chiropractor thinks its a torn meniscus.. I think I need something from another med. dr. to get my ins. company to listen.

Anways.. hope everyone has a great weekend.. I will write from Texas!

Elizabeth

Guest CarefreeCas

Just wanted to say... I made lifetime this weekend! Woohoo!

I started running for weight loss but I haven't lost any!!

I am getting a little discouraged by it. I am a lifetime WW at healthy weight but not really where I'd like to be. I run with my neighbor & that is what keeps me going because without her I don't think I'd really keep it up. We have been running since April & it's still really hard for me. We run 3x's week 3 miles, 3 miles & 4 miles. We did a 5K in Oct, my time was 36 min. My neighbor is much faster than me & stronger. Any advice for me improving my time...QUOTE]

Just my 2 cents... mix up your runs a bit. I would try a training program that incorporates a long run and some interval training. Long runs will build stamina, intervals will increase speed. It also keeps things from getting boring. Do you plan to run another 5k or have any particular goals you would like to reach? Setting some might help with the motivation. I know it helps me a great deal! You haven't lost weight, but what about inches? Have you noticed the muscles becoming more defined in your legs. If you are at a healthy weight, it might be best to look at something besides the scale to determine progress.

Did you enjoy the 5k? Are there other exercises that you enjoy? I wouldn't worry about the "runner's body" thing. I have seen people who could run circles around others who look as though they should be able to. If you have been running since April every week, don't be scared to take a running break. I realized I needed one (I have been running a lot since March). The week of Thanksgiving, I am going to do no running. I will, however, be crosstraining (elliptical, etc.)

cassie

Guest sunnym145

Hi,

I ran my Veteran's Memorial 11K on Friday. It was a really nice race, very emotional. I'm a little discouraged that my speed really hasn't improved since July. My July 5K pace was 8:22 on a flat course, my Nov 5K is 8:21 on a moderately challenging course. My July 10K pace was 8:57 and my 11K race came out to be 8:55. Yet my TM speeds have improved dramatically.

I am 8 weeks out from my first marathon and i have to admit, I am having doubts about my ability to do this for the first time since I registered in June. I'm telling myself this is just the normal psyche stuff one goes through as the race approaches. Anyone else experience this during training for your first marathon?

Happy running everyone:work_out:

Sunny

Guest travelingop

I did it! I ran 16 miles this weekend. Farthest I've run in my life! The marathon is just one month away. Gosh it gets scarier all the time.. I'm excited and nervous at the same.

:-) Elizabeth

Sunny-Are you running to finish or do you have a time goal? Are you on track with your training schedule?

Way to go, Elizabeth! That is neat when you are in that phase of "this is the farthest I've ever run."

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest sunnym145

Congratulations, Diane! You're going to shine for that marathon!

Diane-- I originally set my goal at sub 4:30. Over the past month I have been hoping to make that sub 4:15. I haven't committed to a Cliff pace team yet, but I think I will. There's a 4:15 and a 4:30, so I'm not sure which I will do yet.

I'm on schedule with my training. I started out way ahead of the schedule, I was doing 16-18 mile LRs all summer.

Sunny

Guest stampinmiss

Carefree CASCongrats on Lifetime!!!!

Good for you!

Thanks for your advice above! I would like my next goal to be to do a 5K in less time. I looked at the local running sites the other day & the 2006 racing schedule isn't posted so I don't have a specific one in mind. I think you gave good advice & I know I must branch out & cross train.

You also asked a good question, "did you enjoy the 5K?". The answer honestly is not really. It was a fun race because it was Halloween & they run in costumes & I dressed as Underdog (many are too young to remember him...) so that part was fun. I was very discouraged at the end because the last mile was uphill & I was about dead when I crossed the finish line. My friend who I ran with is very competitive & she loved every minute of it. I missed my music & my rural county route.

Maybe I am not a born racer, but I do think it is a good way to set those goals like you said. I admire you marathoners but don't aspire to be one!

Guest 1texasmom

Wow! You've all been busy.

I'm working out 4x a week at the gym. I'm still biking 2x and elliptical 2x. I'm only running on weekends, but even that didn't go so well last weekend. I did my 5 minute warm up walk and then started my interval timer for a 4:1 Galloway run. I couldn't even do the 4 minutes. Both knees were just screaming. It's plain old tendonitis, but I just couldn't run through it this time. On the next run I timed myself to see how long I could go and then changed my timer to fit. I ended up doing a 2:2 for about 3 miles. Funny thing is, when I ran, I really ran. My average pace was under a 10 min mile. I usually try to stay with a 12 min mile during my LR, but that's not what my body wanted/needed. I'll take what I can get when I can get it, I guess.

Stampinmiss – do what feels right. If you enjoy your country route with your music on, then go for it. It’s a great stress reliever and a great way to improve your overall health. Nothing says you have to race. In fact, maybe you’re the sane one here! J

Elizabeth – Congrats on the 16!!

Sunny – I was a nervous wreck leading up to my marathon. Is there such a thing as cold feet with runners? You’ve trained hard, and according to your posts, you’ve trained well. You’re ready, physically. Now get ready mentally. Have you read about the course? Can you get there early and drive over some or all of it? Knowing what to expect sure helped me with the mental aspect.

Cassie – Way to go on the lifetime!! Yeah, my site is way out of date. I got behind during training and just haven’t had time to get to it. I was actually thinking about taking that up now that it gets dark earlier I can’t be outside and I need to keep busy.

Guest CarefreeCas

This weekend is my first 10k. I'm looking forward to it, but I hope it warms up a little! A new running club and store just started up in the town where I live, and there are *not* a lot of good places around here to run (without constantly watching for cars). The spot they picked is close to the area I normally run which means there is probably going to be a pretty long hill to run up (ugh). Combine that with the wind that has been blowing around this place, and it won't be a nice easy one. Hopefully the wind will take a vacation on Saturday.

What's everyone else up to this weekend?

cassie

Guest sunnym145

Cassie-- congratulations on making lifetime! ANd good luck on the 10K this weekend.

I did 10 miles this morning with a friend from the gym. She runs much faster than me, we did the first 9 miles at an avg pace of 9:00 and I finally told her to go on a head so I could take my own sweet time on the last mile. I find speed KILLS endurance for me. I couldn't have gone much further.

This weekend will be my second 20 miler. I'm gearing up...

Sunny

Guest travelingop

Cassie--WTG on Lifetime! Your rock. WTG on your 10K. It sounds like you are on a roll.

I am jealous of everyone and your running this week. I have been on the road and haven't had a chance to run since my 16 miles.. it freaks me out a bit with the marathon so close. I am running a 10K on Thanksgiving.. but now is no time to take a break. Hopefully a week of, won't be like starting from scratch.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Elizabeth

I don't believe I have even posted on this new thread!

This morning I went out for an 8 miler. Just made it 5 because I tried a pre- run breakfast that didn't agree with me at all...a Snickers Marathon bar. I'm just so glad I didn't do this before a race or a longer run cause it could have been embarrassing.

Everyone is so motivating! I'm thinking about doing a 1/2 marathon next month, but not sure. My knee seems to be better (IT band) but I have been keeping the mileage low.

Elizabeth, you will do great on your marathon!!

Christena

SW: 193

CW: 193

GW: 130