Health Discovery Network
Julia123

To The Runners: Tips for a Newbie? :)

I just started Couch ---> 5k "training" yesterday...so far, so good! But I just don't know much about running and would like to avoid any common mistakes that may cause injury.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips for this newbie! :D

I stretch about 10 min before and 10 min after, and plan on doing couch to 5k 3x/week, as the plan goes.

Any other tips for becoming a successful runner...I would really appreciate it!!! I weigh 226 now so I'm starting off slow...

Guest Tianzi

Hi Julia!

I'm fairly a newbie at running myself. I've been running for 8 months (Wow, I must be tired Hee! Hee!) Seriously....Stretching is important, and doing what you can do, try not to show out and listen to your body. I'm lucky that I didn't have major pain, the side of one of my knees bothered me a while, but I ran through it and I had a problem with catches in my side. I was told all kinds of methods to prevent it, what helped was run through it and eventually my body was used to the running. My sister had problems with her hip flexor and a couple other ladies I started running with had ankle problems. I think it's best not to rush through, stretch and do what you can.

It's very good for you to run and congrats on the decision to adventure into the sport. be proud of yourself that you can run at all!!!:work_out:

I've talked to several exercise physiologists, sports therapists (for The Dallas Cowboys) who came to talk to our running club and Drs. at The Cooper Institute for Aerobics who say that actually there is no research that shows stretching is beneficial and can create injuries. Definitely don't stretch when muscles are cold. Their advice is warm up and cool down and take joints through a full range of motion. Runners World magazine has run articles on this also. (Although they'll put completely contradictory information in a single issue). I don't stretch anymore, but I do have exercises that take my joints through a full range of motion.

Dianne<br />Lifetime!

Guest 1texasmom

I only stretch after a run, when my muscles are warm. But even then they are slow easy stretches.

My biggest tip is shoes. Get some that fit and are made for the needs of your feet. Go somewhere and be fitted by an expert. They should do some tests and make recommendations based on your arch and your pronation as well as your size and the type of running you plan on doing. If you have a running store in your area, I'd recommend giong there.