Health Discovery Network
ChristineP

Core Tamale Pie: Tried

Hello all,

I posted this in the Core Ground Beef thread, but I thought that it deserved its own thread! This was yummy! Totally Core, and could be very versatile, if you ask me. You could spice this in different ways, and add different veggies to make it more Italian, or American. Definitely a keeper!

Enjoy!

Christine :D

Core Tamale Pie

1 c yellow corn meal

2-¼ c cold water with added chicken bouillon (I used 2 cubes, you could probably use stock instead)

1 lb. 93% lean ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

1 large green pepper, chopped

4 tsp canola oil

3 tsp chili powder

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tsp salt

Dash of pepper

1 (6 oz) can tomato paste

1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel (mexican diced tomatoes)

1 (16 oz) can whole no-sugar-added kernel corn (with juice)

1 (16 oz) can dark no-sugar-added red kidney beans

Preheat oven to 350*.

Combine cornmeal, water and chicken bouillon in a medium saucepan; whisk or stir constantly over medium heat until slightly thickened. Spread in a 9 X 13-inch baking pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, green pepper, and canola oil. Add chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper, and stir well. Add tomato paste, Ro-Tel, corn, and kidney beans, and mix well.

Spread mixture evenly over the cornmeal mixture and top with 1 cup shredded soy or FF cheddar cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Serves 8

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Christine,

This sounds yummy! I see that you add the corn juice, but do you drain the kidney beans or do you use that juice too?

Thanks!

Kim

Lifetime Member

SW 164

GW 139

CW 135

I made this and enjoyed it. Tasted great. One change I will make next time is to bake it for a few minuites with just the cornmeal crust, then add the rest and continue baking.

Guest colleen7

This was SO good! Had it for dinner last night. Very satisfying. A dollop of FF sour cream on top, a nice green salad with avacado and tomato - a PERFECT meal!

I took the advice of the previous poster and baked the cornmeal crust for about 10 mintues before adding the filling. Next time I'm going to try doing it as the recipe was originally written. I felt that the crust would've absorbed more of the flavors of the filling if it had not been baked first. I also think I will add a little chili powder or maybe some hot sauce to the crust next time. I think it was great as is, but could only be better with a little extra "kick"!

Guest BigRain

We had this for dinner 2 nights ago and for lunch yesterday. We loved it! Dishes like this make it soooo easy for DH to be Core and not even know it! Thanks for the wonderul dinner idea Christine!!

I am cooking this as I am typing. I have baked it at 350* for 25 min in my Pampered Chef 9x13". The crust is still gooey. What am I doing wrong? I have put it back in the oven for 25 more minutes.

xoxoxoxo

Sal :help:

~~IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE, YOU'LL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOTTEN~~

WE HAVE MORE POWER WITHIN US, THAN ANYONE ON THIS EARTH HAS OVER US!

Highest weight:202(1993)

Start weight #1:193.4(1996)

Start weight #2:169.6(2/00)

Goal:1/18/03(136 lbs)

Lifetime:3/1/03

CW:162.6

PG:128

Are you using a stone pan. They take longer to get hot. I don't really like my pampered chef stone pan. I have one my sister-in-law gave me from hartstone. I really love it. It can go in the dishwasher! Whereas the pampered chef one has to be seasoned and rinsed only with hot water. :ugh:

Momster :crazy:

This was very tasty. Here were my tweaks, mostly based on necessity:

1 small can diced green chilies in place of the green pepper

no chicken bouillon in the corn meal

rinsed black beans instead of kidney

no added salt

only 1 T oil instead of 4 t

I also wish I had added more garlic, the bites when I got a piece of garlic were the best.

Also, I had to use regular canned corn instead of no-sugar added. For those of you who might as well, know that my can had 7 points in it total, so I counted 1 point per serving (technically less than 1 point in 8 servings, but I want to be safe).

I have visions of an Italian Polenta Pie dancing in my head, with the Core Italian sausage recipe, Italian canned tomatoes, and maybe green beans and/or spinach.... I'll post it if I ever try it, but I'm going to be eating this for awhile.

Erin (Princess Dirty Bird)

Are the kidney beans drained?

Thanks,

Diane

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

DELICIOUS!!! My whole family enjoyed this recipe. I subbed black beans for the kidney beans and also used Trader Joe's Fire Roasted Corn instead of the canned corn. I also added some chilli powder to the crust. Next time i think i'll bake the crust for a few minutes first because it was a little mushy.

Jen

Made this last night...delicious! The crust was runny until it cooled. Once it cooled, the crust turned into the cornmealy crust I expected.

Will be making again and again! Not a quick dinner to make, but worth the effort.

OH! And I saved a little of the tamale mixture in the frying pan, added some water, and simmered a couple minutes to make a very yummy soup that was a great snack as the pie baked in the oven.

Lisa

Lifetimer since AUG-08-2006

Core since AUG-30-2006

-------------------

SW 204 (Feb-28-2006)

CW 174 (Jan-25-2007)

WWGW 179 (I'm 5'11")

-------------------

Has anybuddy made this and frozen it yet? How does it work out?

Original SW: 149

New SW (11/8/10): 138

CW: 132

GW: 125

:work_out:

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

Guest Lewis89

This sounds good....so BUMP! :)

I'm going to try it with the cornmeal on the top like a top crust and put cheese on top of that.....we'll see how it works!

Guest Starrbrite

I made this, but made it all wrong. I don't know why, but I ended up putting the cornmeal in with the rest of the ingredients. :bcb_huh:

(I'm a novice at cooking.)

Then I burned the entire pan because I forgot to stir the pot.bcb_sad

Anyway, my family ate it, but didn't say much. I thought it was a little bitter but I was told later that I shouldn't have stirred the burnt foods in with the rest of the stuff.

I'll try this again, the right way next time, because I thought it had promise.

Fixed this last night.

The "crust" was a little loose, but sure didn't hurt the taste :)

This was verrry yummy and will definitely be on our menu again.

Thanks for posting it.

Dawn

-------------------------------

Slow and Steady

weight.png

Started WW and Core 9/29/05

:bcb_march Re-committed 03/12/08

Guest jkmyles

Thank you very much for this recipe. I made this last night and my husband and I enjoyed it tremendously. I have already shared the recipe with fellow Core-rs!

Guest Starrbrite

I am getting better at cooking.

The first time I made this -- I think I was using another recipe, by the way -- I burned it.

This time I made this with ground turkey, left out the oil, and didn't burn it. (And if I had I have learned NOT to stir in the burned stuff with the rest of the food. :bcb_blush )

I also topped with a bit of ff sour cream and an olive. Cute.

It's good. I am also wondering if anyone has tried freezing it yet.

Thanks for the recipe.

Could someone try to figure out what the points would be for this recipe -- ao all of us on the flex plan would be all the wiser. Sounds wonderful!!

thanks

Judi

JUDI

4/07 - 8/08 HW - 304.4 LW - 205.6

restart 1/1/09

SW - 238

CW - 218

down 20 lbs!!!! :bcb_bigsm

total lost 86.4 lbs!!!!

I made this last night and it was pretty good. I kind of think Im going to leave out a few things, like the corn and kidney beans next time and add extra crust on top that way it really is like a tamale. My husband was crazy for it so was all my guest it wasnt till the end of the meal I anounced it was from core they were all suprized and said it doesnt seem like diet food, LOL. I just kept saying in my head it isnt a diet it is a way of eating better for me, but they just wouldnt understand:bcb_wink3 Thanks for the recipe it sure is going to be made in my house alot!

Till later....

t-253459449.jpgBut So Worth It!

Visit my site for motivation and friends that use W.W. to be the Biggest Loser!

http://fitsisters.spaces.live.com

s.w.=260lbs

rejoined W.W. 6/26/07 190.5 lb

c.w.=185 lbs

g.w.=130 lbs

Made this, this past week. It was really good. In fact, I've been having it for lunch during the week. The only thing I would do the next time is add some seasoning to the cornmeal. Maybe some garlic and chili powder. I'd have to experiment.

176.2/125/ww141/mine125<br />Maintaining my goal since 7/27/02 and forever!!!!!!!

I tried this and it was great, My husbands favorite meal is tamale pie and he loved it, Kids thought it was a bit too spicy but we loved it, next time I will use the tomatoes without the chilis. thanks so much for the recipe