Health Discovery Network
ChristineP

Homemade Turkey Italian Sausage: Tried

Hello all,

I decided to try this one today, although I have never made anything resembling sausage before. :) It turned out really well, though I may "up" the spices next time ~ because our taste is a little spicier. You do need to have a rather extensive spice cabinet ~ I did not have anise seed, crushed fennel seed or coriander, but they came out fine.

I shaped it into 8 patties, and cooked it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. They will be easy to reheat and have for breakfast this week. A little extra shot of protein in the morning.

Enjoy!

Christine :D

Homemade Turkey Italian Sausage

1 pound ground turkey, cold

2 drops liquid smoke

2 teaspoons salt

1-1/4 teaspoons dried sage leaves

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon poultry seasonings

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/8 teaspoon anise seed, crushed

1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

pinch coriander

Thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Based on recipe usage, form into patties or links.

Cover and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to permeate.

Proceed with preparation according to intended recipe usage.

Yield: 1 pound

Source: National Turkey Federation

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Guest LindaWing

Thanks again Christine. You are just a recipe machine this morning! I was thinking that we had to use turkey breat for sausage, but I just looked in the book and I guess any ground turkey is CORE? Seems like some ground turkey has an awful lot of fat grams????? This would be great, as I love Italian sausage and can only find 1 ready made kind I will even consider counting points which is Isernio's Chicken Italian sausage @ 1 point ea. It is made in Seattle and may not be widely available. But it is hard to catch it!

Guest Robinbirdco

Another favorite. Family voted this one a 4 star must repeat! I served it with pinto beans and brown rice that I made in the crock pot with cut up onion and garlic. Yummy combo!! :bcb_up

This sounds yummy! I think Penzey's spice makes their own pre-mixed breakfast sausage seasoning, maybe a little easier then having all the seperate spices.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysbreakfast.html

-Emily in CT

"I thought it would be all about the food, the points, the scale......and it is....but it's not...not entirely what I thought." -myself :bcbkickbu

SW:279.6/CW:217/PGW:145

lbs lost so far.. 62.6