Health Discovery Network
ChristineP

Oatmeal Creme Brulee: Tried

Hi I am new to WW and decided to go with Core since I like South Beach and Core was pretty close with a few adjustments, which were actually a welcome change. I love getting to eat potatoes, and having a few points to play with during the week, I can go out to sushi without stress, I just stay within my points budget.

This recipe was the first I started with and it has become a staple in my diet in the morning. I make it up in muffin tins and keep in the fridge. I zap it for a few seconds in the microwave, and the enjoy a yummy treat with my coffee. I too am not wild about sweeteners or I replace half the Splenda with applesauce or crushed pineapple. I use cinnamon or all spice for extra flavor. Also, occasionally I replace the oatmeal with leftover cooked brown rice when I have it on hand. On top I put sliced apples, bananas or any fruit I have on hand with about 2tbsp of Splenda Brown Sugar. It is great.

Thanks for helping me get off to a good start. I am so glad I found this website

Sarah

PS I also wanted to say my two girls steal this from me often for a late night treat with a little low fat frozen yogurt. I am so glad I can have something healthy on hand like this for them to snack on, I was always having to buy "special" diet stuff on my low carb diet that I never felt good about them eating.

** Warning**

If your brown sugar comes out of the broiler and does not look melted, do not, repeat, do not touch it. :embarrass

Instant sugar melted to skin and 2nd degree burn on my finger. Yegads - what a stupid thing to do!

On the positive side - it tasted great and is almost a red light food for me :);) Ate 1/3 of the pan today.

We've all got burn stories! last year I placed my entire hand on a burner that I thought was not on. It had been put on sure simmer (my me!) I had unintentionally turned on the front burner instead of the back one..when I put my hand down..the burner lit up and yep...2nd & 3rd degree burns on my entire hand..and I couldn't cuss one word. First I was speachless..then I ran for the faucet but with a house full of children..I just had to say ouch..very loudly! my oldest saw my hand actually smoking from the singe..not a fond memory! healed perfectly though and now I place my tea kettle on a burner whenever I remove a pot..I will not repeat that dumb move:bcb_drill Hopefully your finger is recovered!

Be your own best friend every day.

Guest sodacracker

Icing,

oww! your expereince made me wince (and not being able to swear becasuse of the hme daycare - very hard for me :bcb_grin).

That burn was awhile ago and it did hea,l but to be honest I stopped the brown sugar and broil step after that burn.:bcb_wink3

Guest LostTeacher

two questions:

1. if you make it in muffin tins, can you just spray the tin and it turns out, or do you use the liners?

2. when it calls for quick oats, is that the same thing as uncooked plain oatmeal?

i really want to try this out, so i just wanted to double check.

LT

Guest sodacracker

I've never made it in muffin tins but I woudl spray them. You can use quick or old fashioned oats.

When I made this (I haven't for a while, but should) I made them in silicon muffin "tins" and yes you need to spray them first with nonstick spray. I don't know how it would be in metal muffin tins...it might be harder to get them out.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I made some last night using a non-stick muffin pan. I sprayed the heck out of the tins, and was able to get each one out pretty easily.

Also, I found that using a ladle helped get the "batter" in fairly easily.

Kate

I can do this...one pound at a time. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I tried this recipe last night and OMG, is it good!!!! And normally I don't really care for oatmeal, or at least the texture. It even smelled super yummy while it was baking.

I used regular eggs and brown sugar (that's all I had in the house) and made this recipe into 6 servings, for 5 points (I do Flex, but like to eat Core foods as much as possible). I added a splash of milk and reheated it for breakfast...SO GOOD! I will be making this recipe often, only using Egg Beaters and Splenda Brown Sugar to lower the points a bit.

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

I made this recipe and it was very good. We also made it with the pumpkin. Yum. Is it better with the quick oats? My son thought the texture was too chewy. We adults really liked it.:bcb_up

Guest kitchendiva

gotta tell you all...I made this yesterday morning and used sugar twin brown sugar for the topping and the after taste was horrible!! Guess it is the chemicals, so I scraped the top layer off and hope I can have it for breakfast for the rest of the week....perhaps with skim milk and SF maple syrup as some have suggested. My suggestion...stay away from sugar twin!!bcb_sad

This is by far my fav recipe on here! I made a batch last Sunday, split it into 8 individual servings and froze half of them. When I want some, I just take it out of the freezer and microwave for about a minute to a minute and a half. (I like it hot!) Delicious! :bcb_up

Kay :bcb_wink3

HW- 192

SW- 164 4-14-08

LW- 149 7-30-08

CW- 161.6

Personal Goal- 135

Good Afternoon.........

I'm thinking about trying this this week, and yes.......I do have brown sugar in the house. Unfortunately it is hard as a rock. Does anybody know How I can soften it ??? (Or do I have to buy another bag........which I rarely use )

As well, Those of you who baked this in a muffin tin, does this come out moist thereby being difficult to remove ? Or is it dryer in consistency like a muffin.

Thanks in advance

Karen

HERE WE GO AGAIN !! :bcbkickbu

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs

put it in a container with a piece of bread and cover it. The bread will go dry and the sugar will soften up. Good luck!! :)

SW 165

CW 140

reached goal and staying there!!

I read somewhere that you can nuke (for a little bit) brown sugar to soften it also I heard you can put a piece of bread in the bag and close up and let it sit to get soft - I have never tried these though. After I started writing this, I googled it and here's what I found:

http://tipnut.com/10-ways-to-soften-hard-brown-sugar/

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

I also wanted to say thank you for bumping this up. I tried this a long time ago and didn't really like it too much. I made it again this morning I think it is really good! I would like to make it in muffin tins too but I think it would stick to my plain aluminum tins. I may buy the silicone ones some time to try it in there.

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

Yeah, this is one of my favorites, too. Last week I woke up in the middle of the night and was hungry (much better idea just to tell myself to go back to sleep, but instead, I had some pretzels, and of course had to count points for them, since I'm on Core). This week, if that happens, I made OCB, and so I'll have it if I get the munchies. I don't like sweets in the morning, so I usually won't eat it for breakfast, but it's great to have for when you need "a little something" and want it to be Core. It lasts a long time in the fridge.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

This sounds fantastic! How long would I cook this in the muffin tins?

Becca

That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying.

Pregnant with Baby #3!!

Due February 2012

Absolutely delicious! Here's my recipe with points:

Oatmeal Creme Brulee

2c Quick Oats

1/4c white sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 1/3c 1% milk

1/3c Egg Beaters

2tsp vanilla extract

1/4c Brown Sugar Splenda

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch-square glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In large bowl, combine oats, granulated sugar and salt. Combine in milk, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Pour into greased (w/cooking spray) baking dish. Bake 40 minutes or until center jiggles slightly. Removed from oven to cooling rack.

Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top of oatmeal. Using back of spoon, gently spread sugar into a thin layer across entire surface of oatmeal. Return to oven; bake just until sugar melts, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set oven to broil. Broil 3 inches from heat until sugar bubbles and browns slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent burning. It may be necessary to turn baking dish). Cut into 8 pieces.

Serves 8

1 piece = 3 points

Becca

That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying.

Pregnant with Baby #3!!

Due February 2012

This sounds fantastic! How long would I cook this in the muffin tins?

Here's my recipe (I've made a few revisions) and I don't know if I already posted this in this thread and I'm too lazy to look:bcb_LOL:!

2 cups oats

2/3 c Splenda

1/4 t salt (optional)

3 c ff milk

2 eggs

2 t vanilla

1 t apple pie spice (I mix my own, google)

Mix everything together. Pour into nonstick sprayed silicone muffin "tin". Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. *** I have "speedbake" on my oven, which is similar to convection. Your oven might take longer. As with anything else in silicone bakeware, wait til it is cooled to remove it or it will be difficult to remove.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Where the recipe says "granulated sugar" - it means granulated splenda - right? To keep it as core as possible (+1 for the brown sugar)? Because 1/3c sugar is 5.5pts, and the brown sugar as listed 5.5 pts, making it about 2pts for 8 servings....

Also- can you use regular sugar (non granulated, not splenda)?

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs