Health Discovery Network
Guest CarefreeCas

-= Runner's Thread 1/09/2006 =-

Guest CarefreeCas

Hello Runners!

Tough week for me. First I hurt my knee by overdoing it (but luckily it fixed itself after a few days of rest) and now I have caught this annoying cold! Maybe I'm just trying to get all the icky stuff out of the way at the beginning of the year?

Got a new pair of running shoes for Christmas from the DBF -- Asics Nimbus VII. Absolutely love them!

So, question for everyone...

What are your favorite pair of running shoes?

cassie

I'm a total Gel Nimbus girl as well. I've tried almost every brand of neutral shoe, and this one is tops. Great cushioning, some light stability and good endurance.

This last week has been a good running week. Speed training went well, and long run really comfortable. Hopefully this week will go as well.

DIANE<br />"The race is not always won by the fastest runners, but sometimes by those who just keep on running."

Guest 1texasmom

I'm all off rhythm and can't seem to get my runs into a groove. I am struggeling just to finish. I've gone down to 3x a week, then I'm biking twice and walking twice with 3 nights of weights. I'm not sure what the problem is other than that my legs just feel weak. By the end of my run this weekend I was almost tripping over my own feet because I just couldn't pick them far enough off of the ground. I was sick for almost a month, maybe that period just made me weak???

Guest CarefreeCas

Texas - a month is quite a while to be sick. Seems it would take a *big* toll on the body. It seems you have been having some trouble since the marathon? It is my understanding that running a marathon really weakens the immune system.

One of the reasons I'm not quite sure about doing a marathon is that I am bit worried about what it will do to my body. I work out/run to be in better shape and better health, and I have read a lot about how your body has to recover after one. Anyone have any opinions/experiences on this?

cassie

Hi - I'm getting serious about running, so I'd like to post with you. I put my main 2006 events in my signature. Both are sprints, but I've never done multisport before.

Details :) - I run in Asics right now and they're OK, but I prefer my New Balance (can't remember the model). I tend to lurk and only post when I have something compelling ;) or original to say, but since I found this thread I hope to have more to contribute.

Jessica

SW 184.8 / CW 177.8 / GW 150

Dux femina facti = This woman is in charge

Proverbs 31:17

Hey Cassie,

I've done 5 marathons and 1 Ironman, and I can say that the best thing you can do after the race is take AT LEAST one week completely off. The only thing I do is long walks with my dog. The next week, depending on how you feel, work back up slowly. If you still feel tired/sluggish, take more time off. If you try to come back too soon, you'll burn out. Running a marathon is an accomplishment to be proud of, but you really have to learn to know your body- know when you need to take a break, and definately take lots of recovery time after. It does take a lot out of your body, but if you train properly, and take the time to recover, its an incredible experience.

Hope that helped.

TexasMom- being sick for that long is bound to take alot out of you. Just take it easy, and listen to your body. Have you gotten a physical with blood tests to see if there's something else going on? You might want to consider it if the feeling persists.

Take care everyone.

DIANE<br />"The race is not always won by the fastest runners, but sometimes by those who just keep on running."

Guest travelingop

Hi Everyone,

I want to thank you for your supportive emails on the last thread. This has been a tough time for me post marathon.

Completing a marathon is a big accomplish and I am so glad I did it. However, it has taken a great toll on my body. I went into the marathon with an injury, so I guess I have to expect some backlash.

I have only run 3 times in the last month and pretty much have given it up until I have surgery which is extremly difficult. I am going to try and get into the pool because even cross training hurts.

My other challenge is that I am on the road 90% of this month with work, so making workouts that much harder. I hate to say.. I feel like I've lost my edge and I am worried I won't get it back.

I was supposed to be running a 1/2 marathon this weekend, but that would be impossible at this point.

I feel a little sheepish even posting on this thread now.. because Im not running, but thought I would drop in and say hello. It sounds like a few of us are suffering from injuries and sickness.. I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully, we can all recover soon.

I will drop in again soon. Have a great weekend,

Elizabeth

Guest CarefreeCas

Went for a run last night after being sick (cold) for the

last couple of days. I must be well because it felt great.

It really surprised me -- I did 2m with each lap being .5.

I did a fartlek style run -- I was speeding up on the

downhill and uphill and slowing down on the flats. I then ran

another 1.5m at a fairly decent and steady clip.

Bought a new shirt... you might want to check out the site

as they have a reflective shirt for night time running as well.

Go to

http://onemoremile.net/

Elizabeth -- you'd better keep coming back and posting!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

cassie

Hi folks. Running this time of year is tough for me. I coach girls basketball and we are in the middle of playing 7 games in 15 days. Then we're off 3 days and we play 4 games in 9 days. So, with that going on at night in addition to practices on most of our off nights, I end up either running in the dark before school or running in the dark after practice. I've been getting out 2 nights a week and doing 1 day of elliptical. When the season is over I plan on bumping up to 3 days of running, 2 days weight lifting, and 1 or 2 days of elliptical(probably combined with weight days)

Do you prefer cold weather or warm weather for your runs?

I enjoy running in cold(20 - 40 degrees) more than running in hot weather(80+).

I just starting running on my treadmill and I don't know how to get past the "I can't breath stage." I've never been a runner, infact, I've never ran other than after my kids. :) I set the treadmill to one of the built in programs (it has 6). About 1/2 way through the program it bumps me up to a level of running. I can only last 2 minutes and then have to go to a fast walk. I really would like to be more of a runner, but I don't know how to get past the stage of really hard breathing. Can anyone give me helpful pointers on how to be a work up to be a runner?

Thank you so much!

:walking:

Original Weight: 240 in August 2002

Lowest: 129

Restarting program:

5'5

CW: 155 - 11/02/2011 :workout:

GW 135

I got turned on to a great website for running shoes - www.roadrunnersports.com. They have a great chart explaining what shoe is right for what foot type. It's awesome!

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

Meanie...What I did to start running was do a 20 minute workout where I would run 1 minute/walk 1 minute. When I could do that comfortably, I would walk 2 min/walk 1 min...I kept adding a minute to each running interval until I could go the whole 20 min.

Guest CarefreeCas

Blah! Today was speed workout day. I was excited because there was snow on the ground and no wind blowing -- and I hardly ever get to run in snow here. Unfortunately, there was also ice on the roads which meant no running. Guess I will have to wait until this afternoon after work. The snow will melt by then!!! :mad:

How's everyone?

cassie

Guest 1texasmom

Managed to run 4 miles last night. Planning on 5 for Thursday and 8 on Saturday for a LSR.

The first mile last night was a killer. It was cold and my knee was screaming. I'm not sure if it was related to the weather or what, but after a while I got warmed up and the rest was great. Ended up running negative splits.

The group is planning on speedwork at the track tonight. I'm considering that. I don't run fast at all and it's not a priority with me, but the extra movement and team spirit may do me good.

Guest travelingop

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in. I have been traveling quite a bit, so that's why I haven't been posting.

I do have some good news. I was able to walk on the treadmill today with a steep incline at a relatively fast past. Then I actually felt strong enough to try running despite my knee and you know what... I felt pretty good. I think the long warm up helped. So, hopefully this means I'm not a lost cause.

I do have a surgery date 2/21 which is great. So, hopefully I will be able to train for the San Diego Rock N' Roll in June.

It was the best workout I have had in months.. boy did it feel good. Its amazing how a year ago I couldn't run but 1 min on the treadmill and now I have a marathon under my belt and exercise is a part of my life.

I often get the question.. well.. how did you loose all that weight.. I tell them WW and exercise and honestly.. loosing weight isn't rocket science. Eat Right .. and exercise. However, I'm the first one to say..easier said then done..

Anways.. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm off to wine taste:)

elizabeth

Guest 1texasmom

After reading Hanna's thread on excercise this week, I really pushed myself. Not too much, just a bit more than what I'd been doing - intensity wise. It has paid off. For the first time in months I came home stinky and sweaty and now my muscles are sore. It's a good kind of sore and it feels wonderful.

I did spinning and abs this morning. Planning a LSR tomorrow.