WWCarol

Cook Once, Eat All Week: WW's Layered Mexican Chicken

Layered mexican chicken

POINTS® Value | 6

Servings | 12

Preparation Time | 20 min

Cooking Time | 30 min

Level of Difficulty | Moderate

This Mexican lasagna will last up to five days in the fridge. It's the perfect make-ahead meal to kick off our Cook Once, Eat All Week Series.

Ingredients

1 sprays olive oil cooking spray

2 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast

30 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained

3 cup fat-free sour cream

2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, or Mexican-style cheese blend [for CORE use FF cheese]

8 oz chopped green chilies, two 4-oz cans

2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp black pepper

12 medium corn tortilla, cut into 2-inch strips [for CORE, use your WAPs for the corn tortilla; one serving has one corn tortilla in it]

1 cup salsa, mild, medium or hot

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a lasagna pan with cooking spray.

Place chicken in medium saucepan and fill with enough cold water just to cover chicken. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes; drain. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.

Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add beans, sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheese, chilies, cumin, and pepper; mix well and set aside.

Arrange half of tortillas in bottom of prepared lasagna pan, overlapping pieces to cover surface. Top tortillas with half of chicken mixture, layer with remaining tortillas and then top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.

Bake until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve with salsa on the side.

Learn more about our Cook Once, Eat All Week Series.

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest ThinkingThin28

what is WAPS???

I made something similar this weekend that called for tortillas and I substituted a roll of poelnta and it was great! I just cut the roll in half to be sure I divided it evenly then thinly sliced it and put half in each layer.

Thinking~ I think she meant WPA--weekly points allowance.

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

Thanks for posting this, Carol.

I've had it in my mind for quite awhile to make thin layers of polenta, kind of like lasagne. When I try this recipe using the polenta this way, I'll post back here how it works!

Elle

Where do you get a roll of polenta? If it is prepared polenta is it core?

Sounds delicious.

Gail

I made something similar this weekend that called for tortillas and I substituted a roll of poelnta and it was great! I just cut the roll in half to be sure I divided it evenly then thinly sliced it and put half in each layer.

Thinking~ I think she meant WPA--weekly points allowance.

Polenta might be tough to locate but I think most grocery stores will have it. In the regular grocery store I have found it refrigerated in the produce section of all places! I usually get it at a little health food store and there it is with the rice and couscous. I got some at Whole Foods last week and I had to ask where it was, I think it was in the rice aisle there too. I think I am going make this over the weekend, I will let you know if I do!

Welcome to Bootcamp Gail! :welcome:

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

I'm going to try this with the polenta! :D :bcbsalute

Does anyone know if this freezes well? I've already had it 3 days in a row and I'm ready for a change, but I don't want to throw it away! It's too good!

132.6/125/123/120

SW/WWG/CW/PG

Made Lifetime 7/22/06

Guest THEWW GIRL

Ok what are WAPs

Guest Avarweth

I can't remember what WAP *stands for* but it's the 35 extra flex points that you can spend on anything - for people who follow CORE, it's any of the foods they eat that aren't on the CORE list.

Hope that helps... sorry I can't remember or find what the actual acronym stands for!

WAP= Weekly allowance Points

thats the 35 weekly points you get

SW - 260 1/31/06

CW - 201

GW - 147

Slowly but surely!

Does anyone know if this freezes well? I've already had it 3 days in a row and I'm ready for a change, but I don't want to throw it away! It's too good!

Yes, it does! :) It's a part of a WW's series, Cook Once--Eat All Week (or freeze it when you're sick of it...! ;) :kiss: )

I did a variation on this yesterday. We had it for dinner tonight. It was great! Since it iwas the first time I made it (and it is only DBF and I), I made a small version of it. I think I will double it next time.

1/2 lb chicken

2 tbs olive oil or healthy oil

1 packet taco seasoning

1 small onion

1 large tomato, diced

1 jalepeno, seeded and diced

1 cup medium salsa

3-4 oz ff cheese, divided 3 ways

4 reduced carb tortillas (at TJs, they are 1 pt each)

ff sour cream (or ff greek yogurt)

more salsa (if desired)

Cook the chicken in oil. Shred chicken with a fork. Add taco seasoning, onions, jalepenos (the more seeds you put in, the hotter it will be), tomatoes, some water, and the salsa to the pan. Layer a circular casserole dish with 1 tortila, 1/3 of the chicken and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat. Put ff cheese and some more tomatoes on top. Bake 350 for about 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Serve with salsa/sour cream on the side.

For me, it made 4 servings at 1 pt/serving.

Original SW: 149

New SW (11/8/10): 138

CW: 132

GW: 125

:work_out:

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

This looks really good!!!!

I may cut it in half and make it with homemade polenta to be all core. I bet it would be great!!!!!

kim....HW 189.0..SW 10/17/14 187.0 CW 185.0~GW 150

I think the polenta would work well and taste great! :D :bcbsalute