Health Discovery Network
babygirl93

Exercise equipment--your input!

Hello Everybuddy!

I am beginning to think about purchasing some small piece of equipment for my home. There are sooooo many advertised on TV and I am so skeptical and think that each one is a gimic and will not work. :ugh:

Would you please post the one that you bought and tell me if you're happy with it or disappointed? I would love to read what you all have and use, before I invest any money.

Thanks in advance!

Debbie

I couldn't do it without my BCB buddies! Thanks for being here 24/7/365! :salut

40 yrs & 5'9"

sw 268 01/01/05

cw

I use a Weslo treadmill (DL15) that I bought from Wal-Mart five years ago. It's a space saver, so it doesn't take up a lot of room. I haven't used it for five years. :D I have used it consistently over the last 6 months... The only complaint I have is that I sometimes hit the hood covering the engine with my foot.

I want another piece of equipment to break up my routine. I think it's important to have options to keep from getting bored.

Good luck!

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

I have a Reebok treadmill that I bought on clearance last year. I LOVE it. www.treadmilldoctor.com is a great site to look which treadmill, eliptical trainer, etc is the best quality for what you're willing to spend.

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

Hi there,

For weight training, I think the best "bang for your buck," are a Stability Ball ($25), a set of resistance bands ($15), and a set of dumbbells (pairs of 2, 3, 5, 8, and 10 lbs - 69 cents a pound, when on sale at Dick's). You can accomplish a lot with this basic equipment. A mat is nice, too, especially if you don't have a carpet to cushion your back. A basic bench is a plus, but you can actually use the Ball in lieu of a bench for most free weight exercises.

For cardio, it depends on how much room you have. I have an ancient Nordic Trak cross-country ski machine that actually can fold up, but in truth, I never do fold it up, since I use it daily. You can get a great cardio workout with just a step (either a Reebok-style, or other types, such as the one used in the FIRM workouts). Steps are lightweight and easy to store, when compared to a treadmill or elliptical. Much depends on the space you have, as well as how you like to exercise (with a video? As in following along with a step workout...or...on your own on a treadmill? (maybe while watching TV or listening to music)

If you have stairs in your house, you can even use those - do intervals of walking up and down. Do stairs for a minute, rest 30 seconds, do another interval, rest 30 seconds...etc. until you've accumulated 30 minutes. You don't even need to do them all at once ....10 minutes in the morning, 10 at lunch, 10 in the evening.

Good luck, and remember, you DON'T need to spend a lot of money to get a good workout...

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png