Health Discovery Network
Meaniejr

Help me to be a runner..........

I just started exercising on my treadmill and running part of the time. However, while running I don't know how to get past the "I can't breath stage." I've never been a runner, infact, I've never ran other than after my kids. :) I set the treadmill to one of the built in programs (it has 6). About 1/2 way through the program it bumps me up to a level of running. I can only last 2 minutes and then have to go to a fast walk. I really would like to be more of a runner, but I don't know how to get past the stage of really hard breathing. Can anyone give me helpful pointers on how to be a work up to be a runner? :help:

Thank you so much!

Original Weight: 240 in August 2002

Lowest: 129

Restarting program:

5'5

CW: 155 - 11/02/2011 :workout:

GW 135

Most programs recommend that you do interval training. Coolrunning.com has a great "couch to 5K" program that will take you from 0 to 3miles in about 2 months. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are a lot of other very good resources on this site. And if you go to www.roadrunnersports.com you can find what kind of shoe is right for you. Have fun running!

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

I too had a lot of trouble when I first started running on my treadmill. Now I can run for 45 minutes witout stoppping. I did not start out with one of the programmed runs because I knew it would only frustrate me when I couldn't keep up or complete it. I usually just do a manual run setting the pace myself. You can always do the programmed runs when you are more used to running.

First, of all it is vital that you are breathing properly. I use the 4-1 count method: breathe in through your nose for four steps, forcibly exhale through your mouth in one. I use this whether I am walking or running. It helps me to focus on my breathing technique rather than "How much longer?"

Second, start running at a comfortable pace for you. You may just need to jog for a few days at a slower pace. You can always increase the speed later and as your cardio endurance develops.

Third, set realistic mini goals throughout your run. In the beginning, I ran one minute by minute. For example, toward the end of the first minute, I would ask myself how I'm feeling (without stopping the treadmill). I checked my breathing to make sure I was still breathing correctly. Then I would decide whether or not I could do another minute. I did the this every minute when I began running, and I really surprised myself by just how long I could really go.

Lastly, each session try to increase your running time by one minute (or by whatever increment you think you can do). This really helped me to increase my endurance.

I hope this has helped. It's what worked for me.:)

Jenny

170.5 :sobbing: /167.5 :ugh: /135

Recommited 11/14/07

Fit and Healthy by May 2008!

exercise.png

Guest *~*Recommited2me*~*

Thank you for asking this and thanks for the answers - I too was curious.

I've got to agree with the coolrunning program. It's totally awesome. I weighed 240 pounds when I started (in October 2005) and couldn't run for more than a minute at a time. But that's okay, because I believe that the beginning of the program is "run 1 min., walk 90 sec" intervals. You're supposed to do it 3x/week, I averaged about once per week. Now I'm at 217 and I just ran 2 miles. I can't believe I'm 1 mile away from entering some races this spring. :jump_jack

Guest CarefreeCas

If you can't breathe, then slow down. That used to be a big problem for me as well, but I never thought I should just slow down.

From what I have read (ACE manual), you generally feel as if you cannot breathe because your body is not yet able to utilize enough oxygen at the pace you are going (it is not because you aren't sucking in enough air/oxygen). This means you are are no longer doing aerobic activity (not a good thing unless you are trying to train your anaerobic system for short duration activities).

The more you run, the move efficient your body becomes at using the oxygen so it should get better with time and training (i.e. you can go faster and still feel as though you can breathe). As far as breathing in a particular ratio, your mileage may vary. Some people swear by it, but I personally did not have a lot of luck with it. Training seem to be the key.

I would also suggest a heart rate monitor. I can now tell when I am running a bit too hard for a long distance even while not wearing it -- when I start having trouble breathing my heart rate is generally higher than it should be for a distance run.

Try doing one long distance run (whatever distance feels long to you without over doing it) a week at a slow pace. Also, speed work as mentioned above, once a week helps as well. The other miles you run should be run at an enjoyable pace.

Hope that helps!

cassie

Thank you so much for all your really helpful ideas. I definitely going to take a little more time and look through the coolrunning website. At a glance it seemed like a really great site.

I'm just going to stick with this, I know I can do (eventually). :) Even if it takes a while I will conquer running.

Thanks again!

Restarting program:

5'5

GW 135

Guest *~*Recommited2me*~*

Well, I started The Couch-to-5K Running Plan!!

I'm proud of myself. I almost quit too because sadly - running 1 min was kicking my butt. However, I found that during the walk time, I slowed it down a bit more than what I normally walk and it allowed me to keep up AND finish it!! This is a big accomplishment for me. I haven't ran since high school (16 years ago) and I have flat feet, I'm fat & I have a bad back & ankles so heck yeah - I'm claiming it and am proud!

Tomorrow I do another set. I'm not sure - we'll see but I might have to do week 1 two weeks because it's hard for me. Guess we'll find out after these next two sets.

Guest huckster42

ME TOO, I have never been a runner, and I'm in the National Guard.

But I need to get back in shape, I am a chair Borne Ranger.

So the more ideas I can get about treadmill running the better I'll be.

:exercise2 :walking: :bike:

Hey *~*Recommited2me*~*, good job!! I did it last night and I feel great. I can't wait to go home tonight and do it again!

Restarting program:

5'5

GW 135

How do you know what heart rate is appropriate. I know about the target HR, but have heard that if you exercise at too high an intesity you don't actually burn fat. I've been exercising regularly since January (45 min/day, 5x per day) and recently decided to try the interval training to up the intensity of my workouts, but I'm not sure how high a HR is too high to effectively aid my weight loss goals. I usually jog 30 -60 seconds and then walk 1-2 minutes until my heart rate comes back down. Does it matter if it gets above target HR if its only for a very short time?

ml5- I don't have the HR numbers in front of me (I *think* 60% of max HR=fat burning and 80% of max=cardio training), but wanted to point out something. Even if you go above the fat burning zone, you are still helping your weight loss goal in the long run. Slowly increasing your cardiovascular capacity/efficiency will enable you to exercise longer and harder, burning more calories overall. So don't be afraid to spend SOME time in that higher cardio training zone- it's ALL good. :)

Word to the beginning runners (I am pretty much a rookie myself): try a cadence to distract yourself. I tend to breathe in more of a 2-2 pattern, and one thing I would sing/chant over and over in my head while running is the A B C song. :embarrass It works no matter how slow you run, and it would sort of hypnotize me so I wasn't obsessing over how my legs hurt or whatever. It also helps prevent irregular, ragged breathing. Just a thought...

And for the record, I'm not a natural runner by ANY stretch of the imagination. I literally have never even placed in any race I've been in, going all the way back to the 50 yard dash in Kindergarten! LOL But any person with functional legs can run, so don't let your imperfections or insecurities stop you. :work_out: There's also a runner's thread under the exercise heading that you can check out for help and ideas, if you want. It's a big motivation for me to see how more advanced runners train, etc.

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

The trick is to stay in an aerobic state and not anaerobic state.

I finally bought a heart monitor -- it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Always the overachiever -- I was killing myself trying to run. What I learned was I was in such bad shape that I could get aerobic conditioning just wiping the counters in my kitchen.

The heart monitor has made all of my exercise productive and healthy and successful. For me, it takes a long time to build up to running.

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do.

The road to success runs uphill. Willie Davis

- Rebecca -

Lifetime - June 26, 2006

1 year, 8 months and no looking back

SW 143/GW 125/CW 120.5/PGW 114

What I learned was I was in such bad shape that I could get aerobic conditioning just wiping the counters in my kitchen.

LMAO, Victory! :p Isn't it such a kick to be human sometimes? I can totally relate to this.

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

I also endorse the cool running sites coach to 5K program. (I jogged 50 miles each of the last two weeks, and have jogged 2 half marathons this year.) I used it, and highly recommend it.