Health Discovery Network
Heidi1962

How do you cook bulgar??

:help: I know there are several threads around here on how to cook this stuff, but I can't seem to find any!

Who can help me??? I know it has to do with cooking it in the micro in a pyrex bowl but I can't remember!!

Please - I'd be grateful!!

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

This is from an old post from WWCarol

SS~I cook my bulgar in the microwave. I add 2 cups uncooked bulgar to 4 cups just-boiled water or broth for 15 minutes on "high" in an 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup. (It needs to be large and microwavable, so the roiling/boiling bulgar won't rise over the top). I also sometimes replace the broth with 1 cup of less of salsa for Mexican Bulgar~

I usually only make one serving at a time and do it just by soaking it overnight. But I'm lazy....:D

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Thanks, Joanne! That's the post I was looking for....

But how do you soak it overnight? That sounds like something even I can't screw up!

Heidi

I haven't done it for a while but when I was doing it a lot I always had it for breakfast. Check out this thread - Creamy Bulgur Breakfast But I don't see why it wouldn't work with broth or water.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

23_30_114.gifI've got it in the micro now for the 15 minutes so I can have it with my crockpot chicken, but I'll have to try it the other way next time!

Heidi

I quit cooking bulgur a long time ago. It just takes a couple of hours (or overnight) advance planning. I add 2 cups of boiling water to each cup of bulgur in a container and let it soak. I usually make what I think I will eat in a week and put it in the frig. Sometimes I even freeze it.

Peggy

215/155/160 <br />Start day 8/06/01<br />Achieved goal 4/22/02!

The best way I've found is to simmer it on the stove. It's 1 part bulgur to 2 parts water (like rice). A lot of people have luck just letting it sit and soak in but that doesn't work for me unless I do it overnight. When I cook it on low on the stove, I can use it that night for dinner.

As for recipes, I like it plain with some ICBINB spray and salt (or hot salt). I've also mixed in sauteed veggies so it's almost like a pilaf. Or sprinkle in some some RF cheese...it's so versatile.