Health Discovery Network
tara06

Food Item = 0 pts. can you have more than alloted amt. & still count as 0 pts.

I've noticed while doing the Flex Plan that you can have some items that are 0 points for a certain measurement or portion.

For example: 1 Tbsp. of Horseradish is 0 points. Does that mean if you have more than the amount it specifies for 0 points that you must count it. If so, how do you determine the amount of points for every amount you are over? Would you use your slider to figure it up? :crazy:

Guest Samantha1021

You have to figure out the point value if it is more than one serving using a point calculator. I remember when I first joined ww I thought I could eat unlimited 0 pt foods, and that is not true! Hope this helps.:)

For the veggies on the free veggie list, you can eat as much as you want and it's free. For other items like condiments, I think you'd also be safe.

But, for an item like SF Jello, 1 serving is 10 cals so that would be zero. But if you ate the whole box in one sitting, it would be 40 calories and no longer zero.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Yes- I eat tons of 0 pt veggies and condiments would also be free for quite a bit- because you are using such small amounts- even with a few servings- but things like ff cool whip 4 tbsp are 0 but the whole tub is 8 pts!!

Some people count 1/2 cup fibre 1 as 0 ( I count it as .5) but with things like that you only have to go over slightly and they are pts- but veggies- eat your heart out and horseradish- if you can take it- eat it

Good luck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

This is a gray area in the WW arena. My leader says zero is zero, because nobody ever got fat on broccoli/diet jello/ etc.. For me, it's volume driven--if the zero point serving is 1 cup, I go free for however much I have. On the other had, if the serving is 1 Tbls., then I would point it out on my slider.:bcbsalute

Em

SW 189.5

CW 173.2 Goal=155 (10% 159)

Lifetime 12/06 at 155#

"Never give up. . . and never surrender." Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart, Galaxy Quest

Just a thought on 0 point veggies.....I think digesting raw carrots and other 0 point veggies probably takes more energy to digest than the veggie would count on the amount you could (or would want to:D ) eat. I say enjoy those raw veggies!

veggies_thumb.gif

Juniper

"I finally decided I wanted dignity more than food". Frances Kuffel

What I do with my spare time!

Restarted 8/11/07 205 lbs

242/193/155

GW 155

Very interesting question...

Humm... with veggies I would say yes, anything else would made me too scarred to do that.

Lisa

This is part of my journey, glad to have you all with me, to keep me company along the ride...

For Christmas of 2004, my parents bought me pants that were a Size 18!

For this year they bought me Size 10!

Joined WW in Jan of 05 & made Lifetime in Aug of 05:strong: :) :D .

Guest cornflkgrl

my 2 cents:

I count some of my veggies with no sodium as 0 no matter how much I have

some of these are: cabbage (cooked or raw), brocholi, spinach (raw or cooked), celery, iceberg lettuce, and kale. I count carrots 0 points for 1/2 cup cooked and 1 point for a cup cooked. I count them as 1/2 point for 1/2 cup raw and 1 point for a cup raw. Carots have more calories than alot of the other veggies so I don't think anyone should be eating unlimited amounts of them, plus they don't have as much water as say, celery. I try to eat alot of the high-water veggies.

If something says 0 points for 1/2 cup and I want more, I get the calorie count/fiber/etc. for however much it is i want by looking on the back of the package and then figure it that way.

I try not to have anything be an "unlimited" food for me because that tends to encourage me to overeat and I find that if I keep my portions under control across the board there is less chance that I will go on a "bad food" binge. The last time I lost alot of weight it was by measuring everything and extreme portion control and in the beginning I was starving all the time because I was used to stuffing my face constantly but then over time as I lost weight the hunger stuff went away and it took less food to satisfy my appetite so, I think in a way your stomach kind of ajusts to less food over time if you control portions and it helps take care of hunger and aids in weight loss.