Health Discovery Network
modthyrth

Ugali and Chicken Stew (and other African dishes?)

My brother and sister in law met while in the Peace Corps in Kenya, and brought back a delicious native dish. I haven't made it for a while, but just realized how low in points it is! I make it all to taste, just eyeballing things, so my apologies for lack of specific ammounts.

Cut two chicken breasts into very tiny bite sized pieces. And I mean tiny. You're eating this with your fingers, and it really helps to have smaller than usual pieces.

Cook chicken in a large pot with a bit of olive oil, stirring, until nearly cooked through. Add some chopped onion and garlic part way through so they get nicely sauteed at the same time.

Add 1/2 a cabbage, cut into small pieces.

Add one or two tomatos, cut into small pieces

add about 1/4 c lemon juice (more or less to your taste)

add about a cup of ff chicken or vegetable broth, or just water if that's all you have on hand.

add about 1T of garam masala seasoning

add salt and pepper to taste

Let it all bubble and boil until the veggies get nice and cooked through and it's all incorporated and more stew-like. Add a bit of cornstarch if you want it to be thicker.

At the same time as the stew is cooking, make your Ugali.

boil a small ammount of water (1 1/4 cups or so) in a saucepan. Once the water is boiling, slowly pour in white cornmeal, constantly stirring, until you have very thick white mush. I call it "mush" for lack of a better term, but you want it to be pretty darn thick. It needs to be about the consistancy of play dough, because this is going to be your starch AND eating utensil. About 1/4 c of the cornmeal makes about a cup of the ugali, and is only 2 points.

Now, to eat it! Put a cup of ugali on your plate. Put a cup of the chicken stew next to it (not on top!). Pinch off a glob of the ugali with your hands. Mush it a bit, and create a kind of dish shape out of your ugali. Scoop some chicken stew into your ugali dish, and eat! mmmm.

According to my calculations, two cups of the stew is 5 points, and the ugali is only 2 points per cup. This makes for a *very* filling, stick-to-the-ribs, delicious, generous meal.

I adore Ethiopian food as well, but have never tried cooking any of it. Anyone have any other African recipes to share?

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

Guest sodacracker

Thanks for that recipe. My son had a daycare friend whose mom sent in that recipe for ugali when the kids were making a simple cookbook of things they liked to eat.

Bumping for dinner sometime this week

Started WW: 4/13/06

PeakW: 196

SW: 191.6

CW: 175.8

WWGW: 141.2

PGW: 125-130

1st 10 lbs: 5/18

Total lost since April 13: 15.8 lbs!

Can you get the garam masala seasoning at the regular grocery store or at a specialty store? I've never heard of this seasoning before. What kind of taste does it have...spicy, sweet, etc.?

Becca

That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying.

Pregnant with Baby #3!!

Due February 2012

Can you get the garam masala seasoning at the regular grocery store or at a specialty store? I've never heard of this seasoning before. What kind of taste does it have...spicy, sweet, etc.?

Here is a recipe for garam masala. It is not hot spicy but is a lovely, full bodied blend:

Garam-masala

3 tablespoons coriander seeds

3 tablespoons cumin seeds

1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns

1 teaspoon cardamon seeds

1 3-inch stick cinnamon

4-6 whole cloves

Grind them in coffee grinder or blender

marge

there s a dance in the old dame yet toujours gai toujours gai

SW: 206

CW: 162.5

40# 2/5

HW: 146

weight.png

Thank you!!

Becca

That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying.

Pregnant with Baby #3!!

Due February 2012