Health Discovery Network
MRSchultz

The Firm eating plan?

I KNOW all of you are dedicated to WW, but here's the deal.........

I've been eating VERY clean and doing The Firm for a couple of weeks now with a little loss in inches, but a gain on the scale. I've done WW for many years and needed a break from Flex so I switched to Core, well........something must not be quite right because I'm gaining and not losing. I was wondering if I should take a break and try the eating plan that came with my TransFIRMer or maybe go back to Flex.

Any thoughts? Anybody have any results from The Firm's eating plan?

Thanks,

Marcia.

187(start)/187(now)/150WW/135P<br /><br />Be Smart, Do It For YOURSELF!

I do Flex and make sure I get plenty of lean protein and a good percentage of healthy fats. I always eat my APs and some of my WPAs. I have not tried the FIRM eating plan. Maybe you could figure up the points for the FIRM plan and just use it as a guide for eating within WW making sure you're still getting your 8 healthy guidelines. I remember thinking there wasn't enough dairy or healthy fat in the FIRM plan, but I haven't looked at it for a while since WW works for me. Some people do gain when they start FIRMing as the muscle starts to build and retain water for repair. But if you're doing Core, it may be hard to say if you're eating too much or not enough to fuel your workout. It may take more than a couple weeks to see results.

This is JMO, but BCB is for WW. I wouldn't try another program.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I joined the little club for 30 free days on the Firm website, and I was looking at the FAQ. Apparently, it is quite common for people to gain at first, but you should expect a loss if you keep it up. I think it said you should start to see losses after a few weeks, longer for some body types.

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

From what I remember from my 30 day trial, the FIRM eating plan isn't necessarily designed to help you lose weight. Some people are TRYING to gain. If you want to try it, you could take the menus as a guide, and modify the portions and meals as needed to fit your WW Points (including APs and most Flex Points).

The FIRM eating plan is also designed with built in "cheat days" which we don't do on BCB in any case, but they must have to do that once in a while because the food list for so-called "clean eating" is so restrictive. I remember looking it over and going straight back to WW where I eat pretty "clean" most of the time and my "cheat foods" (if you must call them that) get spread out more.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Personally, I didn't even give the FIRM eating plan a look since I'm doing WW. To me, it just gets too confusing when you try to blend this program with that program and this program.....

WW works for me, so I'm sticking with it! thumbsup.gif

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

Uh...I read it...too many "eat this on this day" stuff for me. I love my WW!

Just for kicks, you could point out a day's menu and see what you get. If it's within you points limits, you could try it!

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

This is from the FAQ part of The Firm Beliver's Club:

"When will I see changes?"

From 1-8 weeks:

Look to feel better and have more energy.

From 2-6 months:

Lose size and inches while becoming leaner. Clothes begin to fit more loosely. You are gaining muscle and losing fat.

From 6+ months:

Start losing weight quite rapidly.

Well I can tell you once I hit that 6 month mark, or just shortly after it was very true, everything really started to fall into place. So for all you newbies this is a good guideline, not exact for everyone but a good one and be patient, you are on your way!

Brooke ~ HW: 217.0 ~ SW: 211.6 (10/24/09)~ CW: 208.2 (as of 12/12/09) ~ WWGW: 155 ~ PGW: 145

I am not a newbie, but that's really helpful Brooke! It made my day. I have this mindset that if I stay POP and do my workouts the weight will just drop off in the first week. I guess I just need to give it time. I am within the "normal" range!

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

I am really glad I found this too, since I am a newbie, I now realize what I can realistically expect from the Firm, and when.

I did the Firm's 14-day-diet last spring and summer. Not the same foods every day of course. After the 14 days, I just ate similar meals patterned after the same formula.

The calorie level they recommend for WEIGHT LOSS is whichever one is closest to your weight x 10 in calories. At the time, my weight was around 200 so I ate about 2000 calories a day. I used their 1800 meal plan and added one more 200 calorie snack. For maintaining your weight, they recommend 12 x your weight.

The 10x your weight formula may not work for everyone - but for those who Firm 5x a week or so, it is designed to provide the calories, protein (around 100 gms/day), and fat needed to build lean muscle and still burn fat.

I was thoroughly pleased with it and saw great results from it (inches and pounds). It made a nice change for me and I will return to it again in the next month or two.

I haven't tried the meal plan that came with the Transfirmer yet. It has a few more processed foods in it and I'm definitely more a clean eating believer.

For me, it was not a big calorie difference eating the Firm's 14 day diet versus eating all my APs, Flex points, and Targets. It was only about 100-150 calories more each day and it didn't seem to affect my weight loss rate. I was already eating all my points, so the 14DD just cleaned up my eating a bit honestly. And it gave me a good pattern for my meals to keep me from ever getting too hungry - breakfast, small snack, lunch, snack, dinner, small snack.

I did lots of swapping on it. They give you a sub list for things you want to swap out so it makes it easy to modify.

If you'd like to try it, you could always incorporate the foods from it into the Flex plan. You might be over by 1-3 points a day but you could decide what to do with that.

But seeing a slight scale gain in the first few weeks of Firming is not unusual at all. I always say it takes a leap of faith to Firm or strength train in any form. It's not instant results by any means but you are building a "Firm" foundation for future weight loss. That's why the timetable that was posted here (When will I see results) works - you build up your muscle mass more in the beginning so the scale doesn't look as good. Honestly my weight loss never stopped altogether - just slowed to .5-1.0 lb a week. Once I passed the 6 month mark, it really did speed up though.

Best wishes with whatever you decide! :)

:work_out: WW & The Firm & Runner

Losing weight to run...not the other way around.

219pp/188/125

Did you guys order the Firm exercise DVD online??

Start Date: Feb 2/06

HT: 5'11", size 14/15

SW: 210 lbs /CW: 197.5 lbs/GW: 165lbs

WI: Thursday's

If you don't do what's best for your body, you're the one who comes up on the short end. :exercise: :jump_jack :headover: