Health Discovery Network
Guest msbubleeee

suggestion for oils

Guest msbubleeee

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how they get their oils in. I have been trying to use olive oil with cooking to get mine in, but hate to use the points as it adds up quickly. I would appreciate any suggestions. Do people use supplements?

Michelle

I have a question as well, we need 2 tsps. of one of the healthy oils everyday, correct?

I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!

2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

Yes, having 2 teaspoons of one of the healthy oils (olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, or flaxseed) each day is one of the 8 healthy guidelines.

It's only 2 points and well worth it. Our bodies do need some fats.

I use mine in cooking or to pop popcorn. I use it to roast or sautee veggies as well. I have found some wonderful infused olive and canola oils that add a great deal of flavor to foods.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest msbubleeee

Thank you joanne:)

Michelle

Thanks, I'm going to start using them now that Im on Maint. :odear: I know I should have been using them all along... but if I have the extra points now..

I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!

2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

Guest killingjanni

I just mix a tsp in with whatever meal I'm eating. For example, if I'm having a Lean Cusine, pasta, rice.. anything with a sauce. I don't really notice it.

I have started using grapeseed oil as well ~ it has a light flavor and is actually good for bringing down cholesteral. I use it for the same kinda thing ~ sauces, ect. It is very good for us to get healthy oils in.

MrSD

I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174

current weight 161

recommittment loss 3 pounds

It was suggested at my meeting last week to use olive oil on a baked potato in leiu of other toppings. I tried it with a little seasoning and it was great.

Sandy

Joined WW 02/02/02

Lifetime 04/05/03

sw 165.4 cw 165.4 gw ??

Little by little, one travels far.....J.R.R. Tolkien

Guest rachser

My WW leader has used it in her yogurt and oatmeal (she uses canola oil). She claims that it actually made her oatmeal creamier.

You can make a really delicious salad dressing with:

1/4 c olive oil (or other healthy oil)

2 T brown sugar splenda

1t sesame oil (optional)

2T rice vinegar

1T soy sauce

It's *fabulous* with nice greens and some grilled chicken breast. It makes a nice marinade for the chicken as well.

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

Guest msbubleeee

Thanks everyone for all these great ideas:)

Michelle

It's only 2 points a day. You need the oil for certain vitamins to be absorbed, for healthy skin and hair. It is one of the WW requirements for good health. I'm always amazed at how people balk at using 2 points for oil but think nothing of using 2 points for a 100-calorie pack of cookies.

Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

I'm always amazed at how people balk at using 2 points for oil but think nothing of using 2 points for a 100-calorie pack of cookies.

That's so true! I was just reading a blurb last night in Prevention magazine that a university study just determined that adding healthy fat to our diets can help with weight loss. I don't have the magazine with me, but I think this may be the study:

http://record.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/5321.html

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest msbubleeee
I'm always amazed at how people balk at using 2 points for oil but think nothing of using 2 points for a 100-calorie pack of cookies.

I wasnt necessarily balking as you say I was looking for suggestions on how people get there oil requirments in..... Thanks to all that gave suggestions

I don't think she meant you specifically. It is common at meetings to just have people skipping the oil because they don't feel like it....

My friend even told me, "Well, I eat butter so I'm getting enough fat." I told her butter didn't count.:ugh:

I stir mine into my hot chocolate, makes it so yummy. I also make popcorn. 2 tsp of canola oil and 3T of kernels on the stove. It's the best snack. I can't even eat that diet popcorn anymore!

And not totally off subject...I found that concentrating on getting in my 8 healthy guidelines, something I'd refused to do for years, has made a huge positive impact on my life...really.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Not just because I am Italian, but I think that extra vergin olive oil gives to food a really special taste that nothing else can beat. I actually buy mine from a producer located in Liguria (region North West of Italy), it is a little bit more expensive than the one you buy at the grocery store, but it is definitely worth, a tbs goes a long way.

I used to buy from an importer even when I was in the US..

If you want to know more, the importer website is www.oliocarli.com.

ciao

Teresa

sw kg 94.80 (208.8 lb) cw Kg 66.8 (147 lb)

1st gw: kg 83.00 (183 lb) 22 DEC 04:goal:

2nd gw:kg 75.00 (165.2) 30 MAY 05 :goal:

3rd gw: kg 70.30 (155 lbs) nov 06:goal:

4th gw: kg 67.50 (148.5 lbs) dec 06:goal:

last gw: kg 60.00 (132 lb)

" Non mollare l'osso"

Guest msbubleeee

Amy- Really hot cocoa. I wouldve never thought to do that I will try it. 2 tsp of oil and 3 Tbsp of kernals would be ? pts if you dont mind me asking. I have been on weight watchers just 3 weeks so really am in a learning process here..lol when I first started this thread I was thinking 2 serving of oil/day and that would be 2 tbsp at 4 pts X2 ..lol no wonder pts were adding up....ooops:embarrass

teresa- I too love olive oil. Thanks

Michelle

That's why we're here! In the beginning you just have a lot of stuff to learn.

The points for the popcorn is 3. Sometimes I spray the popped corn with Pam and put on powdered cheese. Quite good!

The hot cocoa was a last minute "gotta get the oils in" concoction.:o I know some people who just drink them...:ugh:

Amy-SAHM of 4

Guest msbubleeee

The popcorn sounds wonderful, may try that today...lol Thanks for your suggestions It helps a lot...:)

Guest WrappinMama

Just curious.. does PAM count as a healthy oil? I noticed the first 3 ingredients are Canola, Sunflower, and Soybean oils.

My fave right now though is Sesame, yum!

I don't think so. Only because you don't really know how much of each is in it. And how do you get the whole tsp?

Amy-SAHM of 4

Guest WrappinMama

Thats what I thought too.. but I know I use more than 2 tsp lol. I use it on my popcorn at night but I also use 2 tsp Sesame Oil during the day anyway.

Doesn't hurt to ask right?

Two points can also be a big bowl of oatmeal or vegetarian chili or a gardenburger on a whole wheat bun or some tuna. The list is endless!

I know for me, having been on my first diet at 8 years old, that some old misnomers are hard to get over. Eating "fat" is one of them. I get in my healthy oils because I trust WW, but still there are times when I think for the points in that itty bitty portion of oil, I could eat a lot of healthy food!

I don't have any really exciting or different suggestions. I usually use mine for oven roasted vegetables or a stir fry. Sometimes I will add flax oil to a smoothie.

I agree with you Amy, that following the 8 healthy guidelines has made a huge difference in how I feel.