Health Discovery Network
Guest stacyloveslife

Ways I've found to eat a lot with few points

Guest stacyloveslife

I just started WW 5 weeks ago and like the program. I've found a few snacks that I wanted to share.

CHIPS - Soy crisps (ranch, BBQ, cheddar cheese, nacho cheese) - tastes like a potato chip. The BBQ is wonderful. These are low in points, depending on the brand, and are really good. If you like chips and the crunchiness, you'll love these. And they also have apple cinnamon and my favorite, caramel corn.

CALCIUM - And I've found the best way to get half my calcium with 0 points is to take a VIACTIV calcium chew. Each chew has 50% of your calcium and is 0 POINTS! They come in chocolate and caramel; I've tried the chocolate and it tastes kinda like a tootsie roll. I've heard that the caramel is really good, too. They come in a purple container in the pharmacy section. Make sure you get the calcium chew and not the multivitamin chew that has less calcium. You get 60 for less than $7.

CHOCOLATE - The best way to cure a chocolate craving that will fill you up for only 1 point is the Yoohoo Lite. It's a chocolate drink that is a pretty big bottle for only 1 point!

I hope this helps someone. If anyone has a great way to season steamed veggies, I'm looking for ideas. Thanks.

Guest AKateisaKate

Wow, I've never heard of those Soy Crisps before. All I've had are the little rice things: Pretzel Crunch, Rich Coffee, Cookie Dough, and Cinna Swirl. Definitely good. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to try Yoohho Lite.

Guest stacyloveslife

I'm addicted to the BBQ Soy Crisps. I have a turkey sandwich for 2-3 points and a bag of Soy Crisps for usually 2 points, and it's a great lunch.

Guest stacyloveslife

Yoohoo Lite is really good. I just wish I could find 0 point hot chocolate that tastes good.

Hey guys! My name is Barb and I'm new also. Tonight was my third weigh in (lost 1.6 lbs) for a total of 9.4 lbs. I'm proud of that since portion control and will power are my huge downfalls. I need some good ideas for dinners. This past week I ate a lean cuisine or a ww frozen meal each night and I am concerned about the increased sodium content I may be getting. I've got two young daughters (single mom) who are picky eaters so I need something easy to make since I am usually cooking something different for them. :wave:

Barb :wave:

Start date: 1/31/06

Start weight: 179.6

Current weight as of 9/12/06: 146.2

Goal weight: 145

33.8 lbs gone!!!:jump_jack

1.2 to go!!!:workout:

Guest GiveMeStrength

Barb:

I make pita pizzas. I take a whole wheat pita, add some sauce and low fat mozzerella. I spray a non stick pan with cooking spray and fry up some diced turkey bacon. I also do the same with vegetable like peppers. I add the bacon and vegetables on top of the cheese. I sometimes drizzle some olive oil on top. I cook it @ 400 for about 10 minutes then usually broil the top for a few more minutes as the bottom usually cooks faster than the top.

Guest stacyloveslife

I've got a great list of crock-pot recipes that you can throw it all in the morning and by the time you get home, it'll be done. Email me @ stacyloveslife@aol.com for the cookbook. I have the points on almost all of the recipes. There are some really good ones in there. Also, the South Beach Diet has a sandwich kit that's 5 points if you get caught needing a quick meal. There's a turkey wrap and a chicken caesar wrap with a SF Jello in each one for $3.

Also, I've been baking French Fries, and grilling a lot of chicken. Here's a few recipes that I like, too.

Low Fat KFC COLE SLAW

It doesn't get much easier than this. If you like the taste of KFC Cole Slaw, but don't like the 10.5 grams of fat per 3/4 cup serving, you're going to love this recipe. Using fat free Miracle Whip and sugar you can make a guiltless dressing to recreate the he taste of the world's most famous cole slaw. The most work you'll do on this one is chopping the cabbage, carrot and onion into tiny, rice-size bits. That's an important step, if you want the texture of the original. Plus, the chopping action may help burn off what little calories you consume eating this original.

1 cup fat free Miracle Whip

1/4 cup sugar

8 cups cabbage, finely minced

1/4 cup carrot, shredded then minced

2 tablespoons minced onion

Combine Miracle Whip with sugar in a large bowl. Mix well with electric beater until sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, carrot, and onion, and toss well. Be sure cabbage and carrot are chopped into very small pieces, about the size of rice. Cover and chill for at least two hours before serving. Serves 8.

Spicy BBQ Meatballs

1 1/2 pound lean ground turkey

1 cup uncooked quick oats

2 medium egg white(s)

1 large onion(s), finely chopped

1 medium garlic clove(s), chopped

1/4 cup parsley, chopped

1 tsp dried oregano

1 1/2 tsp beef bouillon granules

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I used spaghetti sauce and made Meatball subs)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Combine all ingredients, except barbecue sauce, in a medium-size bowl; mix well.Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape meatball mixture into sixty 1-inch balls; place on baking sheet. Bake at 350ºF until cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a chafing dish or crockpot to keep warm. Meanwhile, heat barbecue sauce over medium-high heat until hot. Pour sauce over cooked meatballs, toss gently and serve. Yields 2 meatballs per serving.

Enchilada Lovers Casserole

Serves – 8 Points - 5

Ingredients:

1 cup salsa

10 oz. bag Light Tostitos tortilla chips

5 oz. can evaporated milk

4 oz. can chopped green chilies

10 1/2 oz. can reduced fat cream of chicken soup

10 oz. pkg. Lite Velveeta cheese

12 1/2 oz. can cooked chicken breast

Directions:

Combine salsa, milk, chilies, soup, cheese and chicken in saucepan. Heat until cheese is melted. Fill a 9x13 casserole with tortilla chips. Pour sauce over chips and bake in 350 degree oven until bubbly, about 20 minutes.

Nutrition Information:

255 cal., 5.4 g. fat, 1.5 g. fiber

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

Serves – 6 Points - 4

Ingredients:

1 10 oz. can chicken breast, drained

1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup

1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup

1 can Rotel tomatoes

8 corn tortillas, cut into fourths

1 cup fat free shredded cheddar

1 small onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup celery, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Saute onion, garlic and celery in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray until tender. Add soups, Rotel tomatoes and chicken; heat and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Layer 1/2 of tortillas in bottom of dish. Pour 1/2 of soup mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle 1/2 of shredded cheese over soup mixture. Repeat layers ending with cheese. Cover with foil.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and cook additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Information:

205 cal., 2.4 g. fat, 2.5 g. fiber

Stove Top Meatloaf Muffins

Serves – 12 Points - 2

Ingredients:

1 lb extra lean ground beef

1 box Stove Top stuffing mix

1 cup water

2 egg whites

Directions:

Mix together and divide into 12 muffin cups that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Serve with ketchup on top, if desired.

Nutrition Information:

103 Cal., 1.8 g. fat, 0 g. fiber

Taco Bake

Serves – 8 Points - 5

Ingredients:

1 lb. very lean 96% ground beef or 12 oz. Boca crumbles

1/2 cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced red or green pepper

1 8 oz. package Reduced Fat crescent rolls

1 can pinto beans with or without jalapenos, drained

1 packet taco seasoning

2 - 8 oz. cans tomato sauce

1 cup fat free cheddar cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Brown beef, onion and pepper, drain. Spray 9" X 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Unroll crescent rolls (they will fit right inside pan). Pinch together to make crust. Bake for 6 minutes. Add tomato sauce, beans and taco seasoning to beef; mix thoroughly. Top crust with meat mixture and bake an additional 10 minutes. Top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Nutrition Information:

Made with Beef - 268 Cal., 7 g. fat, 3.5 g. fiber

Made with Boca - 249 Cal., 5.3 g. fat, 5.8 g. fiber

Best Crab Cakes

Serves – 1 Points - 5

6 oz canned crabmeat, drained

1 tsp mustard

1 egg white

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp minced onion

1/8 cup dried bread crumbs

Combine all ingredients until well blended. Coat non-stick fry pan with cooking spray. Shape into 2 crab cakes and cook over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Servings – 40 Points - 1

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. honey

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup raisins

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the flour, oats, sugar and baking soda; stir to mix well. Add applesauce, honey, vanilla extract, and raisins, stirring well to mix. (If dough seems crumbly, keep stirring until it holds together.) Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough onto the sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Slightly flatten each cookie with the tip of a spoon. Bake for about 9 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for 1 minute. Then transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container in single layers, separated by sheets of waxed paper.

Nutrition Information:

48 Cal., 0.3 g. fat, 1 g. fiber

Homemade Ranch Dressing

Serves - 16 (2 Tbsp. each) Points - 1

1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch original dressing mix

1 cup low fat buttermilk

1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt

1/2 cup reduced calorie (not fat free) mayonaisse

Blend all ingredients and chill for at least 1/2 hour.

30 Cal., 2 g fat, 0 g fiber

Variations:

Add 1 Tbsp. blue cheese for blue cheese dressing.

Add cayenne pepper for a great dipping sauce for buffalo style chicken.

Add dill or chives for a great potato topping.

Add horseradish for a creamy sauce to accompany meat.

Spinach Dip

Serves - 12 (1/4 cup each) Points - 1

Ingredients:

10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

16 oz. fat free sour cream

1 pkg. Knorr Vegetable recipe mix *

8 oz. can water chestnuts, drained and chopped

3 green onions, chopped

Directions:

Combine sour cream and Knorr recipe mix. Fold in water chestnuts and green onions. Add spinach and stir well to mix thoroughly. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Nutrition Information:

47 Cal., 0 g fat, 0.5 g fiber

Sausage Egg and Cheese Biscuit Muffins

Serves – 10 Points - 2

Ingredients:

6 oz. Jimmy Dean 50% Less Fat Pork Sausage

7.5 oz. can Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cup egg substitute

1/4 cup fat free shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350º.

Crumble and cook sausage in a skillet until browned.

Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Line muffin cups with biscuits, pressing up sides to cover.

Evenly divide sausage between muffin cups. Pour egg substitute over sausage, dividing evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with Cheddar cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until biscuits are done. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Information:

106 cal., 4 g. fat, 0.3 g. fiber

WOW! Thanks alot for the great receipes. I'm definately going to try a few.

I'm so tired of eating oatmeal for breakfast so first I'm gonna try the sausage/egg muffins.

Thanks again, Sandi :headover:

~Sandi~ :salut

We have various types of soy chips, etc. here, but I stay away from them now as I can't leave the bag alone. I don't eat choc. because sweets just shoot my weight way up.

Special K bars are good for 1-2 points, depending on the flavour. I like blueberry ones.

I count on baby carrots for snacks.

I don't eat many Lean Cuisine type meals - too much sodium.

It's not that difficult to make home made soup, one point WW. chili is good too, and you can freeze them in portions.

I make a "cheat" soup too - take a can of tomato soup, one can of water, add leftover veggies from the night before or use frozen bag veggies. Sometimes I "fry" (in Pam) an onion and add it too. I get about 4 cups and it freezes.

Veg burgers or chicken veg. burgers - Yves are good for a change.

Rice cakes - popcorn ones are 1 point. If you want a "sweet" - try carmel ones - I think they are 2 points. I like the tomato basil ones too.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

Calcium suppliments are up to the individual but remember WW has a 2 serving of dairy requirement as well. It's not just to count calcium.

Does Yoohoo actually taste like chocolate? I've never had it.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Guest stacyloveslife

Yoohoo tastes like a Chocolate Soldier or like chocolate milk without the thickness. I like it. It fills me up without a lot of points.

I hope this helps someone. If anyone has a great way to season steamed veggies, I'm looking for ideas. Thanks.

Hi Stacy! :wave: Thanks for all the great recipes. Looks like you're off to a great start on the program.

Just wanted to say that I love all the Mrs. Dash Seasonings and like to add them to almost anything including my steamed veggies. Depending on the vegetable, sometimes a little bit of lemon juice is good, or a little bit of balsamic vinegar, also ICBINB spray.

~ * ~ * ~Judy ~ * ~ *

(last updated - 03/25/07

CW: 185

Goal: 140

Guest Bonanza Jellybean

I found this wonderful seasoning stuff for green beans or for broccoli. It's made by McCormick's and it's in with all the taco and chili seasonings. It's a garlic and herb seasoning. it comes with it's own little bag, you dump in a 16oz bag of frozen or fresh green beans, then mix the seasoning with a 1/4 cup of water nuke it for 7-10 minutes and Ta Da! Fabulous garlic green beans for 0 points. (The seasoning has 15 calories and 0.5mg fat per serving.) Hope that helps with your veggies.

is it possible to eat a lot of low or no point foods with no effect? how much 0 point food is too much?

SW:242 : 11/19/10 Re-SW: 225: 9/19/12 LW:193 :10/31/11 PG:160

I love salad dressing. Especially the full fat kind :embarrass

It was eating up between 5 and 7 points on me per meal, so what I do now is pour 1tbsp into a dish and dip my fork into and then into my salad. It really helps me limit the amount of salad dressing I'm eating and I've now cut down to 2 points per meal which is AOK with me :)

I think its an old Richard Simmons diet trick, I just borrowed it for WW.

I found this fantastic cereal last week. It's called "Fiber One Honey Clusters" and it is sooo good. I'm lactose intolerant, so I just eat it dry. It's a very tasty snack and really filling! Here's the "skinny" on it, per serving:

Fiber: 14g

Calories: 170

Fat: 1g

Serving size: 1 1/4 cups!

The cereal is small flakes with tiny little honey cluster thingies, so 1 1/4 cups of it is a LOT for only 3 points.

Anyway, finding foods high in fiber is a great way to fill up for less points. The fiber makes you feel fuller for longer and drops the points down. And, helps you get things moving! ;)

Guest MiShY1025

I just tried the lean cuisine panini (steak, cheese, mushroom) so good!! Ummm well my favorite low point things are philly stix popsicles (sugar free), South Beach Wheat Thins w/ 5 Laughing Cow Squares, bananna bread (awesome):

1 1/2 Cup of flour

3/4 cup of splenda

1/4 of teaspoon Baking soda

1.5 teaspoons for baking powder

one cup of mashed bannanas (freeze rotten bannanas there the best)

1/4 cup of apple sauce

1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon

Mix all together and put in a bread pan and cook for 50 minutes on 350.

Cut into 12 slices at 2 pts a piece it will last for the week.

is it possible to eat a lot of low or no point foods with no effect? how much 0 point food is too much?
This is a bit of a debated topic. For me zero point veggies are always free. Other foods that are zero points: if I have one serving it's zero points. For example, sf jello has 10 calories for 1 serving. If I eat the whole box, 4 servings, it would be 1 point. If I had one serving for breakfast (for example's sake) and 1 serving for a bedtime snack, I'd count 0 for both.

If you find yourself eating 5 or 6 zero point foods (that aren't on the free veggies list) then they will add up. If you eat 1 or 2 zero point foods in a day, you'll probably be okay.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

bananna bread (awesome):it will last for the week.

Ha-Ha-Ha---- ROFL --- Ha- Ha-Ha. Oh. You were serious, weren't you. Sorry! :o

~ * ~ * ~Judy ~ * ~ *

(last updated - 03/25/07

CW: 185

Goal: 140

Guest gvmemoment

If anyone has a great way to season steamed veggies, I'm looking for ideas. Thanks.

My current favorite is to nuke some frozen veggies (or steam fresh ones!) then drain them completely, then toss with 2tsp (per serving) of olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and some Thyme. YUM! Mrs dash is Always good on them as well, esp when you have already used your healthy oils for the day and don't want any extra points.

Guest MiShY1025

Haha sometimes it does (refering to the banana bread) and other welll opps I had some more. Normally it will last but I will use more points than I should on it. I try to stick to one slice a day and share with everyone else so I dont eat it all. The sad thing is I come home every saturday from school to make it and have it for the week. Hahaha

Guest stacyloveslife

Thanks so much for the terrific McCormick seasoning tip. I can't wait to try it.

Guest stacyloveslife

I've also found that the Sugar Free Jelly Belly jelly beans are 17 beans for 1/2 point - which is great if you're a "at-your-desk-snacker". And the Werther Sugar Free caramel hard candies are 1/2 point for 5.

Guest bcinelli

I live by .. lawry's seasoning salt .. i knwo its a salt .. and its bad .. but it makes veggies so much more easier to chew .. lol ..

Also .. mrs. dash is good .. i try every different variety of seasonings .. lol

I found this wonderful seasoning stuff for green beans or for broccoli. It's made by McCormick's and it's in with all the taco and chili seasonings. It's a garlic and herb seasoning. it comes with it's own little bag, you dump in a 16oz bag of frozen or fresh green beans, then mix the seasoning with a 1/4 cup of water nuke it for 7-10 minutes and Ta Da! Fabulous garlic green beans for 0 points. (The seasoning has 15 calories and 0.5mg fat per serving.) Hope that helps with your veggies.

Oh, I've tried that. My little girls didn't like the garlic seasoning for the green beans, but they loved the cheesy seasoning for the broccoli/cauliflower.

I love thet fact that it cooks in the microwave. No mess, 'cause it has it's own bag.

Deborah

The CLOWN is DOWN!!! :clown:

SW: 280.6 (3/1/06)

CW: 276.2 (3/6/06)

1st 10% - TBD

Total lost: 4.4 :headover: