Health Discovery Network
jamie111

beans and rice in crockpot?

does anyone have an easy recipe for beans and rice in the crockpot, or if not just a recipe for beans and rice, i'm thinking of making it this week, but i don't have one with low pts, thanks! :)

Jamie :workout:

I would like a low point beans and rice recipie as well. if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated.

lisa

GOD BLESS,

LISA M

Serves 8@ 3 points per serving - without rice.

4 C. Fat free vegetable broth

1 medium onion - diced

1 lb of black beans

4 cloves of garlic

1 bell pepper - diced

2 TB of chili powder

salt to taste

The chili powder I use, is a blend of oregano, chili pepper, red pepper, cumin and garlic - hence I don't add much in the way of seasoning since it's already there.

You can soak the beans over night, or you can throw it all in the crock as is and let it go for 12 hours.

You can skip the onion and pepper, and add a jar of salsa if it suits your tastes.

I serve it over rice for a 7 point meal that is very filling.

Nicole

DD Josephine Kyle born March 10, 2005

"You did what you knew how to do. And when you knew better, You did better." - Maya Angelou.

Goal! November 2006

On the journey back.

Guest scales_lie

rice tends to turn to mush when you put it in a crockpot. :ugh:

Nicole, that recipe sounds soooo good, and PERFECT for my level of effort. :) I even have the same chili powder - in about 2000, someone turned me on to Penzeys and I've never looked back.

Calgal

Lifetime 3/22/01 174 (preWW)/166(sw)/131

Trying again after baby #1:

180 (highest pg)/145 (sw as of 7/1)/142 (cw)

Here we go again after baby #2:

182 (highest pg)/145 (current)

thank you for posting this. i have a question. how much of this is a serving? is it 1/2 c or 1 c. i cant wait to try this. finally a beans and rice recipie that's low enough in points. Is pensey's the name of the chilli powder? where would i buy it?

thanks,

Lisa M

GOD BLESS,

LISA M

I found the spice this recipie called for. I am making it in the crockpot as i am typing it. i love beans and rice. it smells so good. i cant wait to have it tommorrow for either lunch or dinner. i'll let you know how it turns out.

GOD BLESS,

LISA M

Just want to say that this recipie is excellent. my dd even liked it. they can served over rice or put in a tortilla w/ lettuce, ff cheese, ff sour cream, some salsa. thank you so much for posting this recipie. it is most defenetely a keeper.

GOD BLESS,

LISA M

Guest NurseAudrey

I'm making this now. I can't wait to try it tomorrow, I haven't had beans and rice in forever! It smelled delicious just mixing it together in the slow cooker. LOL I'll let you know how it turned out tomorrow!

Guest NurseAudrey

This was good. Just before serving I added precooked chicken sausage and fresh cilantro to it. I served it over quinoa. Very filling. It is also good with 1/4 cup of fresh salsa mixed in. DH loves it and wants me to make it again! Serving size is about one heaping 1/2 cup.

I'd like to try this recipe, but since i don't have the type of chili powder the poster used, I'm a little unsure of how much of each spice I should add. I'd appreciate any feedback- I was thinking:

1 TBSP chili powder

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp red pepper

Does this sound all right?

SW and HW-198

CW-192.5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]