Health Discovery Network
ChristineP

Pasta e Fagioli (Core): Tried and True

Hello Buddies,

I made this recipe for dinner tonight! It was fabulous! I could have easily eaten another bowl ... but did not! It makes a ton too, so it will be wonderful to have leftovers this week.

Enjoy!

Christine

Pasta e Fagioli (Core)

Add your daily healthy oil requirement to your portion if you need it.

1 lb lean ground beef

1 (29 oz.) can diced tomatoes

2 (14 oz.) cans Great Northern beans, undrained

10 oz. box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

3 cups water

1 TBS minced garlic

1 TBS dried parsley

1 tsp garlic powder

1.5 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/2 lb whole-wheat seashell or small, shaped pasta

Grated or shredded soy or fat-free parmesan (optional)

In a large stockpot, brown beef. Add diced tomatoes, beans, spinach, chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, garlic, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is tender (approximately 10 minutes). Ladle soup into individual serving bowls. Top with cheese, if desired.

Serves 6 - 8

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

I love to get this when we go to Olive Garden, yep I am pretty sure theirs isn't core--lol, but it is good.

Look forward to trying this core version.

kim....HW 189.0..SW 10/17/14 187.0 CW 185.0~GW 150

Oh my! Definitely a tried and true. I am eating my bowl now and can hardly believe how wonderful it is! This will definitely be on my "make again" list!

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Finally got around to making this and it is GREAT!!

And hubby thought so too.

Thank you for the great recipe Christine!

kim....HW 189.0..SW 10/17/14 187.0 CW 185.0~GW 150

Hi Christine..........just wanted you to know that this recipe rocks........absolutely wonderful..........thanks........by any chance would you happen to know what the points might be for this.........i am having trouble with core and think i might have to do flex for awhile........i would appreciate the points and for how much.........thanks again.........it was so good........

~~Toni~~

"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."

I am new to the bean thing, but does anyone know if I can sub light red kidney beans for the Great Northern beans? whats the difference between the beans?

thanks!

SW 176.8/CW 167.0/10% goal 159.8/PG135

Easter Challenge

2/15 167.0

2/28 167.0 still

3/1

3/8

3/15

3/22 *Leaving for vaca 3/26 -4/4

3/29

4/5

Skinny,

I found this online:

Great Northern Beans Medium size, white color, oval shape; mild flavor with a powdery texture. They are commonly found dried. They have a delicate flavor which makes them a good choice for salads. You may find canned Great Northerns. Substitute canned canellini beans for canned Great Northerns. Canellini beans are also called white kidney beans.

I don't see why you couldn't substitute, though it might have a bit of a different taste.

Ashesmom: I do not know the points since I do Core, but it is probably very easy to figure out, pointing the items separately........sorry!

Glad everyone likes it!

Christine :wave:

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

i am going to try this thanks for posting.

Melinda

Recommit Day:2/24/2008 280.2

Weigh In Date: 04/05/2008-269.40 -.8

GW 160-165

Bumping up!

Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185

GW - 145

CW - 158

This sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try it... I'm giong to make it on Saturday for dh and I.

~~ Lara ~~

The world is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Live, Live Live!

weight.png

I bought the morning star veggie crumbles instead of beef,has anyone made it with this and how is the taste,thanks everyone.

Sally:

I haven't made this particular recipe but my experience is that in pasta dishes it makes very little difference if you use the "fake" beef. My family cannot usually tell the difference.

HTH

Latebloomer

I made this tonight and it was very good. I used white kidney beans and it turned out great. The only thing I did differently other than that was to add some red pepper flakes and a little more garlic, parsley and basil. Very good and quite filling!

SW: 189.5

Lifetime Goal: 148 March 2006

CW: 147 (7/19/2010)

I made this on Friday. I'm not used to meat in my pasta e fagioli, but it was satisfying. I too added more parsley, basil, pepper and garlic. Today I added a sprinkle of shredded ff mozzarella and that melted in made it even better. I'm used to a lot of parmesan in my pasta e fagioli, so that helped it taste more authentic to me. I'm glad it made so much, I have some for the rest of the week.

Erin (Princess Dirty Bird)

Guest designsbybriana

This ROCKS! OMG this soup was sooooo good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!! I used about 20 oz of northern beans instead of 14. I added soy shreds cheese on top and it was sooooooo good!

This is an awesome, delicious, filling wonderful soup. I added more spinach and more beans to mine, just 'cuz I love that stuff. Mmmmmm - mmmmmm good. Glad it made somuch that i have left overs. I made "core-n" bread to go with it. Just yummy. Thank you so much for sharing this one.:jump_jack

Guest designsbybriana

I took this in to work this week for two co-workers. One really liked it and the other loved it soo much, he said it was now his favorite soup! :) It's really good, even better with the soy cheese on top! :)

Guest designsbybriana

Bumping to top. Had this again yesterday and it was marvelous - once again. My good friend says it's his FAVORITE soup, made it and brought some in for me. Thanks for the awesome recipe!! ;)

This recipe sounds great. I am not on Core. Does anyone know or can anyone tell me the points on this?

Thanks!

~*~ Busy Bee 2~*~

Lifetime 11/01

Recommitted AGAIN & AGAIN on 1-1-07

SW 158.2 :mad:

CW 133.2 :o

GW 125 :)

Based on the NI for my brands including 96% lean ground beef for 8 servings I get 320 calories, 3g fat, 10g fiber (capped at 4) = 6 points per serving

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Thanks for the point info so quickly! (Wish it were less though, but don' t we always!)

~*~ Busy Bee 2~*~

Lifetime 11/01

Recommitted AGAIN & AGAIN on 1-1-07

SW 158.2 :mad:

CW 133.2 :o

GW 125 :)

I made this tonight for my family and it was out of this world!!!:salut

SW-170

CW-169

GW-120

Loving mom to

Jonathon 11/5/99

Jacob 12/8/02

Loving wife to

Ryan since 4/22/95

would the points be less if you used ground turkey???

SW-170

CW-169

GW-120

Loving mom to

Jonathon 11/5/99

Jacob 12/8/02

Loving wife to

Ryan since 4/22/95