Health Discovery Network
ChristineP

Pasta e Fagioli (Core): Tried and True

Guest LivBean

Bumping this so I remember to make it sometime this weekend....or maybe tomorrow if it's a snow day!!!

Guest designsbybriana

I love this soup. It's one of my fav's!! I made it again this weekend. YUM!!

Thanks! It is nice to be reminded how much I like this one! Adding to next week's grocery list!

Christine :bcb_smile

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

This is fabulous! So easy! Just dump everything in and let it cook! Warms the soul on a coooooold day!

Kay :bcb_wink3

HW- 192

SW- 164 4-14-08

LW- 149 7-30-08

CW- 161.6

Personal Goal- 135

this is soo goood!!!!

SW-170

CW-169

GW-120

Loving mom to

Jonathon 11/5/99

Jacob 12/8/02

Loving wife to

Ryan since 4/22/95

Yum....yum....yum...oh, so very yummy!

I don't eat beef, so I substituted Morningstar Farms Crumbles and it was great!

Thank you for posting the recipe, Christine! I made it tonight while it is rainy and cool. This will be fabulous for winter!

Deedee

Deedee

"Do or do not. There is no try." (Yoda)

I put this in the recipe builder and for some reason it gives 6 pts per serving?? This is Core so why did it not mark core???

SW-170

CW-169

GW-120

Loving mom to

Jonathon 11/5/99

Jacob 12/8/02

Loving wife to

Ryan since 4/22/95

OOPs i just saw where it says it is not made to build core recipes!

SW-170

CW-169

GW-120

Loving mom to

Jonathon 11/5/99

Jacob 12/8/02

Loving wife to

Ryan since 4/22/95

I made this over the weekend, and it is delicious. I had some this morning for breakfast, and it's a hot, delicious, nourishing way to start the day.

Tish

Onward and Downward

I had made this once before, but liked this version much better. :salut

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

It's even better the next day when all the water gets soaked up and it turns into hamburger helper!

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5

5/2/08: -4

You know it's a hit when your husband goes back for a second bowl. I also added red pepper flakes to give it a little bit of heat. This is going in the save pile!!

Everybody I know's got a big but !!!

The red pepper flakes is a good idea, I'll remember that. I made this a lot last winter. (I'm not a big soup eater, but this was so good that I made it several times and will again next winter.)

Tish

Onward and Downward

Wow! This might be the best soup recipe I've ever made! I made this last night and it is wonderful!!! My husband thought it was better than fancy restaurant soups. I sent it to everyone I know.

Laveta

SW: 225.6

CW: 175.8

HW: 245 (non-pregnancy weight)

Rejoined 5/15/2010 to get to LIFETIME!

Bumping this fav and adding a comment. The first time I made this, I put the pasta right into it and when I tried to freeze it, the pasta turned mushy and soaked up all the soup! This time, I made a huge batch but instead of adding in the pasta, i cooked it on the side so that everyone could spoon out their own desired amount of pasta. Then, I froze just the soup (because I had a ton left over!) Well, I just thawed some out and made fresh pasta and it's the best! This is my favorite recipe!

HW- 192

SW- 164 4-14-08

LW- 149 7-30-08

CW- 161.6

Personal Goal- 135

I consider Pasta e fagioli a true comfort food that can belong to us in WW. But I preferred a baked version I tweaked. Since it wasn't soupy to start with the pasta doesn't sog in the freezer (and I freeze everything unless it has mayo). I blenderize one can of the canellini beans to sauce it up. My recipe is vegetarian and counted points but you can adjust as you wish:

Baked Pasta e Fagioli

WW- 5

Makes 6 main dish servings

8 oz. whole wheat penne or elbow macaroni (about 2 cups) (12)

1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes in puree

1 T olive oil (3)

1 medium onion, chopped

1 stalk celery chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed with press (more for me)

2 cans (15 oz) canellini beans (8)

1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth

pinch crushed red pepper (1/4 tsp. ground black pepper for those who don't like it hot)

1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese (8)

Preheat oven to 400. Heat large covered saucepot of water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook 2 min less than label directs. Drain and return pasta to saucepot.Drain tomatoes, reserving puree. Coarsely chop. Drain and rinse the cans of beans. Mash one of the cans into a puree. In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over med. heat until hot. Add onion and celery and cook 9-10 min. until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 min. Stir in tomatoes with their puree, beans, broth and pepper; heat to boiling over high. Reduce heat to med.; stir in spinach. Add bean mixture, reserved pasta water and 1/4 cup Romano cheese to pasta in saucepot and toss until well mixed. Transfer pasta mixture to 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish Sprinkle with remaining Romano. Bake 15 min. or until center is hot and top is golden.

marge

SW: 206

GW: 146

CW: 166. 8:bcb_march

40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

weight.png

Bump! Perfect rainy day dish to make... and freeze without the pasta or it will get mushy! My whole house smells delicious!

HW- 192

SW- 164 4-14-08

LW- 149 7-30-08

CW- 161.6

Personal Goal- 135

Guest Stargazer1010

Bumping up for my Mom:bcb_up

Guest avocado_grrrl

I made this last night for dinner and it was incredible! I had to half the recipe after I came home from the store and realized "oops, only bought one can of beans" :bcb_huh:, but that was fine as I was only making it for myself and my boyfriend. Even halved, it made a LOT!

I also used low-sodium veggie broth and soy crumbles instead, because the boyfriend and I are vegetarians and well...it never hurts to keep the sodium in check! :salut