Health Discovery Network
jamie111

sugar in the raw? 0 pts??

i almost could not believe my eyes, sugar in the raw is 0 pts for 1 packet, i cant believe this, i dont know how it could be, b/c splenda is also 0 pts, i am trying to get away from artif sugars so this could be great for me, does anyone use this sugar, and is it really 0, like the ww books say, still cant believe this, :jump_jack

Jamie :workout:

According to the Sugar in the Raw Website 1 packet has 20 calories so that would be 0 points but 2 packets would certainly be 1 point and they would add up quickly. It takes a 1/2 cup of pourable splenda to be a point. I don't know how many packets. It's all about the serving size.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

does that mean it is no better than white sugar to eat on ww, i am trying to get away from artif sugars, b/c isn't 1tbsp of white sugar 1 pt, i am just trying to get away from the artificial stuff. :)

Have you tried stevia? It is a sweet herb, you can purchase it in powder form from health food stores. Pay the extra for the white kind, the green kind is bitter.

thank you for the info, i saw a few other posts on stevia, and i have heard of it, but i thought it tasted bad, but that must be the green kind, i think? i am going to check out my health food store to get some, thanks very much!:)

Jamie111:

Stevia can be bitter--remember, it is an herb, not a sugar. However, used right (and refined right) it can be a great sweetener. It may not be the most appropriate to use in all dishes. I'd check with the health food store and also look at their cookbook section to see if they have any info on stevia. The internet is a great source of info also. I used stevia quite a bit one time when I was trying to help my diabetic husband with his diabetes. It came in individual packets just like splenda. What he didn't like about it was that it didn't dissolve the same as spenda, etc.

It's certainly worth a try!

Cheryl

SD~07/27/2010

SW~227

GW~160:help:

Jamie111:

Stevia can be bitter--remember, it is an herb, not a sugar. However, used right (and refined right) it can be a great sweetener. It may not be the most appropriate to use in all dishes. I'd check with the health food store and also look at their cookbook section to see if they have any info on stevia. The internet is a great source of info also. I used stevia quite a bit one time when I was trying to help my diabetic husband with his diabetes. It came in individual packets just like splenda. What he didn't like about it was that it didn't dissolve the same as spenda, etc.

It's certainly worth a try!

thank you very much for the info, i cant wait to try stevia, since, i am trying to get away from aspartame and splenda. :)

Guest Donalyn

I purchased SteviaPlus in packets and wish I hadn't. the aftertaste is huge for me. I have just ordered whey low and am promised this will not have an aftertaste. If anyone out there is interested in this box of stevia, give me a call and I will get it to you for the cost of shipping alone. I hate to throw a box of 99 packs of something away that someone else can use.

724-446-7287

na

Have you tried stevia? It is a sweet herb, you can purchase it in powder form from health food stores. Pay the extra for the white kind, the green kind is bitter.

I purchased SteviaPlus in packets and wish I hadn't. the aftertaste is huge for me. I have just ordered whey low and am promised this will not have an aftertaste. If anyone out there is interested in this box of stevia, give me a call and I will get it to you for the cost of shipping alone. I hate to throw a box of 99 packs of something away that someone else can use.

Same for me - I am not a fan of Stevia either. I use fructose which has the same calorie content as sugar, but you only need about 1/3 of it. So if you use 1 tsp, it's 0 points (15 calories) - and trust me, 1 tsp is PLENTY. I barely use even that much.

Fructose is a natural sugar found in fruit. There is no chemical aftertaste because there are no chemicals!

Incidentally, if you are on Core (which I am), fructose is a Core food, so you can use it to satisfaction.

Original SW: 149

New SW (11/8/10): 138

CW: 132

GW: 125

:work_out:

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan