Health Discovery Network
Paris Madeleine

Sweet Corn Pudding

If you like the [thread=83694]Cream of Wheat Pudding[/thread], you may love this new take on the recipe.

1/4 cup grits (I use Arrowhead Mills)

1 cup fat-free skim milk

1 egg

1-2 packets Splenda or stevia

1 tsp vanilla, almond, or hazelnut extract

Cinnamon (optional)

Place the grits and milk in a small sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until they are the consistancy you prefer.

In a small separate bowl combine egg, vanilla, and splenda.

Remove the pan for the stove and then, stirring rapidly to avoid "scrambled egg effect," add the egg mixture to the cream of wheat and cook for 1 minute longer or until thickened to your liking, and long enough for the egg to cook.

Core; serves 1.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I made a savory version of this today. I used just the grits, milk, eggbeaters and added 1/2 cup of frozen corn, thawed. I topped it with a bit of light butter and chile salt. It was missing something (probably the tons of butter I used to have with grits :D ), but I'll have to play with it some more, maybe a bit of cheese. Hmmmmm. It is super filling though.

As usual, thanks for the inspiration, Paris! :buddysmoo

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

DOH! doh.gif I was running late tonight when I realized I hadn't made breakfast for tomorrow. In my rush I used Cream of Wheat instead of grits. So now I have C of W with corn and cheese. I hope it tastes ok tomorrow, but now I have to try it right next time. I'm thinking of using some coarse ground polenta with this too.

Joanne

I've never had grits before, but I'm ready to try something new. Today I bought Arrowhead Mills Yellow Corn Grits. Is this what I'm supposed to use?

I'm a little confused because there is also a recipe for polenta on the back of the box. Are grits and polenta similar/the same? I googled it but am still not quite clear on the difference.

Thanks! :bcbsalute

Suzie :salut

Grits and Polenta are the same thing - ground corn. Sometimes one is ground more coarsely than the others. They can both come in yellow or white. Sometimes Grits are called ground hominy rather than corn but I think it's basically the same thing.

Joanne

Funny, tomorrow, I'm having the sweet version with a mix of Cream of Wheat and Grits cause I didn't have a full amount of Cream of Wheat so I just topped it off with grits. I think it will still be good.

Joanne

I made the savory version this morning with grits, milk, egg, salt, cayenne pepper, about 1/4 cup of frozen fire-roasted corn, and some canned green chilis. I added a teaspoon of butter on top. This is a nice change of pace from my usual breakfasts -- it is very filling and rich-tasting too. So much so that I could only eat 2/3 to 3/4 of the recipe, and I'm a little too full.

Thanks Paris & Joanne!

Suzie :salut

Guest mgskarma

OH MY GOSH!!!

this is such a great recipe... I specifically got online this morning and decided to look this up again (guessing a recipe always turns out questionable!)

It is so much better than just grits made like cereal, with the egg I am getting that extra protein and it is so filling. I used one packet of instant grits, which i think is 1/4 cup (looks like it). and it worked just fine. I also substituted sweet n low for the splenda, because more than a Little splenda gives me headaches. but THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR THE RECIPE!!!!

have a great day.

melody

Guest A_Thinner_Dree

Does anyone think this might be good with some canned or frozen corn kernels mixed in? Just wondering.

If you scroll down, Suzie and I have both done a savory version with frozen corn mixed it.

Joanne

Guest A_Thinner_Dree

Oh! I missed that....that's what I get for skimming.

Thank you! I'll try that.

Guest j621d

Being from the South, the idea of putting a sweetner in the grits gives me the willies. However, I know that it is basically corn meal. This is just a head trip on my part. I like my grits with egg and ff cheddar. It really holds me over for a long time.

I have really enjoyed the creative recipes that have been posted. There is NO REASON to be bored with core!! I never thought I'd get to eat corn bread without having to count points, but core-n bread makes it all possible and it is so good!

And now I've discovered the Cream of Wheat pudding. OMG!! Yum, yum yum! Let me grab my spoon.

I'm going to try making this. I've never made grits before. I think I will make it as a side dish for dinner with green chilis and serve it with ham.

SW: 189.5

Lifetime Goal: 148 March 2006

CW: 147 (7/19/2010)

My take on it was to take 2 cups of milk, stir in 1/2 c corn meal until thick, stir in 2 eggs, then add a can of diced green chilis, some fire roasted corn and 2% cheese (count points for cheese or use ff). Very delicious!

SW: 189.5

Lifetime Goal: 148 March 2006

CW: 147 (7/19/2010)

Bumping so I can try this. I'm currently in the process of cooking a core-ified version of a sweet corn tomalito recipe and I want to compare.

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

After reading the Prevention article about resistant starches, I remembered this recipe and how much I liked it. I've now tried this with both grits and cornmeal. While both are tasty, the cornmeal definitely is the way to go to make a core sweet corn tomalito. Tastes just like Chevy's, but core, not an absurd number of points for a small scoop!

Nikki

SW: 183 (1/8/06)

CW:145

WWGW: 146 (MADE IT! 9/5/07 LIFETIME 10/17/07)

next minigoal: Get back into the 130s

I got brave and tried this on Sunday - YUMMY!!! The only grits I could find were instant but it seemed to work fine. Next I want to try the savory version. I will definately make this again! :bcb_up

RainyBabie :bcb_happy

weight.png

Back on track - September 2010... Whoo hoo! :bcb_march

Some Weeks You Lose, Some Weeks You Learn...

Oh YUMMY! Had the savory version for breakfast today - both versions are definately a keeper!!

My BF is a southern boy and always orders grits for breakfast when they are on the menu - I was always like gross! He laughed at me when I told him I made grits and liked them! :bcb_LOL:

weight.png

I made the sweet version today. It was good and really stuck with me.

Thanks for the recipe, Paris!

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Yummy - I make this a lot now!

I made this late in the day a couple times (both versions - sweet and savory) and added my 2 tsp of canola oil in the first step and it didn't change the taste or texture. Good way to get in your oil!

Last night I made it late and was short oil & fruit/veggies so I made the sweet version and added oil - then I poured it over blueberries and sliced strawberries. It was so good my son requested I make it for him for breakfast! Which of course I did. :bcb_up

weight.png

I'm having some now with 1tsp of my healthy oil and some trader joe's unsweetened mixed berries tossed in - SUPER YUMMY!! :bcb_up I love this recipe - it's so easy to add to and keep creating and everything I've tried so far has been good!

weight.png