Health Discovery Network
hootowl

New Asian Salad with edamame at MickyD's?

Has anyone tried the new Asian Salad at McDonalds? I just saw an ad for it on Yahoo. The website says it has orange glazed chicken, snow peas, edamame, mandarin oranges, toasted almonds and low-fat sesame ginger dressing. YUM! It sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see if my local McDonalds has it. Here is a link below to the add:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/eat/features/salads.html

Janice

Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

Guest Zina in Zushi

I saw it today while I was taking my son for a happy meal...it looks sooo good and I almost had one. I wasn't sure of the facts and didn't want to chance it....but I just saw your link....and it doesn't look too bad....if you were in a pinch...I opted for a diet coke...one french fry....and waited until I got home to have a 2 point veggie wrap....but it looks like a great choice if you HAVE to eat there.Thank you for the link!

The salad is 6 points plus 2 points for the dressing. The salad without chicken is 3 points (plus 2 points for the dressing). Hmmm....

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

That's so wierd that you posted this, today! I was just driving by my local McD's and saw a "try our new Asian salad" sign in front of the store. I thought to myself "oooh this sounds yummy, I wonder how many points?" Came here and there is already a thread posted! I will definately try it.

firechick139:wave:

sw 214/cw 194/wwgw 155/pgw 148

:D "DON'T WAIL ON THE SCALE IF YOU CHEAT WHEN YOU EAT!" :D

"Needing to lose 70lbs seems overwhelming to me. So, I'm going to lose 1lb - 70 times. That, I know I can do"

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."- Confuscious

Guest sotm121097

I had this yesterday. i really liked it a lot. i would recommend trying it.

I haven't tried it but it looks awesome! I had checked already and found it was fairly low points with the lowfat ginger dressing. i don't know if they serve the almonds already on the salad or in little packs you can choose to put on or not. But the salad with given ingredients is 6 points with the grilled chicken but if you leave off the almonds it's only 4pts. (per mcdonalds website) So with chicken without almonds and with dressing would be 6 pts sounds like a points winner to me!

Kristen

SW 245/CW 153/GW 150/

Guest MamaxMiax

Had it Friday and loved it. I don't usually like Mcdonald's grilled chicken but the chicken on this salad was good. Almonds come in a separate package so you choose to put them on or not and the entire packet of Newman's lowfat Sesame dressing was too much for the salad so you could probably use 1/2 of it and reduce the points a little. I say try it!!!!:headover:

MamaxMiax

Had it Friday and loved it. I don't usually like Mcdonald's grilled chicken but the chicken on this salad was good. Almonds come in a separate package so you choose to put them on or not and the entire packet of Newman's lowfat Sesame dressing was too much for the salad so you could probably use 1/2 of it and reduce the points a little. I say try it!!!!

Totally agree about the dressing. You could almost get away without it, there is an orange glaze on the chicken... All things considered, its a good choice at a place without many.

Tanya

Starting fresh every day

I was out of town last week and had the salad. It was very good. The grilled the chicken so it was hot. I don't know if that is normal or if the server was just being nice. She was the one who recommended it when she heard me talking about healthy choices. I am so glad the fast sood places are starting to cater to healhier choices.

SW 153 CW 134 GW 125

10% Goal: 130

Totally agree about the dressing. You could almost get away without it, there is an orange glaze on the chicken... All things considered, its a good choice at a place without many.

I'm a third vote on the dressing! I tried it the other day. It was very good, but the whole packet of dressing was way too much. It has a very strong flavor, so a little goes a long way.

firechick139:wave:

sw 214/cw 194/wwgw 155/pgw 148

:D "DON'T WAIL ON THE SCALE IF YOU CHEAT WHEN YOU EAT!" :D

"Needing to lose 70lbs seems overwhelming to me. So, I'm going to lose 1lb - 70 times. That, I know I can do"

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."- Confuscious

I had this last night, used half the dressing only, no almonds! I really enjoyed it! I would definitely have it again!

Linette

Lifetime: 2/9/06

SW: 187

GW: 150 I got down to 142 at my lowest weight...

Re-dedicating myself as of 01/04/11 NewSW:190

CW: 173.0 (-17.) WOOT!!! (08/01/2011)

Proud mommy to Kiley Alyssa 6/25/03 and Marisa Gail 2/20/08

DH :buddysmoo and I had this for lunch today! It was delicious, and one packet of the salad dressing was enough for both of us!

:bcbsalute MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

I am glad you mentioned the orange glaze. I thought they had put the dressing on my salad already so I didn't even add any dressing from the pack they give you.

I was disappointed that the 2 different places where I ate the salad did not have the exercise DVD that is supposed to come with it. It was advertised on the sign in the window at both places, and that is why I tried the salad in the first place. Oh well, the salad was good anyway and I am sure I will have it again. I plan to email McDonalds and see what they say about the DVD not being available even though it is being advertised.

Janice

SW243/CW219/GW137

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

Did you order a medium or larger drink with the salad? That is a requirement to get the DVD (I heard it advertised on the radio).

I have telling EVERYONE about this salad because I absolutely love it! The flavors combine very nicely, it is a big salad, and with the chicken fills me up for the afternoon.

I don't use the dressing at all because I like just the sauce that is on the chicken and the juice from the mandarin oranges. I always put the almonds on because they are so healthy for us! (A doctor even prescribed my dad to eat 6 almonds a day!)

A girl that I work with thinks that it was a little spicey, but it is probably the favorite of all the salads that I have tried :)

Enjoy!

Suzcaplooz

HW 218 Curves 01-18-2004

SW 189.2 Weight Watchers 01-10-2006

10% Goal met 04-11-2006

CW 148.2 10-16-06

...getting closer!!!

.....only 3.2 more!!!!

GW 145

Tried this today after reading the review this morning. Gets a "thumbs-up" from me. Nice and flavorful! They didn't give me the almonds (grrr), but guess that's OK. Kept my salad w/ grilled chix and full packet of dressing to only 6 pts. Good lunch w/ my Diet DP!

Jennifer

Total Loss to Date: 23

Goals (Total Loss):

25 pounds by 2/14/07 (Valentine's Day)

40 pounds by 4/8/07 (Easter)

50 pounds by 5/28/07 (Memorial Day)

65 pounds by 7/31/07 (My 30th Birthday!)

I paid extra for the medium drink both times just to get the DVD. They didn't tell me they didn't have the DVD until after I had paid. I never order a medium drink when I eat in because I can order a small and you get free refills anyway.

BTW, I emailed McDonalds to complain and I got the generic response below:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your restaurant experience at McDonald's.

We value your comments and will be responding to you soon. Thanks again for contacting us.

Replies to this e-mail cannot be received. Please feel free to contact us

through mcdonalds.com. Thank you.

Janice

SW243/CW219/GW137

Hootowl: A few years ago I had an issue with McDonalds and we got the same message. But they followed up pretty soon after, so at least from my experience, you should get a repsonse soon...it is SO frustrating when that happens...I hate generic reponses. Anyway, thought I'd let you know.

Original SW: 149

New SW (11/8/10): 138

CW: 132

GW: 125

:work_out:

"You were once wild here - don't let them tame you." - Isadora Duncan

Thanks. You were right. I got this response today:

Hello Janice:

Thank you for contacting McDonald's to let us know about your recent dissatisfaction with the "Yourself!Fitness" DVDs. We are truly sorry that we disappointed you. It is always our hope that the games and promotions we offer will be fun for our customers.

Again, we are sorry that we have let you down. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention because we know it's our most loyal customers who take the time to let us know when we've disappointed them. You should know that we carefully record all customer feedback on our promotions and share this information with our Marketing department. Our goal is to continually improve the promotions we offer.

We value your business and hope we have the pleasure of serving you soon at McDonald's.

Debra

McDonald's Customer Response Center

I was expecting a little more, like a coupon or something, but at least they acknowledged my complaint.

Janice

SW243/CW219/GW137

UPDATE: I actually got a letter from someone who said she is the operating partner of one of the McDonald’s that I visited. She said that the Asian Salad/DVD promotion was overwhelmingly popular with the customers and they ran out of the DVDs before the promotion ended. She apologized for letting me down. I got one coupon for a free breakfast biscuit and another coupon for an extra value meal. I thought it was a pretty nice gesture. I was surprised at the quick response.

Janice

SW243/CW219/GW137

Ok...this salad ROCKS! I absolutely HATE salads. But love this one. It is sweet and crunchy with the almonds. The soy beans are awesome. I just can't say enough...the chicken was tender and sweet. YUM. I used 1/2 the dressing also. It is worth every bit of 7 points for the whole thing.

Kris

:wave:Kris: Proud mom of 3 little ones

Started: 12/7/05

sw: 210:ugh:

:workout: CW: 153

1st 10 lbs.1/11

2nd Star & 10% 2/8

3rd Star 3/15

4th Star & 20%4/12

5th Star 6/14

Total loss: -57:goal:

Goal: 145

LOVE asian food - can not wait to try this! Thanks for the tip!

Shannon

---

Original SW: 181.4

End weight (June 06): 155

Restart: 9/13/06

Restart Weight: 179 :mad:

CW- 171.6 (-7.4)

GW - 155 (by christmas 06)

GW - 145 (final goal)

I just tried it the other day and I have to agree with the reviews...it's WONDERFUL!!!

However, I don't like peppers and was unpleasantly surprised to find out it was loaded with tiny chopped red peppers which weren't too easy to pick off. Wonder if I can order it without the peppers next time?

Even if I have to pick those little buggers off, it's still a great salad!

The salad dressing is available at Krogers. After trying the salad, which by the way I LOVED, I bought the Newman's Own dressing and it tastes as good at home as it does from McD's!:D

Kandy

Diabetes since 09/05

Weight Watchers 8/28 /06

:lol:

I bought the dressing at Wal-Mart and it's a great on my boring lettuce at home (and much cheaper than running to McD's!) Sometimes I toss cut up chicken breast and mandarin oranges on my salad...yum!