Health Discovery Network
Charley711

? on meat falling apart and verggies going to mush?

Hi,

I did a very simple recipe lsat night. I got it from somewhere and modified ingredients a bit. I'm not big on mushrooms.

4 Boneless Breast of Chicken (thick ones not tenderized at all)

1 can 98% FF Cream of Chicken Soup

1 can 98% FF Cream of Celery Soup

(do not at water)

1/2 large red onion sliced

2 stalks celery cut in 3/4" chunks

added 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour to thicken sauce towards the end of cooking.

I put it over Uncle Bens Brown Rice

I put the chicken in the bottom and soups on top. Cooked in 3 qrt slow cooker set on low 8-10 hours. At about 1/2 way through tossed in the onion and celery. Most of the onion desolved into the sauce so I might wait longer to add them or cut some bigger chunks next time.

When I reached in to scoop up the chicken I noticed that the chicken fell apart I had just a small mass left of each chicken breast. Granted this was still awesome that the sauce was meaty, but hard for me to do my point! I motified another recipe so I need to find what the points and serving size should be. It tasted absolutely yummy. My DBF put garlic power on his - he loves garlic though :)

This really was really flavorful and "stick to your ribs" good. Great on a cold rainy night!

Overall, I have trouble with meat and veggies breaking down even though I am on the right temp for the right amount of time. HELP!

Charlene T :wave:

Southern ME/ NH

SW 170 :help:

CW 168 STARTING OVER!

GW 140.0 :exercise:

"By showing respect for each other, we're all encouraged to shine.":)

8-10 hours is a little long for chicken breasts, I probably would've done more like 7-8. I save the longer hours for sizable roasts, whole chickens, and stews. Normally veggies only need about 3 hours to cook, especially if they're cut up. HTH :) .

Julia

SW177/CW131/GW144

OK, 7-8 for breast of chicken, 3 hours fresh veggies right? What about frozen meat and or veggies? I've seen posts with people using frozen chicken breasts. Maybe that is what I was supposed to do 8-10 with?

I just want to use my 3 crockpots more and come home to yummy good for me foods!

I want a speghetti sauce I can make and cook ALL DAY! Any suggestions?

Charlene T :wave:

Southern ME/ NH

SW 170 :help:

CW 168 STARTING OVER!

GW 140.0 :exercise:

"By showing respect for each other, we're all encouraged to shine.":)

Yes, if you start with frozen breasts, 8 hours is probably fine, but it's a bit too long for thawed ones.

Keep in mind that crockpots vary a bit temperature-wise, so your low might be a bit hotter than my low, etc.

For fresh veggies, it depends on how big/dense they are. The smaller chopped or diced things need only @ 3 hours, but good sized chunks of potato can take 6 or so.

If your crockpot has a delay feature or a keep warm feature, that's helpful for keeping things from overcooking. If not, well, you can either cook things for shorter times or get used to the falling apart thing. :D Since I work during the day and want my crockpot cooking to be ultra-convenient, I am happy with super soft veggies and fall-apart meat. But if you have the time flexibility, you can totally get things cooked just the way you like them. Good luck.

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07