Health Discovery Network
new_mommy05

fitness Q:HIPS AND LOWER BACK FAT??

icon5.gif fitness Q:HIPS AND LOWER BACK FAT??

Hey everyone,

I am very close to my goal weight, abour6-7lbs away, but I have alot of fat on my hips and lower back.

I think I am an apple shape.

Does anyone know any target exercises for that area. Lately I just only been doing the treadmill, since I dont know what to do, thats really my only problem area that I have concerns for. It really stands out like a sore thumb whenever I try my new bikini that I purchase to wear this summer.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I bearly have any hips, yet I carry so much fat on that area.

Please any trainers out there? Or anyone with and exersices that I could do.

Thanks so much for reading,

Have a great day!!!

Melissa:workout:

1st goal: 120lbs

Goal weight: 105lbs

"WHAT YOU DO TODAY, WILL MAKE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TOMMOROW. CUZ WHAT YOU DID YESTURDAY, MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TODAY!" --unknown:workout:

Guest looza37

Melissa

Hey girl! I'm here to offer you some advice on your situation. I've been a trainer for a few years and got my b.s. in kinesiology/exercise science last year, so hopefully some of what I have to say will assist you on your goals. Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce any area of your body by exercising it more than the rest. what I would suggest is to do some pilates to strengthen your core (tummy, buns, hips, low back) and keep up with the cardio. where you lose your weight and when is a big lousy genetics game:ugh: but consistent exercises (pilates) will tone the area creating a more pleasing appearance.

good luck to you on your goals!

~Heidi

Melissa

Hey girl! I'm here to offer you some advice on your situation. I've been a trainer for a few years and got my b.s. in kinesiology/exercise science last year, so hopefully some of what I have to say will assist you on your goals. Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce any area of your body by exercising it more than the rest. what I would suggest is to do some pilates to strengthen your core (tummy, buns, hips, low back) and keep up with the cardio. where you lose your weight and when is a big lousy genetics game:ugh: but consistent exercises (pilates) will tone the area creating a more pleasing appearance.

good luck to you on your goals!

~Heidi

Welcome, Heidi! It's good to have someone with your backround on our Boards.

The only thing I have to add as far as Melissa's post is to continue weight training for your entire body, but perhaps focus more attention on your upper body. While you can't "spot reduce" your fat-stores, you CAN spot-build up your musculature (the idea behind rehab). Sometimes building up another area (like your upper back, arms, and shoulders) can "balance" out your overall appearance, which helps minimize the visual impact of your "problem area" (i.e. lower back and hips) (This is actually the idea behind bodybuilding - to create a balanced physique) This won't necessarily impact the way your clothes fit around your hips(Pilates and cardio will help with that),but will make you feel better when you look in the mirror. It DOES take time, and concentrated effort (we're talking months here), but it is another option you might consider.

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Thanks ladies.

I really better get my butt in gear and start working out my body.

Thanks for listening and replying.

Melissa

1st goal: 120lbs

Goal weight: 105lbs

"WHAT YOU DO TODAY, WILL MAKE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TOMMOROW. CUZ WHAT YOU DID YESTURDAY, MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TODAY!" --unknown:workout:

Just think, Melissa - if you have sexy shoulders arms, and, ahem, pecs, who'll be looking at your hips and lower back!? (You could always stand hip-deep in the water!)

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

LMAO Jennifer! Good advice!

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07