Health Discovery Network
rincaro

Taco Bake - loved by the whole family!

Taco Bake

1 1/2 recipes-worth of Core'n Bread (as listed below)

1.5 cups cornmeal

3/4 cup Cream of Wheat, uncooked

1.5 cups ff sour cream

3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1.5 tsps baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup splenda (I'm using less cause this isn't a sweet recipe)

3 tsp olive oil

3 eggs

3/4 cup ff evaporated milk

Mix all ingredients together. Spread into a cookie sheet (I used my pampered chef stone) with higher edges. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

In the meantime get the taco toppings ready.

1 cup tvp (textured vegetable protein)*

1.5 cups water

1 packet taco seasoning

1 can fat-free refried beans

1 8 oz. package finely shredded fat-free cheddar

Diced tomatoes

Shredded lettuce

Fat-free sour cream

Salsa

*You can use your own lean protein source that's core instead of the tvp, but we're vegheads. Plus the tvp is cheap and extremely high in fiber and protein.

Boil the water, mix in the tvp and seasoning, cover and set aside for 15 minutes to rehydrate. Warm up the beans.

When the crust is ready, spread the beans evenly over the crust. Top with half the ff cheese. Next carefully sprinkle/spread on the seasoned tvp (or meat). Finish off with the rest of the ff cheese.

Return to the 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Serve slices with ff sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, and salsa. Or any other core taco topping you like. My boys are scarfing down seconds as I type!

Guest luvs2sellit

Wow!! this sounds great! I am a Pampered Chef consultant and I am always looking for great WW recipes to share at my shows. thanks!

I made this again tonight and decided the crust should be thinner. So I just used a single batch of core'n bread with the splenda completely omitted. Very yummy!

How many servings does this make? I was wondering if I could break it down for one serving....curse of living alone.

Kelley

HW/SW/CW/WWG/PGW

184/169/151.0/155/149

WWG 11/02/05

Hmmm... I make it in an 11x16 stoneware cookie sheet. I cut it into 16 pieces, so they are about 2 3/4 x 4 inches. I usually eat two pieces, but sometimes three. My husband and my growing sons tend to eat 3-4 pieces.

Guest sally55

The taco bake was excellent!! My husband & I had it for dinner last night and will have for dinner again tomorrow. It was very filling.

Guest SweetKisses03

I made this tonight and it was really good! I didnt like the bread part but Im also not a fan of cornbread

I made this with just the 1 recipe of core n bread and no splenda.

It was great, the kids really liked it too. Thanks for sharing.

kim....HW 189.0..SW 10/17/14 187.0 CW 185.0~GW 150

made the recipe last night. We had a "Mexican" supper the night before and I used the leftovers for toppings. "Mom" and DH both liked it very much. We are having it again for lunch which is handy. One less thing to cook.

Next time I make the core'nbread, I will skip the Splenda, too sweet for my taste.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas on how to fix it.

:buddysmoo

Guest sunshinegirl2006

I made this for dinner tonight and it was AWESOME!! DBF said to me "this is my new favorite dinner...no, actually...cola chicken is still my favorite but this definitely comes in at #2!" LOL!! :D

I used Laura's lean beef (4% fat) and cheddar soy cheese...it was soooo good and I have tons of leftovers for the weekend!!

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

OMG!!! Made this last night - wow!

I've been jonesing for mexican lately but I just can't bear to spend the points on it- this totally did the trick! And so filling!

It's weird tho, the copy of the recipe that I emailed myself months ago had the single batch of Corn bread - so that's what I made - in a disposable tin cookie sheet.

It came out great!

Also no splenda.

I also sprinkled some chopped pickled jalepeno's on it before the last layer of cheese - yum!

Thanks for a great recipe!

N :bcb_salut

Nan-see :)

Friday is WI!

weight.png

Ok everyone has great things to say about this one so I will try it on Friday!!

Has anyone figured out the pts per serving and how many servings for the whole recipe?

Thank you!!

EDIT: my bad it says it is in the core sections... sorry about the pts question.

http://www.myspace.com/leebj

WW Stats (For Life)

(HW) 205.0

(SW) 199.0

(GW) 140.0

(CW) 178.8

Started WW 11-30-06

Made my 10% on 3-1-07 :bcb_up

I used one of those tin disposable cookie sheets with the lip on it and cut it into 6 squares (maybe they are 4" x 4"?)

DBF and I tend to eat small portions - and one square was plenty (but i made a bowl of guac to go with it too).

I guess it depends on if you make 1 or 1 1/2 cornbread recipes. I liked the thickness of the crust with 1 recipe - came out to a little over a 1/2 inch thick.

Delicous!

Friday is WI!

weight.png

This recipe sounds fantastic. Where can I find TVP in the store? Is it refrigerated? I am just looking for the section of the store. Thanks so much.

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

This recipe sounds fantastic. Where can I find TVP in the store? Is it refrigerated? I am just looking for the section of the store. Thanks so much.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=396

it's usually in the section with the other Bob's Red Mill products..

Jodee SW: 223 CW: 177 PW:178.5 GW:??

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Mmmmm, sounds yum.

Thank you.

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Definitely on the menu! Thanks for taking the time to post it for us! :bcb_smile

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

oh yeah, i also used ground sirloin - i can't talk dBF into the tvp... oh well!

Friday is WI!

weight.png

Mariemorgan - many thanks for the link - I never knew what it looked like. I know exactly where to find it in the store now.

Live, laugh, love and be happy.

Starting Weight: 237

Current Weight: 203.5

My Goal Weight: 180

Thank you so much for this recipe. It was wonderful (I had to stop myself after one piece) and I brought leftovers to work and I can't wait for lunch. It was HUGE and there are only 2 of us so I cut in half after baking and wrapped half in foil to freeze in hopes that I can bake it again later ala frozen pizza. I will let you know how that goes.

I added a can of mexicorn between the beans and meat and it added a little kick. I orginally meant to add it to the crust mixture but I forgot:bcb_worry . I had my peice with onions, black olives and guac. My husband added tomatoes, lettuce and salsa but thought the crust was a little thick. I will downsize the crust to 1 instead of 1.5 like many have suggested when I make it again (and I will make it again). Is it lunch time yet?

Thanks again for the great idea :bcb_bravo

I have made this like Once a weeks since starting core over a month ago, and It is sooooooooo good! My picky fiance even REQUESTS this! I serve it for company and they would never know the difference! LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!

Nicki HW 284.0/SW 246.6/CW 246.0/GW 184

LIFETME- 5/5/07 (lost 100 lbs)

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!