Health Discovery Network
pearshape85

Exercise In The Bedroom

HI everyone,

I need to find some exercises that I can do in my room since this is the only place I have privacy to exercise at home. I have resistance bands and those heavy little pilates balls. Does anyone have any online links they can suggest so I can do them on a exercise mat at home... I am also limited for space and do not have a TV or DVD player in my room:( So thanks in advance!! I also want to find something I can fit in at home between gym days and so that I don't cause any chaos to the rest of the house by using the family room since there is always someone home...thanks!!!

:angel

SW 137.5 CW 130.0 GW 120

It would really help if you could get a TV in your bedroom. Walk Away the Pounds are great videos and require very little space. Also, maybe you could do some stretching exercises. Crunches in your bed. Do you have any weights? Maybe some simple weight lifting -- great exercise for the arms. If all else fails, there's the beautiful outdoors. Walking is great exercise and you don't need any special equipment. :work_out:

~ * ~ * ~Judy ~ * ~ *

(last updated - 03/25/07

CW: 185

Goal: 140

Check the exercise reference thread at the top of the page. There is an on the road FIRM workout at that should give you some ideas for exercise in your bedroom.

I'm sure there are sites that will give you ideas for the resistance bands and weights, but I don't know of any, sorry.

Tiffany - My Pictures

Conceive * Believe * Achieve

Don't give up... don't ever give up

HW234/SW220/CW199.8/GW135

ONEderland - 6/6/05

1st 10% - 6/13

2nd 10% - 11/7

50 lb loss! - 1/30/06

Re-Start - 9/18/07

~ ~ *~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

I exercise in the tiniest bedroom space I've ever seen. I do the WATP series and it works great in a small space.

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Exercises you can do with ONLY Bands:

Legs:

a) Inner/Outer Thigh: Loop a band around your bed leg (or dresser leg) and tie the ends together. Step one foot into the loop and stand sideways to your anchor point. Step away from your anchor with the foot inside the band until you feel the slightest resistance. This is your starting point. Now, press OUT and AWAY from your anchor point. If the band is on the outside of your ankle, you work your hip abductors (outer hip muscles). If it is on the inside of your ankle, you work your hip abbductors (inner thigh muscles). Do 2 sets of 30 on each side. (I like to alternate).

b) Gluteals: Stand FACING your anchor point, with the band around the back of your heel. Now KICK backward, keeping your leg straight.

c) WHOLE LEG: Do ONE-LEGGED squats. Stand about 3 feet from the edge of your bed, facing outward. Now, reach BACK with one foot and place it on the bed, letting your toes and arch rest FLAT on the bed. Get your balance, and now SQUAT on your forward leg until your thigh is parallel to the ground...BUT DON"T let your knees go in front of your toes. If it does, you need to "hop" your front foot out farther from the bed a bit more. (You may need to hold onto something for balance when you firts try these!) Trust me - these are killers

CHEST: Lie on your back on the floor with the band under your shoulder blades, ends on either side of your body. Grab the ends (keep and choke up as needed for resistance. Now press UP. Do 2 sets of 15

BACK: Stand on the midpoint of the band, feet fairly close together, and hold the ends of the band in each hand. Bend over about 45 degrees. Choke up for resistance and then ROW UP, aiming your elbows toward the ceiling, palms facing inward. This will hit your upper back.

SHOULDERS: Stand (or kneel, if standing is too much resistance) on the midpoint of the band, grab the ends, and, keeping your arms STRAIGHT, raise them straight out to the side (these are called "lateral raises). Or, you can raise them straight out to the front (called "front raises") You can do these with your Pilates balls as well. Really hits the shoulders.

BICEPS: Stand on the band midpoint with either one foot (easier) or two feet (harder - harder still if you spread your feet apart on the band), grab the band ends and do bicep curls. You can do regular, rotating, or even hammer curls this way.

TRICEPS: Stand, holding the ends in each hand. Raise your arms straight out to your sides, but bend your elbows inward with your hands by your armpits. Choke up for resistance and then, Keeping your elbows out to your sides, push your hands out as far as you can - try to get your arms fully extended straight out to your sides, and DON'T LET YOUR ELBOWS MOVE. This really targets your triceps. Or, you can stand on the band, hold the ends, bend over a bit, and do tricep kickbacks. Or sit on the band and do overhead extensions.

For abs and lower back, you can do many variations of crunches, and back extensions on your floor, with or without a mat (you can always use a towel if needed).

For cardio, in a small space, your best bet is a step of some sort. It's easy to set up, take apart, and store. I too recommend getting a small combo TV/VCR. You can get these at BJ's, SAM's Club and the like for less than $100 nowadays. (Or try some garage sales or even eBay!) Even if you don't have TV reception, you can always use the videos and DVDs you can find at your library, garage sales, eBay or Netflix.

Good luck,

Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Thank you soo much for your suggestions...I will definitely try these moves out... I'll keep you updated!!! Thanks!!

:angel

SW 137.5 CW 130.0 GW 120