Health Discovery Network
ginnyb

"Save My Life" veggie salad

I made this last night and had some for lunch today. Absolutely fantastic!

I didn't have the red bell pepper, so I used some roasted red peppers (not in oil) from a jar and chopped those. I left the tomatoes out so it would last longer. Nice and crunchy and no need for dressing (which I usually want!). I agree - this will be a staple, especially in the summer!

Thanks for the recipe!

HW: 334

SW: 328 1/12/09

CW: 328 1/12/09

GW: 165

OMG, I made this for a cookout this past weekend and served it plain with Newman's Lite Sweet Vidalia Onion dressing on the side. People flipped over it, and most of them didn't even see the dressing to put on it. I have been eating it at every meal since, it is so good leftover. I plan on making this every weekend and varying the veggies for variety! Thank you for giving me a new salad option!

[color=seagreen][/color]

I made this, but instead of dressing, I sprinkled some seasoning called "Salad Jazz" chili lime. Tasty! It was really good and is only 5 cal per Tsp. A serving of the veggies doesnt't need much more than that! I bet it would be really good with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice on top... hmmmm thinking for next time.

PJ:exercise:

'cause I wanna see my kids grow up!

SW 315

High weight while pregnant 300

CW 278

Down 12lbs so far

Working on getting back down to thin!

It might be the dead of winter here in Wisconsin but this salad sounds so good I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe and great tips!!

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

I made up this salad the first summer I started WW's. I was never without a container of it in my frig. until last year. Well, I didn't have a very successful year as far a weight loss goes, so now I'm back on track and the "Save My Life" Veggie Salad is back in my frig.!!! I have also started keeping zero point soup on hand at all times. I add some type of protein to mine making it 1 point soup, but it is also a life saver.

Try this salad, buddies. You can alter some of the ingredients to your liking, but this is a great way to get your veggies and fight hunger at the same time!!

ginnyb

"The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

I cannot find the recipe- where is it and what am I doing wrong??? Is it an attachment? Help- I feel really dumb!

Go to the last page of post (which is really the first page) the recipe will be at the bottom of the page....I had the same question when I first joined the site! This is a GREAT recipe and so versitle. I also like alot of zuccini in it. Takes time to chop everything but well worth the effort.

Deb

SW-198

CW-170.4 8/15/08

GW-155

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..."

This truely did save my life. I had no points on Friday and went home and made this salad and I am hooked. I made two big batches and it was gone last night. My DB loves it I love it, its great for snacking on. I omit the beans for him because he doesn't like them but I throw in a few in my bowl for the fiber. I am so glad I found this on this site it's great. I used Honey Dijon ff dressing.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

Another good dressing for this salad that has a Mexican flair is to add some salsa, lime juice, fresh chopped cilantro and some sweetener. I like to eat it on baked tortillas for a quick lunch.

I am SOOOOO glad that this salad has become so popular with so many of my buddies!!

I had 2 co-workers and 4 WW leaders/workers rave about this after they FINALLY tried it!!

You can do so much with this salad, other than what I suggested, but it really is a life-saver!! And I still keep it in my frig at all times!!!

Try it, experiment with new ways to use it, and post it here!! It's just a great way to get in your veggies, fiber, and fill you up all at once!!

ginnyb

"The only one who can stop me is me---and I can take her!"

ginnyb (aka loves2cook!) "It's not the falling down, it's the staying down!!"

I too had never tried this but kept it in the back of my mind for years. I just recently recommitted again too. I was at WalMart and I saw the Ken's Light Vidalia Onion salad dressing and it made me think of this recipe. I had to search to find this recipe again and I am so glad I did.

I made a batch of this the last 2 weekends and I ate on it all week. It makes a lot!! I left out the tomatoes and just added some dressing each time I ate it. I never had to drain it.

I also put about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of it over the lettuce on my salads too, which is a quick and easy way to add some crunch and taste. I LOVE the Onion dressing and am so glad I found it. It is my new favorite dressing. I may have to try that salsa idea too. This recipe will definitely be a staple around my house! You gotta try this one if you haven't already!! :bcb_bigsm

Janice

Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.

This is always in my fridge.This is what I use to make it.

2 or 3 cans of drained beans, kidney,garbanzo,white or black

1 or 2 large chuncked green & yellow zuchinni (doesn't get soggy)

small dice onion

medium diced peppers, red,green or yellow.....or some of each

1-2 celery stalks,diced

Put all ingreds in a large covered container.I shake on garlic powder,italian seasoning & S&P to taste.

Then add rice vinegar....maybe 1/4th C to start. Mix well, taste after a couple hrs in fridge & adjust seasonings.

Good with crackers for lunch,on lettuce salad,even added to diet soup.I often add diced tomato when ready to eat,but not to the bowl & if for a meal....you can add some mozzarella or grated parmesan,even tuna or chicken.So good. PL

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

I made this lastnight for a dinner. Everyone was skeptical and took small spoonfuls at first. I felt really bad, thinking nobody liked it. I returned from a trip to get more water and they had refilled their plates with it! It is SO good! Thank you!!

*Melissa*

SW- 177

CW- 143 *
Lifetime Member - 8/13/08 - GETTING BACK THERE

"Adding calories to a bad day will not make it any better!!"

Guest michaeldennis83

Awesome. It's just missing some sunflower seeds!

-Michael

My fav Celebrity Food page.

Yes, I have loved this salad, also. However, I have run it through a recipe calculator and it is one point per serving (without salad dressing). It is an error to think that it is a "free food" or no point food. The beans and corn knock the calories up to much. Now, if you are doing Core, it is all core.

Saved my diet salad

2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped

3 tomatoes, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

½ large sweet onion, chopped

½ red pepper, chopped

½ green pepper, chopped

1 can black beans, drained & rinsed (I like Mrs. Grimes)

1 can corn, drained

• Servings Per Recipe: 11
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 86.8

• Total Fat: 0.7 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 79.0 mg
  • Total Carbs: 17.7 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.6 g
  • Protein: 4.4 g

This does not include the salad dressing of your choice.

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

I use rice vinegar for my dressing & squash in place of cukes.Squash isn't watery.I add seasonings of my choice,always Italian & garlic powder,black pepper.PL

Yes, I have loved this salad, also. However, I have run it through a recipe calculator and it is one point per serving (without salad dressing). It is an error to think that it is a "free food" or no point food. The beans and corn knock the calories up to much. Now, if you are doing Core, it is all core.

Saved my diet salad

2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped

3 tomatoes, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

½ large sweet onion, chopped

½ red pepper, chopped

½ green pepper, chopped

1 can black beans, drained & rinsed (I like Mrs. Grimes)

1 can corn, drained

• Servings Per Recipe: 11
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 86.8

• Total Fat: 0.7 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 79.0 mg
  • Total Carbs: 17.7 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.6 g
  • Protein: 4.4 g

This does not include the salad dressing of your choice.

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

Ok, I just finished eating a bowl of this, and WOW! I was skeptical at first, and never thought my picky eight year old daughter would touch it, but she loves it too!! I didnt have any tomatoes on hand, so I drained a can of diced tomatoes, and added those. Yummy! Thanks for an awesome recipe! This will come in very handy this summer!

weight.png

i eat this on top of 1/2 cup brown rice...very very filling and stays with you.

I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174

current weight 161

recommittment loss 3 pounds

Guest bunnykins81

I made it this week and me and my DH loved it!!! Will definetly keep this on hand for the future. :bcb_bigsm

I packed a big batch of this into our cooler to take to the beach and it was wonderful! I made my own dressing using red wine vinegar and splenda. I also added some cilantro. Yummy! Thanks for posting this!!

2 cucumbers- peeled, seeded and chopped

3 stalks of celery- chopped

1/2 large sweet onion- chopped

1/2 red bell pepper- chopped

1/2 green bell pepper- chopped

1 can of black beans- drained and rinsed

1 can of corn

chopped up cilantro - use amount that suits your taste

1 cup (or less depending on your taste) of red wine vinegar

3/4 cup of splenda

salt and pepper to season

SW:189.2

CW:180.8

GW:145

I have found that you can cut the splenda completely out and not miss it. Now, I love sweet things, but it really isn't necessary to me.

I always have this salad in the refrig. I change it up each time I make it. It really is a keeper!

*Irene* Thin for Life: Yes!

OMG...I have to tell you. I made this salad on Sunday and just love it!!! Even my son had some of it, which is great. I use different salad dressings depending on my mood and I find it convenient and quick and because I don't have to spend so much time on prep everyday, it makes it easy to take for lunch and get my veggies in.

Thanks for the recipe. I know this one I will use on a regular basis.

Ann

RSW 200/CW 185.6/GW 130

Weight Lost WW: 14.4

Weight Lost Before WW: 5 lbs

Total Weight Lost: 19.4

Short Term Goal - 5 lbs (brings me to 185)

"Many of life's failures are by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison