Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
remindsmeofmydog

Creamy Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese

I made this for dinner tonight and loved it! I left out the garlic and use 95% fat-free cream cheese instead of the 1/3 less fat. I also only made half of the recipe. This is yummy stuff!! Definitely a keeper for me! :D The recipe is posted as it was originally published. If you make any alterations you'll need to make adjustments to the nutritional information.

Creamy Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese (from Cooking Light)

4 cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 1/4 cups fat-free milk

1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic

1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.

While pasta cooks, place flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Drop cream cheese by teaspoonfuls into milk mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Combine pasta and cheese sauce in a large bowl; toss well.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING

CALORIES 252(29% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 5.1g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 14.5g; CHOLESTEROL 27mg; CALCIUM 312mg; SODIUM 536mg; FIBER 1.1g; IRON 1.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.9g

Jayne

---

Guest Dutch

Sounds really good,but how many points is this.I would like to try it.

Based on the nutritional information provided I check it out on my slider and this looks like 6 points per serving...hope this helps...:)

I had made this about a month ago. I wound up with way too much cheese mixture so I only used about 1/3 - 1/2, along with all the noodles. I also used the FF cream cheese - you could never tell the difference. I would warn you I found it to be a bit too "mustardy" taste. If you don't want that, I would try only 1 tsp. first - you can always add more. It is not your typical Mac & Cheese recipe because of this but is quite good.

Kim

Knowledge is POWER.

SW: 198.4; CW: 166; GW: 155.0

Guest AngieM

I've been a lurker on this message board for quite a while, but I finally registered today just so I could say that I thought this recipe was delicious. :) I used the Barilla Plus pasta which has added fiber (and other stuff) that would bring this down to 5 points a serving. Thanks for posting it, remindsmeofmydog! I'm hoping to have leftovers for dinner tonight, too. It made a LOT of mac and cheese. Yum!

Angie