Health Discovery Network
rincaro

The tofu thread!

Whether you're a veghead or not, tofu is a great thing to add to your Weight Watchers eating. First - it's core. Second - it's very low point, like 1 to 2 points per serving depending on the type and how you fix it.

We eat a lot of tofu around here. The first few times I made it, it was disgusting! Mushy, slimy, just plain gross. In the last couple of years though, I've learned a few tricks.

1. Drain it.

2. Press it. Slice it or dice it however you're gonna serve it. Lay it on fresh dish towel in an even layer. Lay another fresh dish towel on top of it. Use something heavy to press out the moisture. Leave it to press for at least 15 minutes.

3. Season it. Tofu doesn't taste like much of anything. But it will soak up the flavors you use in your recipe

I'm gonna do separate posts for some of our favorite tofu recipes.

Mmm. Tofu! LOVE tofu!

My favorite is just chopping them and throwing them into stir-fry or miso soup. :)

Started WW: 4/13/06

PeakW: 196

SW: 191.6

CW: 175.8

WWGW: 141.2

PGW: 125-130

1st 10 lbs: 5/18

Total lost since April 13: 15.8 lbs!

In a pinch I use the fantastic foods Tofu scrambler mix. Drain your tofu, press it, and then crumble it up and mix in the seasoning packet. Cook like scrambled eggs in a big frying pan.

But this is much tastier!

1/2 medium onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pkg firm tofu, drained, pressed, & crumbled

1/2 tsp turmeric (makes it yellow!)

2 tbsp braggs (soy sauce or tamari will work also)

1 tbsp. Olive oil or olive oil non-stick spray

Over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic until soft in the olive oil/spray in a large skillet. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl and then put it in with the onion/garlic mix. Cook until it is set and hot all the way through.

For the tofu I use, the whole block is 5 pts. The olive oil is three more points. The rest of it is free! So eight points for the whole big pan. Serves 4-6.

Vacon

1 block tofu, drained, pressed, & sliced into bacon size strips

Cooking spray

3 tbsp. braggs (or soy sauce or tamari)

1 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke

1/4 cup nutritional yeast

Cook tofu over medium heat in a big skillet until golden on both sides. Remove from heat. Stir together the braggs and the liquid smoke. Pour over the tofu strips and stir to coat. Return to heat. Stir in the nutritional yeast to coat the pieces.

Again my tofu is 5 pts. for the block, and nutritional yeast is 2 pts. for a quarter cup. So 7 pts. for the whole recipe. I usually try to get 14 slices out of the block so that two slices (a sandwich's worth) is 1 pt.

I'll be adding some other recipes later. I have "southern fried" tofu and tofu nuggets that I'm working on making core. :wave:

I also love mashing some of it up with tamari/soy sauce, shelled edamame, ginger, garlic, etc. in the food processor and stuffing dumpling skins. Delicious. :)

Other tofu things:

Tofu sandwiches (sounds plain, but is good): just slice it and sautee it with rooster sauce (either Thai or vietnamese hot sauce), spread ff sour cream on 2 slices of lite bread and throw the slices of tofu on it.

I actually like it plain in salads too.

My favorite by far, though, is tempeh rather than tofu. One serving of that fills me up for hours. It just feels so filling and warming and heavy!

Where do you buy liquid smoke? And what is nutritional yeast?

Started WW: 4/13/06

PeakW: 196

SW: 191.6

CW: 175.8

WWGW: 141.2

PGW: 125-130

1st 10 lbs: 5/18

Total lost since April 13: 15.8 lbs!

Liquid smoke is usually sold in the same aisle with the condiments/bbq sauce etc. It comes in a very small bottle as a little goes a long way.

Nutritional Yeast. This is the most common brand sold. I buy mine in bulk at Native Sun, which is a local health food store. Most good size health food stores will carry it. It has a cheesy kind of savory flavor to it. We use it in tons of recipes.

Guest NaomiRP

I like to buy extra firm tofu and drain it and then throw it in the freezer - I just take it out the morning I'm going to use it - freezing it makes it change texture completely - it is the craziest thing. It has a rougher, meatier texture than fresh tofu does. Then I just stirfry or roast it.

Another trick (learned from cooking at Whole Foods) is to drain it and cut it up and cook it at a low temperature for a really long time (this dries it out and makes it firmer)- like maybe 275 for 30 minutes and flip it for 30 more - that is a guesstimate, I just keep an eye on it and when it gets sort of brown it is time (but the underside browns, so you need to keep an eye on the bottom!)...then I marinate it in whatever and stirfry it...if I'm making a tofu vegetable stirfry, I do the tofu, take it out, do the veggies, and then throw the tofu in for the last few minutes - this ensures that it gets nice and brown.

One other favorite easy recipe is to brown onion, garlic, and cubed tofu, and then after everything is all browned, throw some premade BBQ sauce on it, however much you want. It is good, and again, because you browned the tofu first, the texture is so much better!

I never even order tofu at chinese places because I think I can do it so much better at home!

As Naomi mentioned -- we love to bake ours.

Pick your marinade - toss it into the oven for 30 minutes or so, and the textures go really firm.

Lemon pepper makes an excellent base for a sandwich spread.

Teriyaki - I serve "steak" style.

My husbands favorite - Vegan Fish Sticks - I can take no credit for the recipe - it can be found here Shmooed Food

Nicole

DD Josephine Kyle born March 10, 2005

"You did what you knew how to do. And when you knew better, You did better." - Maya Angelou.

Goal! November 2006

On the journey back.

Guest ryry8605

so do you marinade the tofu before you bake it? and if you bake it for like 30mins do you have to press and drain it?

For the tofu I use, the whole block is 5 pts. The olive oil is three more points. The rest of it is free! So eight points for the whole big pan. Serves 4-6.

what tofu do you use that is 5 pt a block? ^.^

i miss my favorite faux tuna salad from How It All Vegan ; ; too many points.

Guest starbrite

My family is obsessed with tofu, we eat atleast 2 boxes of it daily. Alot of our indian sabji's are made with paneer (indian cheese) so we use it instead to make it healthier.

A really simply way i prepare my tofu is. to add half a cup of water, a few sticks of tofu, and a sprinkle of salt. once it boils, turn it off, drain, and eat . the tofu is edible, a tiny bit salty, flavorful and took of all 2 minutes to make at most. i eat this on the side of anything almost.

another thing my mom does is stir fry it with some turmeric. add giant slices of green peppers, onions, some tomatoes, and u can decorate it as a nice appetizer. you can even cut it up into cubes,, put a nice dipping sauce, add some toothpicks in, and it's gorgeous.

if you google recipes to use with Paneer, you can substitute tofu in.

oh another recipe, add it into your roti/chapati. basically if your making an aloo roti, or any other filling roti, just add shredded tofu,onions, pepper,salt, .

Hi Guys,

I had some really nice tofu round a friends not long ago and i thought Employers Liability Insurance was really great, the problem however is that i can never make it where it isn't mushy :(

Does anyone have any tips for me???

Thanks

You have a choice between "firm" or "soft"...

Are you using "firm"? If not, you might want to try it. :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Nice thread.

I use firm tofu for most savory dishes (mori-nu is good for puddings/smoothies and such).

I grate the firm stuff for a nice texture: Scrambled Tofu is great with lemon/nut. yeast/ soy sauce/ onion and garlic.

I cook it covered for a while to let the tofu heat up, and then leave the lid of my frying pan off to let water evaporate.

Also, baked slices with something sour/salty and sweet are great. Some oil on the pan.

Cheers!

weight.png

weight.png

I haven't cooked with Tofu in aeons but after reading this thread and my WW mag I think I'll buy a block or two and drain it and keep in the freezer for whenever I feel the urge to cook with it...

Thanks guys!

weight.png

Guest maisiedotes

I am a chef and my last job was to prepare vegan and vegetarian food for a college and by far my all-time favorite tofu is SoyBoy extra firm organic. best texture EVER- it doesn't need to be frozen, pressed excessively, etc. I used to just drain it, give it a little squeeze with my hands, and use it. It is really hard to find around here, unfortunately, but I do think wholefoods has it.