Health Discovery Network
DebInMichigan

Fresh tomato and cheddar pasta

This was an all time favorite recipe pre-WW, and now I eat it at least twice a month...

FRESH TOMATO AND CHEDDAR PASTA

Ingredients:

2 - 4 large fresh tomatoes (I use Beefsteak)

2 large cloves of garlic, minced

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 tablespoon basil (or 2 leaves chopped fresh basil)

2 oz. 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese

1 cup Pasta (Spaghetti or Angel Hair work best)

Salt to taste

Directions:

1. Chop tomatoes into small chunks. Pour into a bowl, keeping all juice, seeds, etc.

2. Once tomatoes are in a bowl mash them with a fork. It will become very juicy, that is good.

3. Next, add the chopped onions, garlic, and basil to the tomatoes. Mix it all together, and add salt to taste (I add 1-2 tablespoons). Cover, and chill for at least 1 hour to blend flavors.

4. Chop the 2 ounces of cheese into mini cubes (the more cubes, the merrier) Add the cheese to the tomatoe mixture, while you cook the pasta.

5. Cook 2 ounces of dry pasta to make 1 cooked cup of pasta.

6. Mix it all together and enjoy!

8 points for the entire recipe

251.6/235.4/229 Getting Back on track and sticking to it! :exercise2

"If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Deb, do you keep the tomatoe mixture cold, and put it in with the cooked (warm) pasta? or do you heat up the tomato mixture?

Tish

Onward and Downward

Tish, I know it may sound odd, but yes... I keep the tomato mixture cold, and then when the spaghetti is done, I add the warm pasta to the cool tomato and cheese, and it becomes warm... it makes the cheese a warm consistancy, but not melted, and brings the tomatoes to room temperature.

It is delicious!

"If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

This sounds different and I think I will try it for lunch tomorrow for DH :buddysmoo and myself. I had bought some tomatoes to make tomato sandwiches, but DH turned his nose up at that. I have some Cabot Cheddar and plenty of Barilla Plus Pasta. I'll let you know how it turns out.

:bcbsaluteMT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

MT- I hope you like it... it is truly a fave with my family!

Thanks Deb! I'm going to make some this weekend too, a big batch, so I'll have leftovers to munch on.

Tish

Onward and Downward

Tish- Let me know how you like it!

Deb~ This was a fantastic recipe! I added 2 oz. of pasta and made it with Barilla Plus Spaghetti (which is one point lower than regular spaghetti). The total came out to 10 points, which got divided into 2 lunch servings for DH and me. This is such a refreshing and simple recipe and I can easily make it ahead of time for lunches during the week! Thanks for posting it!!

:bcbsalute MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

Moody gave us our first endorsement! I think I have some Barilla Plus at home, thanks for the reminder about it. Deb, I'll make it this weekend and sure will let you know.

Tish

Onward and Downward

MT- I am so glad you liked it! Like I say, I eat it all the time when tomatoes are in season. It is my favorite meal :D

Tish- ENJOY!

I especially loved the fresh basil smell! It was really good. DH says he would take it to work for lunch also. That's another plus! Thanks again!

:bcbsalute MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

Ok, I'm going to make this. I have fresh tomatoes, fresh onion, and fresh basil growing in the garden.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

This recipe is also really good using more fresh basil and fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes, instead of cheddar. I add a dash of seasoned salt, pepper and a tsp. or so of EVOO and let the mixture marinate at room temperature for a few hours, then toss it with the cooked spaghetti. It's my favorite summer dish!

Anne

Anne- I mix up my cheese as well, and also like it with mozarella, but cheddar is my favorite so I posted the recipe that way. My mom likes it with a lot of basil in hers as well... I like a little :o I agree though, I LOVE this dish! It is really fun to experiment with!

By the way, what is Evoo?

Kurly- If I took it in my lunch, I would leave it out of the refridgerator (or at least try to take it out 1/2 hr early to warm-up) and eat it at room temp. My sis eats it cold though, so I am sure you could experiment with it that way.

Guest MiShY1025

This is awesome :jump_jack

Mishy- Glad you liked it!!!

MT- Thanks! LOL! I feel like an idiot! ;)

Deb, I finally got this made last night. Actually, I was going to make it over the weekend, but it got up to 106 both days and I just didn't feel up to cooking. So last night it was. It is so good! A light, tasty summertime dish! I'm going to keep this on hand for the rest of this summer. Thanks so much again!:kiss:

Kurly, I check out your web site. You have a lot of interesting things there and I'll be checking back frequently.

Tish

Onward and Downward

Tish- Glad you finally got a chance to make it! That's what I love about the dish, it is definately light, and when the heat is upon us, it does not weigh heavily on the belly! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Deb

*bump*

A really good recipe. I've made it several times this summer and have some for breakfast. I do add some olive oil so it won't be too dry.

Tish

Onward and Downward

Guest mochalattekona

I made this yesterday..let it set up all night. I did not use any cheese just the healthygourmet pasta which is 2pts for 2oz dry.

I just counted it for 2 pts for my serving as I only used fresh tomoatoes, garlic, basil, S & P. Once it set up all night it was very juicy and I just spooned it over the pasta.

Def a keeper in my fridge.

Sandy, I frequently have this as a cold salad in the summertime. Very good for that.

Tish

Onward and Downward