Health Discovery Network
andip67

Pizzagna

I love watching the food network and trying to think of how I can make the dishes WW friendly. The other day Rachael Ray made this pizzagna - pizza & lasagna combo - that looked so good I had to try adjusting it to WW and it turned out really good.

1/2 pound whole wheat pasta curls

Salt

1/2 cup ff ricotta cheese

1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (I used regular parmesan)

Handful parsley, finely chopped

34 pieces sliced hormel turkey pepperoni, cut into thin strips

1/2 green or red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced

1/2 onion, quartered then thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, sliced

6 crimini mushrooms (baby portabellos), thinly sliced

Black pepper

1 (14.5-ounces) can crushed tomatoes

2 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced (you can use part skim but I found the cals, fat & fiber of the fresh & the part skim were almost identical)

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat broiler.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, add pasta and salt the water.

While the water boils combine ricotta, Parmigiano, parsley and pepperoni in a large bowl and reserve.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with spray with cooking spray. Then add the peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms. Saute 6 to 8 minutes until tender and mushrooms are dark. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Add 1/2 a ladle of starchy cooking water to the ricotta just before you drain the pasta. Drain pasta then toss with ricotta and pepperoni mixture. Pour pasta into a baking dish and top evenly with peppers, onion and mushroom sauce. Top with a layer of mozzarella, oregano and red pepper flakes. Place under hot broiler and melt cheese until golden and bubbly.

This makes 6 servings at 6 points a serving and it really does taste like pizza and lasagna mixed together.

Andrea

Weight loss isn't about willpower or motivation; it's just the cumulative effects of tiny actions over time. - DietGirl

I saw this recipe on Rachael Ray's show - (I really like her show), and was thinking that it could easily be converted to WW and Core. Thanks for doing it for me!

Christine :) :)

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

I saw this show when I was on vacation and made a mental note to grab the recipe when I came home. Thanks for posting and for doing the alterations. It really looked interesting, even DH :buddysmoo said he would like it!

:bcbsalute MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

I too saw that on food network and thought it could become Core easily. :)

Thanks for your modifications. Sounds good.

Started WW: 4/13/06

PeakW: 196

SW: 191.6

CW: 175.8

WWGW: 141.2

PGW: 125-130

1st 10 lbs: 5/18

Total lost since April 13: 15.8 lbs!