Health Discovery Network
LindaB763

Eggplant Ideas

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix eggplant other than fried? I'm clueless! :confused:

SW: 210 :bcb_yuck:

CW: 155 :bcb_bigsm

GW: 150 :goal:

Guest ShrinkingDaisy

Have you ever tried it baked? Roasted? Grilled? Or made into a dip for other vegs? I love most things made with eggplant!

Everyone says it's great grilled, but mine came out very bitter when I did it that way. My zucchini was fine just grilled. I'd also suggest baked.

EmmaJean:wave:

GETTING FAMILY SUPPORT:jump_jack

Look up ratatouille recipes made with eggplant, zuchini, onions, peppers and maybe mushrooms. If the recipe uses oil just use enough for a good oil serving or don't use any- you don't need that much- and it will be 0 pts

look up baba ganoush recipes- this is a spread like hummous

Good Luck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

I eat eggplant weekly I love it!! I make it a couple different ways. I make stuffed eggplant: cut eggplant in half take insides of the eggplant out leaving a shell of the eggplant to stuff.

While cooking on the stove I warm oven to 350 and pop the eggplant shells in the oven for a head start skin side down sprayed with pam or a little oil in a casserole dish.

In frying pan add:

olive oil

cubed insides of eggplant

garlic

diced tomatoes

brown rice (1 c) 4 pts

(if you want less points you can also stuff with summer squash)

about 1/4c egg beaters when the above is soft (1 pt)

sauce

Place eggplant skin side down on a sprayed casserole dish. Stuff and top with ff shredded cheese and sauce. Bake covered for about 35 mins take off last 5 mins..yum!!

I also just skin and dice eggplant cut up green peppers add to frying pan with a little olive oil or pam cook til soft. I eat this alone or mix with pasta. VERY filling!

slice eggplant the long way spray with pam coat with bread crumbs layer in a casserole dish spraying bottom of the dish first. little bit of sauce, row of eggplant sprinkle parm cheese and continue topping with parm cheese on last layer cover and bake 350 45mins taking top off last 5 mins cook until brown on top. You can also substitue parm cheese with ff moz shredded cheese.

hope this helps a bit:)

I eat eggplant every single day! I put it in my sandwich (which I religiously take to lunch!!) Here's what I do:

Take a fresh eggplant and cut it in thin slices. Spray a pan with Pam and let the slices of eggplant cook for about 3-4 min on each side. I just keep checking them and take them off once they are slightly brown on each side. Sometimes I put a little salt and pepper on too. Then I add it to my sandwich (which is a process in itself)......Here's what I put on:

-2 slices of WW Rye bread (1 point)

-spicy mustard - (0 points)

-sliced fresh zucchini (0 points)

-Healthy Choice turkey or ham (the one in the green plastic container is 7 slices for 1 point!)

-eggplant - (0 points)

-lettuce (0 points)

It makes a HUGE sandwich for 2 points! Sometimes I add peppers, or onions. Pretty much anything that is in my fridge. BUT, the kicker is the eggplant! Sooooooo good! Hope this helps you out some!

Keira :wave:

Guest ShrinkingDaisy

fluffy.girl--GREAT ideas here! I'm going to have to try the stuffed eggplant. I love to make a meatless meal at least once a week and always need ideas that my DS's might eat.

Kiwibum--sounds like a yummy sandwich!

Thanks for all the replies! They sound great. Never would have thought about putting it on a sandwich!

SW: 210 :bcb_yuck:

CW: 155 :bcb_bigsm

GW: 150 :goal:

I peel and slice lengthwise (1/4"). Dip in egg beaters and then into Panko bread crumbs (found in the Japanese section of the grocery store). Spray a baking sheet with PAM and bake the slices til done and crispy. Layer it with red sauce and light cheese to make a parmesan casserole.

5'2" SW-144.0 CW-136 GW-129.0

OK. I've posted this before, but this is my very favorite way to make eggplant. I'm sure you will enjoy this.

Donna

Eggplant Parmesan

by Chef Patsy Jamieson

Eggplant Parmesan EatingWell's makeover of a traditional eggplant Parmesan recipe

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 eggplants (about 2 pounds total)

* 3 egg whites

* 3 tablespoons water

* 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs

* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce), divided

* 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves

* 2 1/2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce, see recipe below, or prepared marinara sauce

* 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)

* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

* Freshly ground pepper to taste

Makes 6 servings

1. Preheat oven to 400̊F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. To prepare eggplant: Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Whisk egg whites with water in a shallow dish until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper in another shallow dish. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg whites, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. (Discard any leftover egg white and breadcrumbs.) Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.

3. Bake the eggplant slices for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes more.

4. To assemble casserole: Stir basil into tomato sauce. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the prepared baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly. Spoon 1 cup of the remaining sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Layer on the remaining eggplant and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.

5. Bake the casserole, at 400̊F uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 to 25 minutes.

Chef Patsy Jamieson notes: EatingWell's makeover of a traditional eggplant Parmesan recipe trimmed 50 grams of fat from each serving! The key to lightening this classic is to make a meatless version — the meaty quality of eggplant provides enough richness and body — and bake, rather than fry, the eggplant slices.

To make ahead: Prepare through Step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Reprinted by permission from EatingWell, The Magazine of Food & Health

© 2005 Eating Well Inc.

Basic Tomato Sauce

This simple but intensely flavored sauce can be used in many Italian recipes. Make a large batch and freeze in small containers for quick reheating.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

* 1 medium onion, finely chopped

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes or 3 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced

* 1 tablespoon tomato paste

* 1 teaspoon dried oregano

* Pinch of crushed red pepper

* Freshly ground pepper to taste

Makes about 5 cups

1. Heat oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.

2. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 to 60 seconds.

3. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano; mash with a potato masher.

4. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes cook down to a thick mass, 45 to 55 minutes. Season with pepper.

Recipe reprinted from The Essential EatingWell Cookbook, The Countryman Press, 2004

© 2005 Eating Well Inc.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Eggplant is one of my favorite foods. I have 2 great ways to cook it.

1. Cut it in circles, put a little garlic powder and parsley flakes on it.

2. Spray george forman grill with olive oil pam

3. Cook eggplant in grill till desired firmness.

4. I put this on salads or eat it just as is.

1. peel eggplant and cut into large cubes

2. Brown onion and garlic in fry pan with pam

3. Put eggplant cubes in on high heat and let sear.(you may need a little more pam but it works with the eggplant dry also)

4. when seared ( about 3-4 min) lower heat

5. add 1/2 can ff chicken broth and can of stewed tomatoes,and oregano

6. add any other veggie you like..mushrooms..zucchini what ever

7. cover and cook for about 20 min on low heat. ( you may need more broth)

8. when eggplant is soft or to what ever consistancy you like remove cover and let some of the liquid evaporte. ..enjoy

Diane

Guest Hadjii

I make eggplant "stacks". Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. You'll need 3-4 slices per stack. In between slices I put low fat ricotta, fresh spinach, low fat mozzarella (I guess you could use fat free cheeses but I just don't like the texture) and the lowest point spaghetti sauce I can find. I top it off with a slice of portabello mushroom and spice to your liking. Then place them in the broiler for about 15 mins and enjoy. They are heavenly.