Health Discovery Network
Guest Rasha

Question for marathon runners

Guest Rasha

I'm doing my first 5k on satuday (hopefully not in the rain) and I was just wondering if they normally have mile markers around the course. I know how far I can push myself but I'd like an idea when i'm close to the end so I can give it that extra umph ya know? :)

Any other words of wisdom? I'm rather nervous :)

Thanks!

MB

Hey Rasha,

5k races usually do have mile markers at each mile, but it depends on the race. Sometimes they have a person standing there calling out your times, but no sign. I have also seen nothing at mile one, and then a water station at mile 2. You could look at the race info you got. They usually tell you. Don't be nervous (although I still get a little nervous). I figure I'm there for myself and no one is really worried about my time because they're focused on their own. Have fun!!

Shawna

Shawna

Mom to Noah (2 years) and Ethan (6 months)

Current weight- 178

There was a digital sign showing your time, plus a guy standing there calling it out to you as you ran by at the one I ran. :wave:

• HW-142 CW-118
  • Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe.--Sumner Redstone

I think it depends on how big the race is. I've been in one where there was just a starting line, a turnaround station, and a finish line (with people at all 3 points). Even if your race is as basic as that, you should be able to see the finish line quite a ways before you get there. If you want, you can concentrate on running strong to the halfway point, then pushing just a little bit harder during that second half.

My only advice is to realize that there is really no need to feel nervous, even your first time. That said, I get nervous before every race, so don't feel like you're alone. :D Enjoy the excitement and high!

Darci :wave:

224.2/175/165

Started WW 4/18/05~~60+ pounds gone 11/15/06~~trouble maintaining, back on program 10/14/07

Guest Rasha

thanks for the info everyone! I can't help but be a little nervous! I'm sure it'll be fine tho :) Thanks again!

MB

We have a local 10K and a 2 mile fun run. The 10K meanders through some country roads and the parts that are on pavement, they have spray painted mileage markers on the road. (At the 5 mile mark, it even has a smiley face! Its still there when I walk the racecourse once a week.) I don't think they do anything for the 2 mile fun run, except they have people posted along the way at the turns to guide you.

You'll do great Rasha! Just remember to keep going at your own pace.

Lynne

SW: 241

CW: 214.8

Goal: 144

weight.png

I AM the Little Engine! I know I can!

Good luck.

I hope someday I might be brave enough to attempt a 5K or 10K race. Right now I am working on other issues. Then I will conquer that problem. I want to be a runner!!:work_out:

Grace

:kickbutt:

Back to WW for Good 8/6/2010

Guest Rasha
Good luck.

I hope someday I might be brave enough to attempt a 5K or 10K race. Right now I am working on other issues. Then I will conquer that problem. I want to be a runner!!:work_out:

I highly recommend the couch to 5k program. it's amazing how great it is :)

Guest travelingop

Rasha,

I second and third what everyone says about the mile markers. It depends on the race.

A good way to gauge what mile you are on, if there aren't markers is if you know your pace per mile. This should give you a guesstimation of where you might be at. I just did a 1/2 marathon and they started pulling down the 12mile sign as I was running along, even though I was still within the time perameters.. but still a bit slow. So, I just paced myself.

I can understand being nevous, because I even get nervous training for my long runs on the weekends. I'm not quite sure why. I always complete them and feel great when they are done. I have about a year of running under my belt with the completion of a marathon and half marathon, so hopefully with more time, my nerves will relax.

So my best bit of advice.. it just go out and have fun. Once you get running the excitment of race will carry you through!

Congrats on running.. Remember.. to finish is to win!

Elizabeth