Health Discovery Network
Guest MamaArdra

UGH! When's it going to work??

Guest MamaArdra

ok, this is my "this really sux" post... forgive me for coming in and griping hehe

i have been working my bum off for the past 4 weeks... 5 days a week for at LEAST 45 min in the gym... and im not talkin a chit chatty little ride on the bikes either... im talkin at LEAST 35 minutes of HARD sweating on the elliptical (within 3min im sweating like a pig!) burning a minimum of 350 calories according to the thing... not to mention the fact that my average heart rate on the darn thing is 148-158... needless to say im NOT slackin by any means...

then i follow it up with strength training... various body areas on different days (usually do this 3x/week just to give my poor body a break hehe) and again, not slackin here... i do 3 sets of 20 on each machine, and i do as much weight as i can stand to do that many times... so by the 20th on any given set im about to give out (read in fitness magazine that is the way to determine how much weight to use).

anywho... suffice to say i am pushing my body to the absolute limits here... heck, half the time i almost throw up as i leave the gym hehe but its a good feeling, ya know?

i am 100% OP foodwise. i count all my points and im usually a bit under when i figure in my AP and WPAs. but i always at least eat my daily 24 so i should be good there... (i do realize that if you eat too little weight loss slows)

my gripe? weight loss is SUCKING right now... i mean i know there's the whole "gaining muscle" thing and all, but come ON! hahaha you'd think the scale would move at least a little! sheesh

of course it is that TOM so perhaps that is part of it... but still, im having to fight the urge to be pissy about it. ya know?

oh well, i will keep on truckin and doing the right thing and eventually it will pay off, right?

thanks for letting me vent... if you have any helpful hints on how to boost things a bit or how to fool myself into thinking its all ok, please do tell! ehhe

Don't loose faith. Keep going and you will see results. I promise you will be rewarded. I was in the EXACT same situation as you and instead of giving up, I increased my rest periods, ate a little more food, and boom there is movement on the scales. In fact I went from loosing 3 pounds in 5 weeks to loosing 2 pounds in 1 week!!

Grace

:kickbutt:

Back to WW for Good 8/6/2010

Rachel,

The scale is only one measure that your fitness routine is "working." With such diligence you are no doubt stronger, faster and enjoying vastly improved cardio capacity, which is as important (perhaps more so) than weight loss. This is not to belittle your frustration with the scale (been there, done that) but to remind you that you should also exercise for a whole bunch of other reasons than to lose weight. In fact when you reach goal, I assume you plan to continue. Just trying to give you a glimpse of the bigger picture ....

As for busting plateaus, I am sure there have been thousands of threads on the subject and some enterprising poster will point you in the direction of one (are you eating all your APs, getting your healthy 8s, eating the right combination of food, etc?).

Great job on your accomplishments so far!

Pat

Bummer. We've all been in your shoes. The only thing I can think of is to review your food journals. I know you said you've been OP, but maybe you've been eating the same things over and over? Ruts can cause plateaus, too. And, are you getting enough calcium? (That's my biggest challenge, and I often don't eat enough dairy. In addition to the importance of calcium for nutrition, recent research supports better weight loss with adequate calcium intake). Maybe try alternating higher-point days with lower-point ones.

Same thing with the exercise. If you've been doing the exact same workout for 4-5 weeks, maybe your body knows what to expect and needs a little change. This can be as minor as changing the time of day your workout. Or changing the weight/resistance exercises you are doing. How about 2 sets of heavy weight for only 6-8 reps (instead of 3 sets of 20?) That kind of thing usually busts me out of my plateaus. Or, if you've been working with machines, change to a bodyweight-type workout. There are lots of variables to play with here....

You can also alternate days of shorter, high-intensity cardio with longer, low-intensity workouts. Or change modes - take a hike on the treadmill instead of using the elliptical. Or even go outside for a nice long walk when the weather permits. (A 60-minute brisk walk will burn about the same number of calories as a 30-minute hi-intensity session on an elliptical).

I am concerned that you may be approaching burnout, as well. Remember that if you get too frustrated, you will be in danger of giving up. It's important to find exercise that you enjoy enough to keep doing it for the long-term. Often that means finding ways to keep things interesting.

Let us know what changes you make this week and how it turns out on the scale next weigh-in....

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

Make sure you are eating enough- if you are exercising that intensely you should probably be eating every single pt available to you to lose or lose more- you should not or should I say NOT throwing up- it is not normal to throw up if you are really active or to feel sick for having done activity. Follow your 8 healthy guidelines, drink your water and I would say eat more food- but healthy food.

Good Luck

316/163.6/150 the past when I joined here

currently- you don't want to know

:exercise2:headover: :crazy:

I know that personally, I cannot lose unless I eat all of my points--FPs, APs, and daily. For a while my loss slowed down b/c I was valuing my workouts as 3-4 APs, and I was really earning 6-8. I ate more, and the next week I lost 3 lbs.

Also, make sure you're drinking enough water--I usually get that sick feeling when my throat is dry.

Sharon

Guest MamaArdra

thank you all for the great suggestions :) i dont eat as much as i should probably... i will make sure to eat all my APs this week...

as for the questions asked... i am really good about getting my dairy in (at least 2/day) good on my 5 fruits and veggies most days... the one thing i think i am not getting enough of is protein though... *shrug*

i am just going to stay the course and know that eventually if i keep doing the right thing i will see results :) i am going to get a good pair of running shoes though and start the C25K asap... i know that will help :)

thanks again all...

have a great long weekend