Health Discovery Network
orphanannie

Turkey Bacon?

Guest Wine Lady

Turkey bacon has NO fat to it, so when I cooked it. It looked like dried meat.

I do like it diced before cooking and fried in a pan to add to egg beaters. Add some peppers and FF cheese. Perfect start to the day.

IMO, it doesn't taste like real bacon, but it's ok. I wouldn't eat it if I were using it with breakfast to eat by itself. I like it on BLT's or mixed in with things when recipes call for bacon. To me, real bacon points aren't all that bad and worth the expense, considering what you're eating.

HW 220

CW 134

GW 129

I think it depends on how you cook it. When I just microwaved it, you could tell the difference. If you cook it in a skillet with a bit of oil, I couldn't really tell. Same with Morningstar Farms bacon. I'd try it, if nothing else, you'll probably get used to it and come to like the less greasy version :)

Recomitted 1/14/08

SW: 134

CW: 130

GW: 115

Total Weight Lost: 4 pounds

Mini-goal: 125

(Reward: tennis racquet)

We like it better than bacon. It is best cooked in a no stick skillet. Texture is not the greatest! Love it for Low point BLTS

Karen

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why can!

Guest azjuliet

I have been eating turkey bacon even before WW because regular bacon sort of grossed me out. The best that I have ever found is Jenny-O because you can bake it, micro it or skillet-cook it. The texture is definately more processed but it at least looks like bacon compared to some of the veggie bacons out there.

I like it on BLT's and have made it for the family and they couldn't tell the difference. I also like to chop it up and fry it with onions and tomato sauce and serve it over pasta, yum!

Lori

SW 245.2

CW 212.4

GW 148

The quality of the life you live has everything to do with what you're willing to give. Ralph Marston

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment

The texture is definately more processed but it at least looks like bacon compared to some of the veggie bacons out there.

That's true, and I even remarked to my roommate that my veggie bacon looked more like a dog treat than actual bacon (seriously, it could pass for a beggin' strip). But I swear once I cooked it in a pan on the stove I couldn't taste a difference, so if you're considering it, do yourself a favor and try it. It's also one point per slice though, so no real reason to go for it unless you're a veggie.

Recomitted 1/14/08

SW: 134

CW: 130

GW: 115

Total Weight Lost: 4 pounds

Mini-goal: 125

(Reward: tennis racquet)

Guest suzy-loozy

OK I eat real bacon..........

I buy the Hormel thin sliced pre-cooked bacon at Sam's Club and it is real bacon for 1 pt (2 slices) and it's awesome!

I have heard the turkey bacon at Trader Joe's is relly good, but I have to have a bit of pork fat now and then!

Making a BLT...use 4 slices...........2 pts..........

Try it, you'll like it!

Sue:exercise2

We eat the Louis Rich turkey bacon probably 4-6 days a week. Microwave 3 slices on high for 2 minutes 45 seconds to 3 minutes and it comes out great.

Also, if you can find the Esskay or Elkay brand (can't remember which one is the right name) that's really good turkey bacon too.

My kid's barely know what real bacon tastes like. ;)

Bonnie

Returning Lifetime Member

The control center of my life is my attitude.

:bcb_march:bcb_march:bcb_march

(-7) - Week 1:bcb_bigsm

We purchase one at Whole Foods, it's in the meat department where they have their ham and packaged meats. The brand is Welshire, it has no nitrates or preservatives, it's 1pt for up to 3 slices and is really good. It crisps up nicely and is just well worth it for me. I have it every morning with my hot cereal... well worth the money.

~~ Lara ~~

The world is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Live, Live Live!

weight.png

Guest lv2stmp04

We love Turkey Bacon!!!! Even used it before WW!!! :exercise2

Letha

Guest crazymamato4

Our whole family loves Turkey bacon. I started using even before WW. I love how it dosnt have that greasy taste and it cooks super fast, and I cant keep my kids away from it.